Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > Extract - Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #211
smata67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Every bit as good as claimed, lacing all the way down to the bottom of the glass. Will definitely brew again soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #212
nos33
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this is your recipe

85.6 6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
7.1 0.50 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
3.6 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
1.9 0.13 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.9 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

I am browsing my LHB online store and have found comparatively close ingredients. the site is http://www.beernut.com/zen-cart/ and have found the following goodies.

1. 6.0 lbs coopers light malt extract (LME)
2. 1/2 lb Dingman's Cara 45. (caramel malt) from your recipe
3. .13 lb Dingman's Biscuit Malt
4. .13 lb Dingman's Chocolate Malt
5. 1oz EK Goldings Hops
6. 1oz Willamet Hops

I am missing the 1/2 lb special roast malt Americas and they don't have the WYeast 1272 American Ale II.

They have white labs stuff in ales. should i go with the Irish Ale Yeast or the California ale yeast? And what can I do with the missing americas malts

Old 01-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #213
Irisndfan2
Recipes 

Well I finnally got to brew this today. Unfortunately my LHBS was out of EK goldings HOps and they didnt have the best alternatives either(Which im pissed about because a month ago they had Goldings). So I eneded up using willamente for both hops additions, will this screw up the taste?? Also they didnt have LME only Extra LME, how will this effect the beer? thanks.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #214
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

went and picked up the ingredients for this on saturday at my LHBS

i grabbed Special B - Belgian not realizing that it wasn't the same as the special roast

will this significantly change the profile of the beer?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #215
RogueVassar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisndfan2 View Post
Well I finnally got to brew this today. Unfortunately my LHBS was out of EK goldings HOps and they didnt have the best alternatives either(Which im pissed about because a month ago they had Goldings). So I eneded up using willamente for both hops additions, will this screw up the taste?? Also they didnt have LME only Extra LME, how will this effect the beer? thanks.
I doubt the extract will have much affect. The willamette will change the character but I bet it will taste great (wish I could try it!). It will still be a malty beer just with a bit more American taste. I'm interested to hear back about it once you try it.

Member of the Milltown Mashers

Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #216
IndyMatt
Recipes 

My LBS only had the 3.3lb LME Briess jars, would adding 6.6 instead of 6.0 of LME be an issue? I can measure it out but if it isn't going to be a big deal then I won't go to the trouble.

Looking forward to this one!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #217
smata67
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
My LBS only had the 3.3lb LME Briess jars, would adding 6.6 instead of 6.0 of LME be an issue? I can measure it out but if it isn't going to be a big deal then I won't go to the trouble.

Looking forward to this one!
Use it all, you'll be fine.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #218
Irisndfan2
Recipes 

how much priming sugar did you use for carbing? I am a week into fermenting and I cannot wait! I am just going to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle, hope it turns out good.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #219
Boston85
Recipes 

I made this back in the end of December. Sat in primary for 11 days at around 62 degrees, then transferred to secondary for 2 weeks at 62 degrees. Decided to keg it, so transferred to the keg and wanted to carb it pretty quickly. Turned up to about 30 PSI and shook the keg around for about a minute. It carbed up pretty fast, and has now been in there about 2 weeks. The beer tastes very sweet when I try it... almost yeasty, but I cannot really tell. Do you just think that it needs to settle a bit more in the keg before it is good and ready?

Old 02-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #220
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos33 View Post
this is your recipe

85.6 6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
7.1 0.50 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
3.6 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
1.9 0.13 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.9 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

I am browsing my LHB online store and have found comparatively close ingredients. the site is http://www.beernut.com/zen-cart/ and have found the following goodies.

1. 6.0 lbs coopers light malt extract (LME)
2. 1/2 lb Dingman's Cara 45. (caramel malt) from your recipe
3. .13 lb Dingman's Biscuit Malt
4. .13 lb Dingman's Chocolate Malt
5. 1oz EK Goldings Hops
6. 1oz Willamet Hops

I am missing the 1/2 lb special roast malt Americas and they don't have the WYeast 1272 American Ale II.

They have white labs stuff in ales. should i go with the Irish Ale Yeast or the California ale yeast? And what can I do with the missing americas malts
Use the irish ale yeast. The missing malt will leave out the roasted taste. Not a bad change but it won't be the same.

Quote:
The hops will not change it much if you add the right amount. If the alfa acid of the hop is way different it can change the ibu or effect the bitterness. As for the malt the beer will be lighter in taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
went and picked up the ingredients for this on saturday at my LHBS

i grabbed Special B - Belgian not realizing that it wasn't the same as the special roast

will this significantly change the profile of the beer?
Special B will make it taste quite different. It will have a raison-like taste to it afterwards. Thats not necessarily bad. Just different.

Quote:
how much priming sugar did you use for carbing? I am a week into fermenting and I cannot wait! I am just going to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle, hope it turns out good.
Use five oz of corn sugar to prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston85 View Post
I made this back in the end of December. Sat in primary for 11 days at around 62 degrees, then transferred to secondary for 2 weeks at 62 degrees. Decided to keg it, so transferred to the keg and wanted to carb it pretty quickly. Turned up to about 30 PSI and shook the keg around for about a minute. It carbed up pretty fast, and has now been in there about 2 weeks. The beer tastes very sweet when I try it... almost yeasty, but I cannot really tell. Do you just think that it needs to settle a bit more in the keg before it is good and ready?
Your problem is that 62f was too cold. Its sweet because it wasn't done fermenting. Now that is carbbed its alittle late to do much of anything. You could yank it from the fridge, let warm up, siphon back to a fermenter, after a few days repitch some yeast. It can't tell you how it will turn out after all of that. Id do that rather than drink sweet beer.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply