Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Irish Red (1st place HBT comp)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #31
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Just bought the ingredients for this and I'm extra stoked since I found this recipe a while back.

I'll be using Nottingham and I am very aware of it's relatively high attenuation. I figure I'll keep the mash ~152-154* to make sure the notty doesn't strip everything away that will make it great.

Also, due to not knowing what lovibond my LHBS's domestic roast is, I opted instead for Carafa Special II 400L. I figured it will be alright and may actually be ready faster than the 4 months you mentioned due to not having to wait for the roast to mellow. Also, in the list of specifications for the beer, for color you put "Ruby red." Do you happen to have the actual estimated SRM so I might compare?

This will also be the first brew in which I do water adjustments with salts. Going for a slightly malty profile which I'm sure will let everything shine through that should. Slightly higher calcium concentration to simulate many famous UK brewing cities.

Hopefully will be brewing this one on Monday... so I'm just going to be obsessively planning it in my head for the next two days! I'll be sure to post what changes were made in the end and how it turned out!

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #32
xiang
Recipes 

I brewed this recipe back in February, but I forgot to post. The recipe is pretty similar to my IRA, so I decided to try a lager yeast with this one. I used WLP840 in a 5gal batch. Some notes from my journal.

"Very nice beer. Great malt flavor. Has a bit more roast character then mine, roast balances well and is more inviting than anticipated. Nice dry finish. Should have done 10gal."

I filled a couple bottles from the keg so I could compare it to mine when I re-brew it using WLP840. I managed to advance my IRA recipe to the 2nd round of NHC last year. But I think I like Sacc's better. This recipe is a keeper for certain.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:21 AM   #33
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Awesome, thanks for the great feedback. I was hoping the lager yeast would really help the malt character to pop. I tried to keep the esters as low as possible but I think this will be the way to go when I re-brew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #34
beerloin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
My house Irish Red ale. It is best after 4 months of aging, so I brew 10 gallon batches and re-brew when the first keg kicks. The key to this style is malt forward but with a roasty, dry finish. Hop flavor is barely noticeable and there is no hop aroma. If you can lager, even better, use a clean lager yeast (eg. WLP840, WLP833). I only do ales though so I pitch Wyeast 1272, and ferment on the low end of the range to suppress ester production. Wyeast 1272 American Ale II is a nice, clean ale yeast that accentuates malt character. WLP051 is an exact sub for this yeast (it is the Anchor Liberty strain). If you use dry yeast, Nottingham or US-05 will work fine for this style, but if using the dry I recommend increasing the mash temp to 152*F.

This style should be crystal clear in the glass and shine ruby red when held up to a light. If you bottle condition, I recommend a two week secondary followed by pitching some English yeast like a half package of S-04 in the bottling bucket so the beer finishes nice and clear in the bottle.

Malt Bill:

12# Maris Otter (70%)
4# Vienna (24%)
12oz British Roasted Barley 500L (4%)
6oz Crystal 120L (2%)

Mash 150*F for 75 min.

Hop Bill:

2oz 4.5% AA Fuggles (75 min)
1oz 5.0% AA Goldings (15 min)

can someone scale down to 5G? i don't have any software. thanks!!!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #35
akardam
Recipes 

just brewed it exactly as you mentioned in recipe. nailed the OG on the spot, etc. except one thing, it doesnt look too red to me... it is more amber like than red..you reckon it'll open up after fermentation?
i even went from 4% to 3% of roasted barley (i'm not sure its British roasted barley, but I did buy it in England!). mmm.. These red ales are tricky! second time i try and it turns brown..

Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #36
ballegre
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hi,

I'd like to brew this beer but my SWMBO doesn't like burnt (roasty) flavors in her beer. Should I keep the roasted barley out altogether or just cut it down to half (6oz)?

I'm concerned that if I leave the roasted barley out it will change the beer too much but knowing my SWMBO she'd like the beer better with none. Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #37
Bugaboo

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just pulled my first couple pints of this bad boy. Nice beer. I would make it again. Forgot to put roasted malt on my shopping list so I nixed it from my recipe. Also I'm kind of new to brewing and my attenuation wasn't as high as i'd like (aeration problem I think), so mines a little sweeter than it should be.

Thanks for the the recipe Saccharomyces. And thanks for having saccharomyces as your name. It has made me remember how to spell

P.S. doing this again and probably will be using a lager yeast. Wanna make a couple lagers will it's winter time

"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
-Deep Thought, Jack Handy

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 11-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #38
Bugaboo

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Any thoughts about wyeast 1338 for this recipe?

"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
-Deep Thought, Jack Handy

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 11-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #39
lower1310
Recipes 

Default split lager/ale

So I brewed this up a month ago and forgot to post. I split the batch into 5 gallons lager, and 5 ale. After two weeks I moved the ale into a secondary and the initial taste was a really good beer. I'm interested to see how it will turn out in 2 more months. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #40
Paramecium
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewing this tomorrow as a 5 gallon batch. My local store had 650l roasted barley so I cut it back using beersmith to get around 16 srm. I'll let ya know how it comes out.

Primary~ Empty

Secondary~ Mosaic IPA

Kegged~

Ransack Port Oak Aged RIS

Blood Orange Hefe

Bonne Nuit Saison

Quick Reply