Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Jennys Irish Red

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
hough77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigapinnc
Quick question, local homebrew shop only has medium crystal as the closet thing to crystal 40. What are your thoughts on the difference it would make in your beer? I was planning on brewing it next week but was seeing if I had to order crystal 40 or not
Not sure about medium crystal, caramel is the same thing, if they have 60 or 80, just bump the amount down lower than the 40.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
cblack85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hough77 View Post
Not sure about medium crystal, caramel is the same thing, if they have 60 or 80, just bump the amount down lower than the 40.
Medium crystal is usually roughly the same as Crystal/Caramel 60. I'm not sure that I would sub with 80 just because there are distinct flavor differences that you get that reducing the amount used will not fix. Crystal/Caramel 80, in my experience, has a much sweeter character and adds some more burnt and dark fruit flavors, where crystal/caramel 40 adds more caramel and toffee flavors and is not nearly as sweet. Even if you dial back the amount you will get a different, not necessarily better/worse, flavor profile.

All of that being said, I think you would probably be fine using "medium" Crystal (Crystal 60), just dial back the amount from the original recipe.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:12 AM   #13
Bigapinnc
Recipes 

Beautiful. Thanks so much. Yea I would just rather order in crystal 40 and make your recipe the way it is supposed to be. Looks like an absolute killer brew and I plan on brewing it next weekend

Quick Reply