Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Pecan Scottish 80/-

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default All-Grain - Damn Scots! Pecan 80/-

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP028 Edinburgh Ale
Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 17
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 14
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 68F

Pecans were toasted at 300F for 10 minutes in a single layer, then poured into a paper bag to sit out overnight, hopefully getting some of the oils out of them. Pecans were roasted 10 minutes at 400F till slightly smoking. Poured into another paper bag.
Pecans were finally roasted for 10 more minutes at 350F for about 8 minutes, again, just until slightly smoking.
Between each roast, I used a flat-style crowbar and smashed as many whole nuts as I could in order to expose the maximum amount of surface area.

Mash:
9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Aromatic Malt (20.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Wheat Malt (2.3 SRM)
0.50 lb Pecans, Roasted
Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb

Mash In Add 3.5 gal of water at 165 F = 150.0 F for 75 min
Batch sparge with 5.0 gal of water at 168 F.

Taking a hint from Bearcat Brewmeister, "After the runnings clear, I collect the first 2 quarts and carmelize by boiling it down to 1 quart. "

Boil 90 minutes. Only one hop addition:
1.00 oz Goldings, US [4.70 %] (60 min) Hops 17.3 IBU

Cool and collect, take reading and pitch yeast.

Important note:
This isn't quite what I deem to be a "Tried & True" recipe. The base recipe may or may not be solid -- my results were inconclusive due to a high ferment temp and underpitching of Edinburgh Ale Yeast, which led to strong Clove off flavors. I will be doing more experiments with nuts in the future, and will be sure to link to them from here. This recipe is primarily being posted for others' reference due to all the questions I get about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 02:59 AM   #2
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wow, a hop shortage friendly recipe!

I will have to try this one. I love the creativity.

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've got this fermenting away right now with walnuts instead of pecans.

I was wondering if using a food processor then toasting might work? You'd get maximum surface area exposed and lots of oil to wick up.

Landed In Texas.
Primary 1: Blonde?(9/14/2013)
Primary 2: Empty
Sanke madness!
Sanke Spiral Ring Installing, Sanke Coupler diassembly, Keggle Heatshield, Sanke fitting to Soda kegs

Old 04-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

I just bottled the remaining 1/2 keg of this, got exactly one case out of it. It's delicious when aged for ~2 months. The pecan and banana notes (the banana is from fermenting too warm) blend into a malty, bready treat. It's just strong enough, it doesn't have any alcoholic nose to it, as it's only a 1.055 beer.... I highly recommend this recipe.

I would roast the nuts, even if you food process them, to bring out the smoky nutty flavors. Especially if you try walnuts, the smoke is worth it, IMHO. Edit: Just re-read your post, sorry, I misread your wording. You food processed, then roasted. I think this is a great idea. I might try it myself, next time. The oil wicking is exactly spot-on.

Post back here with your results, please!

I'm taking 2 bottles to a Scottish Competition tonight, I will post back w/ results.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Averaged about a 28 on this beer, unfortunately. I entered it as a plain Scottish 80/- since we were holding a very small, informal comp. It would have fared better as a specialty beer.

Biggest criticism was suspicion that I underpitched my yeast. Probably true, as I pitched with no starter. From the other comp I entered it in, others thought that I probably fermented too high, maybe even in the 74-75F range.

I think the recipe itself is solid though??????

Also was criticized for being too dark for style (for 80/- non-specialty), which is probably true. Maybe take the Roasted Barley out entirely, and rely on the roasted nuts for the same characteristics?????

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 04-16-2008, 03:15 AM   #6
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just pulled this out of the primary after 3 1/2 weeks and it tastes awfully good.I hit the gravity dead-on. I used a starter and the yeast kept fermenting up till week two. At one point it got a little too cool for the edinburgh, but never too warm. It is quite dark(darker than my room mates honey brown). Maybe you are right in the roasted barley.

I used walnuts in the mixture and I think I tasted a little smoother than I expected(my taste buds are not reliable or even accurate.)

I followed through with the pecans. I got a ton of oil right off the bat, enough to make me use three bags. However, I used a coffee grinder and I think that it is WAY too fine. Your liable to have it go right through your braid/false bottom. I'm probably going to try again, grinding before I roast them so they might not stick together. Will post here again once I try it (and hopefully with more impressions on this recipe).

In other news, looks like i'm making pecan butter.

Landed In Texas.
Sanke madness!
Sanke Spiral Ring Installing, Sanke Coupler diassembly, Keggle Heatshield, Sanke fitting to Soda kegs

Old 05-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

In the end, I used more like 20 bags that soaked up the oil. I had to layer the bags, as one bag sucked up oil in no time.

I decided to go ahead and use the pecans and did not get a stuck sparge or a lot of sediment. I used the pecans in a Southern Pecan clone that's still going, but I think it'll work out with a good taste.

Kegged this and bottled a few last night. My room mate and I pulled a sample from the siphon and MAN. It is awesome! I got none of the problems I think plagued your fermentation(see sig).

I think the recipe is quite solid. I'm just floored with how well the variety of tastes come together in the recipe. I wish that I had a commercial version to compare it with though.

If the carbonated beer is as good as the slightly chilled flat beer, I fully plan on making this a regular brew.

Landed In Texas.
Sanke madness!

Old 03-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
fastricky

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

So, really...??? No hops??

Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
defenestrate

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

there is an oz of golding @60 min

Old 06-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Correct. And for this type of recipe, any Brit hop would work. 1/2 oz Challenger would do it, as would 1 oz EKGs or 1 oz Northdown or whatever you have that smells kind of like a Fuggle.

Quick Reply