Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > Extract - Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #141
Grasslands
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Alrighty, I placed my order at my LHBS for this recipe. The only subs I had to make were Light Chocolate malt, Fuggles for Goldings, and WLP051 for Wyeast.

I'll be brewin' this up on Saturday. Can't wait!

GrassLands Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #142
Robsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did two batchs about 4 weeks ago. I did an American Ale and this red. I am JUST NOW putting this into the secondary. I hope its not going to mess anything up. Im going to leave it in the secondary for a few weeks too. I should be okay right?

Old 08-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #143
RogueVassar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsbrew View Post
I did two batchs about 4 weeks ago. I did an American Ale and this red. I am JUST NOW putting this into the secondary. I hope its not going to mess anything up. Im going to leave it in the secondary for a few weeks too. I should be okay right?
We were overwhelmed when we made this and probably left it for about 7 weeks on primary and it came out amazing. Personally, I would say that you shouldn't feel like you need to do a secondary and could bottle it now if you wanted...

Member of the Milltown Mashers

Old 08-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #144
Robsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Need more bottles or gotta get my kegerator together! It is eating at me so bad!!!! I've been wanting to do this recipe for a LONG time and finally did now I dont have the bottles or my keg stuff together to do it!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #145
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Just dry hopped today with 1oz Willamette. That should add a nice aroma to it...

Also, when i put it in front of the window when dry hopping, it is seriously fire engine red. the color on this badboy is amazing!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:43 AM   #146
krz2fer
Recipes 

I'm stoked to try out this recipe! Would love to do a full boil, though. Is this possible? Let me know what may need to be tweaked.

Regarding the recipe, I'm worried my local brew shop doesn't have everything I need (will drop by tomorrow), so I've been looking at NB for extras to get shipped my week's end. I only see Briess DME, and I'm not seeing the four malt variations you mention. Can you point me in the right direction?

The recipe and reviews sound fantastic. Can't wait to get this fall brew going this weekend.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #147
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by krz2fer View Post
I'm stoked to try out this recipe! Would love to do a full boil, though. Is this possible? Let me know what may need to be tweaked.

Regarding the recipe, I'm worried my local brew shop doesn't have everything I need (will drop by tomorrow), so I've been looking at NB for extras to get shipped my week's end. I only see Briess DME, and I'm not seeing the four malt variations you mention. Can you point me in the right direction?

The recipe and reviews sound fantastic. Can't wait to get this fall brew going this weekend.
Earlier in this thread Sherlenka linked the Beer Reciprator - that'll help you hit your target IBU's/color/ABV/etc. I did a full-boil of this last night and I still ended up using the same amount of hops - 5% and 3.2% respective AAUs aren't enough to turn me away.

Regarding the other malts, your LHBS should have at least most of them - look under grains if they have a website.

I ended up with an OG of 1.053 - will most likely combat the extra IBUs. Can't wait!

GrassLands Brewery

Old 08-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #148
Robsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I racked this in my secondary and it does have a great red tint to it. Im going to put it in a keg soon and let it condition there. That will give me time to build my kegarator and get all my stuff together piece by piece!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #149
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasslands View Post
Earlier in this thread Sherlenka linked the Beer Reciprator - that'll help you hit your target IBU's/color/ABV/etc. I did a full-boil of this last night and I still ended up using the same amount of hops - 5% and 3.2% respective AAUs aren't enough to turn me away.

Regarding the other malts, your LHBS should have at least most of them - look under grains if they have a website.

I ended up with an OG of 1.053 - will most likely combat the extra IBUs. Can't wait!
Here is the calculator link: http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

Just tweak the 60 minute hop addition to hit 20-22 IBUs.

Caramel Pils Malt is the one that befuddles most people. Its basically a 5 SRM crystal malt. (Subsitute 50% 10L Crystal & 50% Carapils: so use about 1/4# of each to make 1/2# of Caramel Pils)

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 08-31-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #150
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Currently cold crashing! OH MAN I CANT WAIT

Quick Reply