Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > Extract - Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #291
evltrtl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hello,
I am planing on brewing this as a gift to my little sister-in-law for her 21st B-day. I have scanned this entire thread and have a few questions.
1. The original recipe states no starter used. Have you ever used a starter with this recipe and if so, is there a noticeable difference?
2. I have not had much success using a secondary. Have you ever made this with a long primary?
3. I have read may tips on wort transfer to secondary. Do you have any of your own to share that have been successful for you?
This recipe sounds great and I cant wait to brew it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #292
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by evltrtl View Post
Hello,
I am planing on brewing this as a gift to my little sister-in-law for her 21st B-day. I have scanned this entire thread and have a few questions.
1. The original recipe states no starter used. Have you ever used a starter with this recipe and if so, is there a noticeable difference?
2. I have not had much success using a secondary. Have you ever made this with a long primary?
3. I have read may tips on wort transfer to secondary. Do you have any of your own to share that have been successful for you?
This recipe sounds great and I cant wait to brew it!
1) You don't really need a starter on this beer. If you have a good fresh smack-pack or rehydrated yeast its OK. Beers over 1.050 probably should have a starter or two yeast packs. I normally don't for this beer,but you could, but I doubt flavor-wise you could tell whether or not a starter was used. According to the Mr Malty yeast calculator it says to use one. Its really up to you since I think its borderline. I think Wyeast has their cut-off at 1.050, meaning over this use a starter.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

2) I have made this several times using just a primary. I used to secondary alot when I first started kegging. I was brewing alot so I used my 8 galllon brew buckets over rigging a blow off. Using the 2ndary freed up my brew buckets.

3) Use an auto-siphon and racking cane. This tool is indispensable for me. Try racking w/o splashing much and you will be fine. Taking your time and planning is big part of brewing as is cleanliness and patience.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 03-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #293
okiedog
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

+1 on "Taking your time and planning". I'm not a veteran brewer, but it didn't take long for me to realize that cleaning what you can as you go makes cleanup much easier. I'm sure anxious to start kegging though. I just ordered my starter kegging system yesterday.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #294
laerck
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

My LHBs only has white labs, so what would be your suggestion for a replacement?
According to this the best replacement for the Wyeast American Ale II is the WLP California Ale V, however Im wondering if the Irish ale yeast would be better for this brew, although my LHBs has both yeasts.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #295
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laerck View Post
My LHBs only has white labs, so what would be your suggestion for a replacement?
According to this the best replacement for the Wyeast American Ale II is the WLP California Ale V, however Im wondering if the Irish ale yeast would be better for this brew, although my LHBs has both yeasts.
Either would be good. My choice would be the Irish ale yeast.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 07-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #296
zeptrey
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I used the California V with no starter and it took a good while for the yeasties to do their job; however, a week in to bottle conditioning the beer tastes great! Got another couple of weeks to go, but I'm pumped to get these bad boys in the fridge. Thanks to this brew I got the wife on board with my brewing...good job sir, good job! She's now spearheading my keezer project, which is fine with me.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #297
SheriffWhiteChocolate
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla

Either would be good. My choice would be the Irish ale yeast.
So I have seen terms partial boil and full boil thrown around. What does that mean exactly?

Old 09-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #298
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Partial boil means that you don't boil the full wort volume. 5-6 gallons. Maybe up to 3 gallons. The limiting factor that has to do with this, is the size of your brew kettle. Not everybody starting out has the large kettle or the heat source. Electric stoves and gas stoves generally require a long time to get five or six gallons to a boil. Thirty to forty minutes. Maybe longer. Many people use Turkey Fryers for larger boil volumes.

Full boil is what it sounds, full wort volume plus whatever evaporates.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 09-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #299
SheriffWhiteChocolate
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
Partial boil means that you don't boil the full wort volume. 5-6 gallons. Maybe up to 3 gallons. The limiting factor that has to do with this, is the size of your brew kettle. Not everybody starting out has the large kettle or the heat source. Electric stoves and gas stoves generally require a long time to get five or six gallons to a boil. Thirty to forty minutes. Maybe longer. Many people use Turkey Fryers for larger boil volumes.

Full boil is what it sounds, full wort volume plus whatever evaporates.
Ah. I've just always done full boil. Didn't know partial was an option. Also, I'm using a giant bucket fill with water to stick my fermenter in. What should be the temp of the water generalize it please. I do put ice in it. But I don't wanna get it too cold right?

Old 12-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #300
Dozzi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I am planning to brew this next. It will be my third batch.
The recipe calls for Briess LME which is not available where I come from. I can only use Muntons LME (extra light liquid malt extract). Being relatively new to homebrewing does this mean it would change the taste. Any comments on using Muntons?

EDIT:
I found I am missing most of ingredients ...

Original recipe:
85.6 6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
7.1 0.50 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
3.6 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
1.9 0.13 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.9 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

My recipe:
Muntons LME
Cara Pils I (or II or III?)? I know this is not the same as caramel pills.
Weyermann melanoidin/fawcett brown ?

Dingemans Biscuit Malt Belgium
Muntons chocolate malt?

Is there any way I could brew this recipe and not some different recipe?

I also can get Dingemans Cara 20 (grain) or some Dingemans Aroma ...

Quick Reply