Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Irish Red (1st place HBT comp)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #21
Lefe21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Got around to brewing this one up yesterday, a partial mash version. Think I underestimated both my mash efficiency and how much weight of LME was in a 2L container from my LHBS, because my OG was 1.058. Also subbed Willamette for the Goldings. IBU's came in at 24 so that should balance the extra gravity nicely. I'm sure this one will still be delicious.

Thanks for the recipe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #22
rmullins
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed this yesterday, also subbing willamettes in since I had them in the freezer. Is this normally a slow starter on fermentation? I was a little over 12 hours with no activity. I might be a few degrees high. I'll head home at lunch and move into the old mans wine cellar if it hasn't started

Old 04-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #23
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In my experience 1272 is a slow starter but once it gets going it is ferocious. Don't be surprised if it blows off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #24
Jud
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Has anyone tried this with a California Ale Yeast WLP001?

Beer is proof God loves us, and wants us to be happy.
-Ben Franklin

Old 05-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #25
akardam
Recipes 

Do you reckon Sacc that honey could enter your recipe? It would be nice to have a scent of honey into a ruby red roasty ale..

And, as for roasted barley; do you mash with the other malts for the entire mash time? or do you just dip it into your mash during the last 15 min or so? maybe stupid question, i just have no clue..

Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #26
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akardam View Post
Do you reckon Sacc that honey could enter your recipe? It would be nice to have a scent of honey into a ruby red roasty ale..
I don't think honey will do anything for this recipe, it's so subtle unless you use something like buckwheat or wildflower honey, it won't come through, and the more flavorful honey would clash with the flavors of the brew since it's mostly floral.

Quote:
And, as for roasted barley; do you mash with the other malts for the entire mash time? or do you just dip it into your mash during the last 15 min or so? maybe stupid question, i just have no clue..
My water is rather alkaline so I include it throughout the full mash time. It is possible to add the dark malt at the end (essentially just steeping it in the mash) if your water is soft, that will help prevent the mash pH from dropping too low and is a technique I have used before (eg schwartzbier).

Quote:

Old 05-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #27
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Has anyone tried this with a California Ale Yeast WLP001?
Cali Ale will produce a good result but I would mash 156-158 since otherwise it will finish too dry.

Quote:

Old 05-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #28
akardam
Recipes 

Thanks for quick reply Sacc! Another quickie: do you reckon munich malt is a good sub for vienna malt? unfortunately, my local dealer here in Stockholm doesnt distribute it..

and academically speaking, can you refer me to bibliography or literature explaining how mash temperature is related to type of yeast used in fermentation.. i quote what you mentioned 'If you use dry yeast, Nottingham or US-05 will work fine for this style, but if using the dry I recommend increasing the mash temp to 152*F.' i would love to find out the mechanics behind all this.. thanks!

Old 05-28-2010, 04:04 AM   #29
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akardam View Post
Thanks for quick reply Sacc! Another quickie: do you reckon munich malt is a good sub for vienna malt? unfortunately, my local dealer here in Stockholm doesnt distribute it..
I would use less munich if you are subbing. Maybe half of what you would use for vienna. Or you could lightly toast some of the malt for a few minutes in the oven at a moderate temperature to try to sub for vienna (not the same but it adds complexity of flavor).

Quote:
and academically speaking, can you refer me to bibliography or literature explaining how mash temperature is related to type of yeast used in fermentation.. i quote what you mentioned 'If you use dry yeast, Nottingham or US-05 will work fine for this style, but if using the dry I recommend increasing the mash temp to 152*F.' i would love to find out the mechanics behind all this.. thanks!
howtobrew.com has some info about mash temps. US-05 and nottingham are more attenuative than other yeasts (80%+ rather than the typical 75%) so you want more longer-chain dextrines left in the wort that the yeast won't ferment. Otherwise the beer will end up flat and lifeless.

Quote:

Old 05-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #30
akardam
Recipes 

Thanks for info! I am currently brewing this in the kitchen..

Quick Reply