Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Pecan Scottish 80/-

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 04:56 AM   #11
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I love this forum...The search (on this site) doesn't work for me much, but Google sends me right back here every time. I was just interested in how to use nuts in a brew. I like that paper bag idea. Kudos to you Chriso! ClutchDude the food processor...great idea, I will just chop and not use the butter setting.

Second thought, maybe a cutting board and a good chopping so that the dusty, small, particles are left to a minimum. I run my beer through a coffee filter going into keg, so clear beer always happens.

Thanks all involved.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #12
ThreeTaps
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm doing this one today, it's just about to start the boil. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

By the way, I ended up getting just under 7.5 gallons of wort from the mash tun after all sparging (Yes, I measured the right amount of mas water and sparge water).

Bottle Conditioning / Drinking: Pumpkin Spice Ale, Cherry Wheat Ale, Bee Cave IPA, EdWort's Apfelwein.
R.I.P.: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Pecan Scottish Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Blonde Ale.

RDWHAHB
Brewing Since August 17, 2009
Have a BlackBerry? Download the HBT launcher here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs
You definitely win my award for "Most Enthusiastic New Brewer".

Old 10-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Cool, do let me know how it comes out!

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 10-20-2009, 01:13 AM   #14
ThreeTaps
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Cool, do let me know how it comes out!
That 7.5 gallons of runnings (turns out beersmith was a bit off, but it's ok) boiled off to 5.5 gallons from the 90 minute boil, making my efficiency 94% with a 1.070 OG. Holy crap! 7.2%ABV Scottish Ale, nice! I made a thread trying to figure out if 94% is even possible, and after confirming everything multiple times, it appears as though it's a result of over sparging and the large boil off volume, neither of which negatively affected the brew.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Bottle Conditioning / Drinking: Pumpkin Spice Ale, Cherry Wheat Ale, Bee Cave IPA, EdWort's Apfelwein.
R.I.P.: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Pecan Scottish Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Blonde Ale.

RDWHAHB
Brewing Since August 17, 2009
Have a BlackBerry? Download the HBT launcher here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs
You definitely win my award for "Most Enthusiastic New Brewer".

Old 10-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Very nice! As long as it ferments cleanly, and the oversparge doesn't contribute to excessive tannins, everything should be just fine. It's not like 7.5g of runnings is a huge dramatic oversparge by any means! I will be eagerly watching for further developments, thanks! c

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #16
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Did you put the pecans into the boil or into the fermenter? Im not sure which will get the flavor out better?

Any advice on dry pecaning?

Old 11-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #17
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

The original post should more or less state it clearly but it bears repeating - The pecans in my recipe were used during the mash.

However you can certainly use them at multiple points throughout the beer - You could, in theory, mash with pecans, boil with some pecans, AND dry-pecan in secondary.

If you do add any to your finished beer in primary or secondary, just make sure to sanitize. Either give them one good final toast, enough to kill any bugs, and then cover with foil until they cool off -- or else put them in a measuring cup, add a shot or two of vodka (just enough to moisten/cover) and give it 30 minutes or so to sanitize.
You could also sanitize a small kitchen strainer, which would allow you to collect the vodka and pitch only the nuts into your fermenter. (If you do this, you could make a rather tasty butterscotch-pecan sort of vodka drink with the run-off! Or maybe pecan vodka + some bourbon, with Coke on ice.)

WhiteDog87 Likes This 
Old 11-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #18
WhiteDog87
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Thanks for the advice. I already made the beer and ended up adding 1/2 lb to the last 15 minutes of the boil and 1/2lb to the primary after toasting and roasting them, so I'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:52 AM   #19
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog87 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I already made the beer and ended up adding 1/2 lb to the last 15 minutes of the boil and 1/2lb to the primary after toasting and roasting them, so I'll have to wait and see how it turns out.
Happened a while ago,but how did it turn out?

Old 11-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #20
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I went ahead and made this recipe but added 1 lb crushed/toasted pecans. Did it on 10/26....I quite literally just kegged it - 11/4. Total beer mix up! Meant to leave this in primary for at least 3 weeks. Nailed the OG at 1.054 @ 75* and it finished at 1.012 @ 66* so, based on the originally posted #s I'm good to go. I'll force carb it for the next 48 hours and then just store it in a room for a couple weeks...I guess? As a flat beer, it seemed a bit sweet but good. Nut flavor is there in the background nice and subtle-like. It's more of an embrace vs a nut shot.

Good beer and thanks for the recipe OP!

Quick Reply