Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (All Grain) Scrapper's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
wyeast 1272
Yeast Starter
1-Liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Foam is good eatin\' with a spoon. Typical taste red ale, English hops is notable
Quaffable Irish Red - Scrapper's Baby Beer. (My son's celebratory baby beer!)

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

09-D Scottish And Irish Ale, Irish Red Ale

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 17 Max IBU: 28
Min Clr: 9 Max Clr: 18 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.50
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.64
Anticipated SRM: 10.6
Anticipated IBU: 38.2 & 20.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 18.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 7.32 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.038 SG 9.61 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
85.7 9.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
8.6 0.90 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2 (Substitute 50/50 Blend Carapils & Crystal 10L)
2.9 0.30 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
1.4 0.15 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
1.4 0.15 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops (38.2 IBUs) Very Hoppy Version!!
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.60 oz. Galena Whole 13.00 29.1 60 min.
1.20 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 10.8 30 min.
Hops (21.1) Virtually Identical to Extract Version - RECOMMENDED!
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 17.5 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 3.1 1 min.
Yeast
-----

WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step
Heat Type: Infusion

Grain Lbs: 10.50
Water Qts: 11.38 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 2.84 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.08 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.00
Grain Temp: 80 F

Dough In Temp: 164 Time: 0
Saccharification Rest Temp: 152 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp: 160 Time: 10
Sparge Temp: 160 Time: 0

Runnings Stopped At: 1.010 SG 2.56 Plato

Additional Infusion Temperatures And Amounts
--------------------------------------------

Mash Out Step: 7.19 Qts of 175 Degree Water Added

Total Mash Volume Gal: 5.48 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

As soon as I poured this beer I saw a similarity. Both Big & Fluffy!!!

Beer Head

Aiden_s_1st_Beer_003.jpg

Baby's Head

Aiden_s_1st_Beer_001.jpg

More Beer Head

Aiden_s_1st_Beer_006.jpg

Why not another...

Aiden_s_1st_Beer_007.jpg

I also have this beer recipe posted as an extract.

I can't believe how tasty this sucker was last night. The head retention of this beer is awesome. Even at the last oz it had a 1/8" of that thick foamy head. Lace down the glass with lots of tiny bubbles.

I think this has been one of my best beers since June of last year!

I'm going to be trying this out as my first all grain...What mash temp do you recomend?
Thanks

I'm going to be trying this out as my first all grain...What mash temp do you recomend?
Thanks

An Irish Red at a 1047, I'd say it mashes a bit high to retain some malt tones.

If I were going to have a go (and I just might), I'd do a 155 mash temp at 50 minutes. Should leave some residual sweetness and full body.

If I were going to have a go (and I just might), I'd do a 155 mash temp at 50 minutes. Should leave some residual sweetness and full body.

Cool, I'll shoot for 155...thanks for the quick help!
-Fozzie

That's a good idea. This one is hopped up pretty good.

I made this sucker as a baby beer. Made it good and hoppy because SWMBO complained about hard this boy kicked. :D

For the same reason, I also pushed the limit on carbonation. I believe it was close to 3.0 volumes. Consider that when looking at the rocky head billowing out the glass. It could have been better off poured in a hefe glass. (see pictures above)

IMO-3.0 volumes was a bit too much for this brew. (2.75 is better. ~ 1oz corn sugar per gallon.)

I loved this beer for flavor and lacey head that stays on the glass.

How does this one taste when young? I'm brewing a couple of batches for a party, and it looks like I'll only have 4-5 weeks from grain to glass. This one is definitely in my queue though, just maybe not for the party.

How does this one taste when young? I'm brewing a couple of batches for a party, and it looks like I'll only have 4-5 weeks from grain to glass. This one is definitely in my queue though, just maybe not for the party.

I'd guess that a 47 OG and a 40 IBU would be pretty damn good in 4-5 weeks.

If you keg...that is.

2 weeks primary.
1 week secondary on gelatin.
Keg and chill for 2 weeks on the gas.

Should pour clear and smooth.

I'd guess that a 47 OG and a 40 IBU would be pretty damn good in 4-5 weeks.

If you keg...that is.

2 weeks primary.
1 week secondary on gelatin.
Keg and chill for 2 weeks on the gas.

Should pour clear and smooth.

Thanks for the response. This crowd is a group of huge Smithwicks fans, so I'm sure a good Irish Red would go over well. :mug:

I'll post with results in a couple of months.

I drank this beer at 4 & 6 weeks. Primary to 2ndary, then bottling and after carbing. It was good every step along the way.

I think the key here and in most beers is to let them stay on the primary for 3 weeks maybe 4 then bottle/keg or 2ndary. I think the green beer flavor dissipates faster since you still have a good supply of yeast to eat up the sugars.

This is not my idea, I read Jamil Zainashef's book and this is what he recommends. It works for me.

To answer your question, Yes. It should be good at that time. Kegging will make it a bit faster. Force carbing and what not.

Actually, I'm doing my own hop schedule. .5 oz German Northern Brewer at 60, and .5 oz Willamette at 30 to arrive at about 22 IBU. I plan to bring this beer to a party at my Sister's place where there will likely be a lot of BMC fans, so I wanted to go easy on the bitter and very little aroma to keep it as user friendly as possible. If it was for me, I would have taken the high road.

[update] I just kegged this today to free up a carboy. The hydrometer sample tasted very good. Nice and malty with just enough bitter to balance. Should be a crowd pleaser, very quaffable. It looks less red than I expected though, more brown with hints of red. *shrug* Thanks for the recipe.

I brewed this 9 weeks ago and it has become so delicious; I brewed the "hoppy" version to the letter. I don't consider it hoppy (Hopslam is basically a session ale to me :p) but the malt flavor is awesome.

My version of this needed some hop aroma, since it basically had none, but I guess I did something right, since it was gone in less than 2 days with only 3 guys drinking on it. It was very quaffable. I'll make it again.

How's she tasting now?

Not my finest beer. Didn't stir the sugar into the bottling bucket, so half were flat, and the other half were gushers. So none were exactly right, sadly.

The ones that were right, people liked a lot. Mine seemed very bready, probably from the biscuit. Can't say much except that I had done it right, I'm sure it would have an amazing beer!

It seems an ideal time to cease lurking this thread now as I am going to brew my 4th ten gallon batch of the normal-hop version:

I go from primary fermenter to the serving keg ~3weeks of room temperature (75F) fermentation. I don't secondary this beer. The first batch I fermented at 65F in a controlled environment. However, the chocolate seems much more pronounced when fermenting at room temperature.

The biscuit and chocolate flavors are an excellent combination young. We begin drinking the batches force-carbonated at 3-4 weeks. At 5-6 weeks the young flavors meld and the hint of chocolate is left on the finish.

Flavor seems ideal ~46-50F. If you over-carbonate or chill below 46, you lose the chocolate finish.

Definitely quaffable! :mug:

I've done several batches of the extract version of this (and made some of my own modifications to the grain bill), but now I'm going to step forward in life and attempt the all-grain version of this. This is a fantastic recipe and I can't give praise to the taste of this beer enough!

My question is, for the grain bill on this, will Rahr 2-row American work? I'm still new to grain and haven't got the grasp of exactly what "Pale" means by definition. I've found several 2-row American malts, several pale malts, and there doesn't appear to be much difference. What grain is everyone utilizing?

I use both pale and two row. Not much difference. I cant tell you if they are distinctly different. I used them interchangeably.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'll pick up a 50 lbs. bag of the 2-row. The only notable difference I saw was in the color. This will be my very first all-grain recipe, so still lots of questions. Kudos on the amazing recipe though, absolutely wonderful beer loved by all.

Brewed this last night, Mashed at 154 for 60mins...ill let you guys know how it turned out. gravity readings and everything were nice, fermenting great, looks to be good so far

Cheers for the recipe:mug:

Brewed this last night and looks good so far. Mashed at 155 (actually ended up closer to 157 thanks to a temp sensor calibration screwup) for 50 minutes. Will post a review of how it turns out. Have a friend right from Ireland who luvs smithwicks. We will see how she likes it.

Brewed this last night and looks good so far. Mashed at 155 (actually ended up closer to 157 thanks to a temp sensor calibration screwup) for 50 minutes. Will post a review of how it turns out. Have a friend right from Ireland who luvs smithwicks. We will see how she likes it.

It might be hoppier than she would expect. I made this rather hoppy

Shes not shy, I am sure she will let me know if she doesnt care for it. She never hesitates to correct anyone who calls it "Smith-wicks" instead of the Irish proper "Smyth-ics" or "Smidicks". She almost made a waiter cry in an Irish Pub in Naples, Fla over that one.

what about replacing the Goldings with another 1 oz of williamette for the 21.1? seeing as how I have plenty of williamette hanging around.

I'm also considering using s-04 since I love how it compacts down....

How 'red' does this turn out? Would swapping out the chocolate malt for some roasted barley help or maybe just add 1-2% of it to the grain bill?

i belive all who drink beER is FRICKEN HIck hick.. hick! r more of retard than bmee

sighned by uhh drubkerd o west since 1999 tyber

i belive all who drink beER is FRICKEN HIck hick.. hick! r more of retard than bmee

sighned by uhh drubkerd o west since 1999 tyber

UB-FUBARed

Just like Qhadafi's brother-in-law, saying his four sisters are cum beltching whores.

There its no quarter four you in the palace.

Is there something I can use instead of the special roast that is not available at my LHBS ?
I got like any crytal, special B...

Is there something I can use instead of the special roast that is not available at my LHBS ?
I got like any crytal, special B...

Neither of those are good substitutes. I would need to find another roasted malt. Give me some time to find a sub. My gut tells me if they dont have special roast, they probably won't have the sub. Maybe the naming is different.

Edit : I would suggest victory or biscuit as a sub for special roast.

Thanks for the fast answer, I got the biscuit and if I don't brew it this weekend, I'll order the special roast online as I like to taste to original recipe before twiking it.

Well my man, it's official. This is my first stab at All GRAIN BREWING!!! pitched the yeast a couple of days ago and it is doing done work! I've never seen the air lock constantly moving, bubbling like a mad scientist's laboratory!!!

I only had the capacity to boil at 4 1/2 gallons And my first mash was at 3 gal and then batch sparge with 4. What kind of differences will this have in the brew?

Thanks for the recipe man, really out of mind STOKED about my AG cherry being popped.

Schlenkerla,

I just bottled the Red tonight!! I feel so stupid! I bottled the first 8 without priming hahaha!! Man I laugh now but I was pretty upset! The fg was 1.013, and it was a beatiful amber-red color. Tasted AMAZING. This is my ag cherry poppin batch, and I couldn't be more stoked to try the finished beast. Thanks again for sharing your celebration beer!!

how have all of you done with your primary/secondaries? i noticed the original recipe calls for a month in each, just wondering what else works for timing as i'm brewing this in a week or so and don't know if i want to wait 2 months.. i'll be carbing it in my keg so at least that saves a couple weeks

Back