Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Irish Red (1st place HBT comp)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #191
xaturnascends
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle Conditioning

Did anyone use priming sugar as well as pitching new yeast when bottling, or was the yeast sufficient to carbonate?

Home Brewed Goodness

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #192
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaturnascends View Post
Did anyone use priming sugar as well as pitching new yeast when bottling, or was the yeast sufficient to carbonate?
I have never had a problem with carbonation when bottling, just adding the appropriate amount of priming sugar. Unless you are killing or filtering your beer, you shouldn't need to add any yeast.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #193
xaturnascends
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I have never had a problem with carbonation when bottling, just adding the appropriate amount of priming sugar. Unless you are killing or filtering your beer, you shouldn't need to add any yeast.
I have never pitched new yeast at bottling, but this recipe calls for the yeast.

Quote:
When you condition with the primary yeast, the yeast that are left to carbonate the beer are the least flocculant cells (and there aren't many of them) meaning your beer will take awhile to carb and will be difficult to clear. When you pitch fresh yeast you have more flocculant cells and more of them, so the beer carbs quickly and clears quickly. Most commercial breweries that bottle condition beers add yeast at bottling time for this reason.
I'm wondering if I should also add priming sugar or if the new yeast is sufficient.

Home Brewed Goodness

Old 12-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #194
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My batch for this Fall has finally conditioned, and once again, "Saccharomyces'" recipe comes through. I've tried several Irish Ale recipes, and this, to me, is the winner by a significant margin.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #195
JPrather
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Just looking around for ideas for an irish/scottish red to brew soon-ish, something popped into my mind reading this thread:

Since this recipe seems to like being brewed with lager yeasts and/or cold, how about using WLP036 or Wyeast 1007 and fermenting this like an alt (e.g. 55-60 deg F primary, ~4 weeks @ <40f in secondary, etc)? Just an idea...

Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #196
nathan33
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have never lagered but am thinking about giving it a try. Would saglager s23 I believe be ok. And will one package be enough to do it. Only have one package of yeast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-10-2014, 02:54 AM   #197
nathan33
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Lol. Should have read more posts. Ok saflager is ok. But is it ok to just use one pakage?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #198
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 684 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 625

Um, I don't think anyone is actually brewing it with lager yeast, I think the recommendation was simply to "lager" it (i.e., store it at cold temperatures) for several weeks before drinking it. It's still brewed with an ale yeast.

Admittedly, it's been a while since I read this thread and brewed this beer, and I'm not about to go back through 20 pages of posts to see if anyone mentioned using a lager yeast.

That said, no, I don't expect one packet of lager yeast would ever be enough for a 5 gallon batch of any beer with an O.G. over 1.020 (no typo). Lagers require twice as much yeast as ales.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #199
JPrather
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Um, I don't think anyone is actually brewing it with lager yeast, I think the recommendation was simply to "lager" it (i.e., store it at cold temperatures) for several weeks before drinking it. It's still brewed with an ale yeast.

Admittedly, it's been a while since I read this thread and brewed this beer, and I'm not about to go back through 20 pages of posts to see if anyone mentioned using a lager yeast.
Well, reading the OP would've been enough .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces
If you can lager, even better, use a clean lager yeast (eg. WLP840, WLP833).
I don't recall if anybody has reported the results of using lager yeast with this recipe, though. I think brewing it in a hybrid style, either with say, Scottish Ale yeast (1728, etc), or like an Alt (1007), depending on how much attenuation you want, would be pretty neat with this style.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #200
nathan33
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a couple options but am looking for input on the yeast I should use. I could go with London esb. London ale 3, us05. or I can lager with saflager or Mexican lager. I would love to know for the ones that have brewed which yeast they preferred.

Quick Reply