Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > Extract - Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #91
fatherbigfoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Brand new to this

So this will be my first attempt at brewing a recipe that I really am looking forward to trying this but I have some basic questions about the recipe lay out. I have gathered all the ingrediants that I see but one think I don't understand is am I suppose to add dextrose to my wort before I put it in my primary fermenter. I know it needs 5oz of dextrose to prime it before racking. Also Does this recipe call for a dry malt extract or liquid malt extract? (which is what I thought LME stood for) Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 02:10 AM   #92
Eigenbrau
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherbigfoot View Post
So this will be my first attempt at brewing a recipe that I really am looking forward to trying this but I have some basic questions about the recipe lay out. I have gathered all the ingrediants that I see but one think I don't understand is am I suppose to add dextrose to my wort before I put it in my primary fermenter. I know it needs 5oz of dextrose to prime it before racking. Also Does this recipe call for a dry malt extract or liquid malt extract? (which is what I thought LME stood for) Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
For this recipe, it's liquid malt extract (LME). Adding dextrose will be the very last stage of the process before you bottle the beer. You will add your wort to the primary and allow it to ferment, then (optionally) drop it into the secondary to settle out. The last step will be to transfer it to a bottling bucket (if available) and add the dextrose, then bottle. The dextrose will be consumed by the yeast while in the bottle and used to carbonate the beer.

Secondary: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Bourbon Vanilla Porter

On Tap: Empty

Upcoming: Raspberry hefeweizen, experimentation with essential oils

Old 03-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #93
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
FBF - You might want to read the section on extract brewing in this link. This will help you a lot.

www.howtobrew.com

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 03-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #94
fatherbigfoot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thank you guys for all the help. One other thing my LHBS that I got my ingrediants from was out of LME so I got DME instead I know that DME is more concentrated than LME and you sould only use 80% of what you would use if you were using LME so for this recipe instead of 6lbs of LME 4.8lbs of DME. The question is the DME came in 3lb bags and I got two of them so should I weigh out ~5lbs or can i just add that extra pound and what will it do to my beer besides give it more ABV and make it ferment longer?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #95
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Thank you guys for all the help. One other thing my LHBS that I got my ingrediants from was out of LME so I got DME instead I know that DME is more concentrated than LME and you sould only use 80% of what you would use if you were using LME so for this recipe instead of 6lbs of LME 4.8lbs of DME. The question is the DME came in 3lb bags and I got two of them so should I weigh out ~5lbs or can i just add that extra pound and what will it do to my beer besides give it more ABV and make it ferment longer?
Definitely weigh it out. Save the rest for something else. Keep it in a tupper-ware tub, tear off the label and stuff it inside with the DME. It will store well and you'll know what it is for next time.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 03-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #96
jamie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

LHBS didn't have the Special Roast Malt so here is my mod:

Type: Extract
Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale
OG: 1.043
FG: 1.012

6 lb Light DME
1/2 lb Caramel Pils Malt
1/4 lb Brown Malt
0.13 lb Biscuit Malt
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt

1 oz Goldings (60 min)
1 oz Fuggles (1 min)

Primary: 7 days @ 18 degC
Secondary: 14 days @ 18 degC

Turned out really good. Not as nutty as the original but the brown malt provides a nice alternative.

One thing that I love about this beer is the flavour stays in your mouth for a long time even after you take a small sip!

Last edited by jamie3; 03-30-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #97
rshortt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie3 View Post
LHBS didn't have the Special Roast Malt so here is my mod:

Type: Extract
Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale
OG: 1.043
FG: 1.012

6 lb Light DME
1/2 lb Caramel Pils Malt
1/4 lb Brown Malt
0.13 lb Biscuit Malt
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt

1 oz Goldings (60 min)
1 oz Fuggles (1 min)

Primary: 7 days @ 18 degC
Secondary: 14 days @ 18 degC

Turned out really good. Not as nutty as the original but the brown malt provides a nice alternative.

One thing that I love about this beer is the flavour stays in your mouth for a long time even after you take a small sip!
Jamie3, that looks really good!! I see you're also in Nova Scotia, cool!

What LHBS do you go to where you had to substitute? I'm making this next.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #98
jamie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshortt View Post
Jamie3, that looks really good!! I see you're also in Nova Scotia, cool!

What LHBS do you go to where you had to substitute? I'm making this next.
Hey another nova scotianer!

I order all my stuff from Noble Grape (cole harbour and burnside). The staff is really knowledgeable and always friendly.

If you are located in the halifax area I can drop one of these beers off for you.

Cheers.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #99
rshortt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie3 View Post
Hey another nova scotianer!

I order all my stuff from Noble Grape (cole harbour and burnside). The staff is really knowledgeable and always friendly.
Yeah I get my stuff from Noble Grape in Burnside they seem to know what they're doing and have a decent amount of beer supplies.

Quote:
If you are located in the halifax area I can drop one of these beers off for you.

Cheers.
That would be awesome! I live in Dartmouth and work in Bedford. I'm only getting ready to keg my first brew and if it's any good I'll return the favour. PM on it's way.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #100
fatherbigfoot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed this recipe this last weekend it was my first brew it went really well and with in 12 hours of putting it in my fermenter it was bubbling away I really hope it turns out well

Quick Reply