Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > Extract - Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #121
Bowtiebrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I like it, and based on the thread responses I will, I will certainly be going with an AG recipe next time.... I ended up doing a 10g batch last night... ended up with a 1.051 OG.

The only thing I am trying to do with this batch is that I split it and will be using the 1272 Ale yeast and for the other 5 Gallons I will be fermenting with US-05 to see the differences...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #122
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Just brewed a version of this yesterday. Took a few liberties with ingredients though.

Instead of regular tap water, I took 6 gallons of water from a lake about 100 miles north of Ottowa (deemed clean drinking water). It's a place I've been camping every year since I was 5 and this year I decided to make a little something out of it (beer, in case you couldn't guess).

Anyways, ingredients:
WYeast 1272, American Ale II
6.6lbs Muntons LME
4oz CaraPils
4oz Crystal
6oz CaraAmber
2oz Chocolate
1oz Goldings Hops
1oz Willamette Hops
1 tsp Irish Moss

I dont know the water profile. I'm not quite up to that level yet though I'd love to learn how...

So, I heated 3gal of water for the wort to 170F and steeped all the grains for 30 minutes. While I did that, I boiled the other two gallons just to make sure any bacteria or nasties in the lake were killed, even though it is considered drinking quality water (the water came directly from the lake through a faucet-pump). When they were boiled for about 15 mins, i emptied them into the primary in an ice bath to cool them down in preparation for the wort to go in (stupid homemade immersion chiller was leaking).
Anyways, after 30 minutes of steeping the grains, I brought the wort to a boil and stirred in the LME and Goldings Hops (had 4 hot breaks, 1 literally the moment the hops touched the water). At the 40min mark, I added the teaspoon of Irish Moss and lastly at 57mins, I threw in the Willamette Hops (with one more hot break to top it off).

I dumped the wort into the primary already in the icebath. However, at this time, i was very low in volume since i boiled the other two gallons previously. Thinking too fast, I dumped in the final gallon of water that had not been sterilized to bring the volume up. At first, I did not think anything of this, but afterwards, I realized that this water did come from a lake in the wild... I honestly think it will be ok since it was poured immediately on just-boiling water, is deemed drinkable, and if something is to be in there, it won't kill me to drink it.

To cool it off, I aerated it a bit and it rapidly cooled to 74.5. OG was 1.045 before pitching the yeast. Let's hope everything goes ok with this one!

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas for me, or any concerns for that matter about the unsterilized lake water? It's day one and already the primary is absolutely FREAKING out which tells me that the yeasties are definitely hard at work...

Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #123
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwndabear View Post

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas for me, or any concerns for that matter about the unsterilized lake water? It's day one and already the primary is absolutely FREAKING out which tells me that the yeasties are definitely hard at work...
If its raging already I'm guessing the yeast have taken over and doing its thing. Probably not an issue.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 08-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #124
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A buddy of mine and I are going to brew two separate batches of this towards the end of the month as a pseudo-challenge. We used to do batches together, now we're doing them on our own. Essentially for this, we'll have to substitute a few things, primarily the LME. My LHBS has 4 different LME versions: Amber, Dark, Light and Wheat. I'm planning on using the amber for this.

I was wondering how the chocolate malt affects the beer in this recipe. I know it's about 2 oz, but perhaps someone could enlighten me? I'm also considering subbing WLP004 (Irish Ale Yeast) and I'm wondering how that'll change the taste as opposed to using WLP051 California V (subbed for Wyeast 1272 - LHBS doesn't carry wyeast). I'd appreciate it!

GrassLands Brewery

Last edited by Grasslands; 08-12-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #125
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

So the primary was going absolutely nutso for the first few days (sun-wed). Yesterday, I didnt see anything going on nor today. Today I checked the SG and it came out exactly the same as the target SG: 1.012. Is this an issue? Im going out of town tonight and will be back on sunday to check it again. If it doesn't move from 1.012 I am going to rack to the secondary where, I assume, the SG will drop even more.

I'm not really concerned about this at all, but I'm wondering what this means for the final product. Any thoughts?

Old 08-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #126
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwndabear View Post
So the primary was going absolutely nutso for the first few days (sun-wed). Yesterday, I didnt see anything going on nor today. Today I checked the SG and it came out exactly the same as the target SG: 1.012. Is this an issue? Im going out of town tonight and will be back on sunday to check it again. If it doesn't move from 1.012 I am going to rack to the secondary where, I assume, the SG will drop even more.

I'm not really concerned about this at all, but I'm wondering what this means for the final product. Any thoughts?
You should be fine. If you're hitting the target SG, then you're on track. Also, keep in mind that more time in the fermenter can't hurt.

GrassLands Brewery

Old 08-14-2010, 01:36 AM   #127
Robsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed this this past weekend.m It Fermented HARD for about 2 to 3 days. Ive had it in the primary for a weeks now but think I am going to leave it there for a little bit longer. It smells great!

Old 08-14-2010, 02:38 AM   #128
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasslands View Post
A buddy of mine and I are going to brew two separate batches of this towards the end of the month as a pseudo-challenge. We used to do batches together, now we're doing them on our own. Essentially for this, we'll have to substitute a few things, primarily the LME. My LHBS has 4 different LME versions: Amber, Dark, Light and Wheat. I'm planning on using the amber for this.

I was wondering how the chocolate malt affects the beer in this recipe. I know it's about 2 oz, but perhaps someone could enlighten me? I'm also considering subbing WLP004 (Irish Ale Yeast) and I'm wondering how that'll change the taste as opposed to using WLP051 California V (subbed for Wyeast 1272 - LHBS doesn't carry wyeast). I'd appreciate it!
The chocolate malt will add color and a slightly roasted taste. The biscuit does add a nice bit of color too, with a toasty finish.

Any UK ale yeast would be ok in my opinion. Look for one that has a temp range that works for your fermenting climate. BTW - Any standard American ale who be ok too.

BS Nano-Brewery

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 08-14-2010 at 02:41 AM.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #129
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
The chocolate malt will add color and a slightly roasted taste. The biscuit does add a nice bit of color too, with a toasty finish.

Any UK ale yeast would be ok in my opinion. Look for one that has a temp range that works for your fermenting climate. BTW - Any standard American ale who be ok too.
Thanks! I have to be on top of my game from time to time as my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast (unless special ordered). Like I said, my buddy and I are engaging in some healthy competition using the same ingredients - though I'm wondering how the Irish yeast might change the complexity of the beer as opposed to an American Ale yeast. My guess would be not too much as there are a bunch of other competing flavors going on in this batch.

Fermentation temps aren't a concern as we've both got dedicated chambers.

Additionally, I forgot to mention that we'd be doing full-boils for this - I'm expecting that we'd have to back off the hop additions by about a 1/4th oz, right?

I appreciate your help and I'm definitely looking forward to this!

GrassLands Brewery

Old 08-16-2010, 11:52 PM   #130
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasslands View Post
Thanks! I have to be on top of my game from time to time as my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast (unless special ordered). Like I said, my buddy and I are engaging in some healthy competition using the same ingredients - though I'm wondering how the Irish yeast might change the complexity of the beer as opposed to an American Ale yeast. My guess would be not too much as there are a bunch of other competing flavors going on in this batch.

Fermentation temps aren't a concern as we've both got dedicated chambers.

Additionally, I forgot to mention that we'd be doing full-boils for this - I'm expecting that we'd have to back off the hop additions by about a 1/4th oz, right?

I appreciate your help and I'm definitely looking forward to this!
Use this recipe calculator; http://www.recipator.com use the spreadsheet link.

It will help you correct your recipe.

BS Nano-Brewery

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 08-16-2010 at 11:57 PM.

Quick Reply