Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Irish Red (1st place HBT comp)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #111
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
At least you caught it in time. Most folks learn of their problem when NORAD calls them to inform them they are tracking their lid as a new piece of space junk.
There was a lot of pressure in that thing. When I yanked out the airlock, I got a big WHOOSH! as the CO2 escaped. I use US Plastics buckets, that have the segmented rim and a real neoprene 'O' ring inside the rim. Those lids actually seal, and they're not that easy to remove. Makes me wonder what would have given way if the pressure kept on building....

My first bucket was one of the generic "Ale Pail" type, and it doesn't really have a gas-tight seal at all, and pops off pretty easily. On June 3, '08 (a day I won't forget) I had an imperial stout in the basement that was just entering into the main phase of fermentation. That night, we got 7 inches of rain in about 3 hours, totally flooded the basement, and incidentally raised the temperatures down there considerably. I had been working getting all the stuff out of the basement, and was resting when I heard a BAM from the basement. Sure enough, lid had blown off the fermenter, beautiful brown foam everywhere. I cleaned and re-sanitized, put it back on, and had exactly the same experience about an hour later. So I just put the lid back on and put a Star San soaked sponge over the hole. That worked until it settled down. I bulk aged about 4 months and bottled as usual....and the beer was great. Always called it the "flood stout."

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #112
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I've a batch on tap right now using 2-row. Let me know what you think about yours.

How's yours? We just tapped the keg using cheap US 2 row and the color is completely different then the original batch we did using the original recipe for marris otter (Plus making 5 gallons instead of 10). I wish I could blame it on the batch size difference but I don't think that's it.

The color is all wrong and the taste just isn't as refreshing. It's making me contemplate buying the expensive base grain instead of the $36/sack of 2 row I have been using! lol.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #113
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6328 Times on 5484 Posts
Likes Given: 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
How's yours? We just tapped the keg using cheap US 2 row and the color is completely different then the original batch we did using the original recipe for marris otter (Plus making 5 gallons instead of 10). I wish I could blame it on the batch size difference but I don't think that's it.

The color is all wrong and the taste just isn't as refreshing. It's making me contemplate buying the expensive base grain instead of the $36/sack of 2 row I have been using! lol.
I found it to be a completely different beer. Almost an under hopped American Amber. It lacked the pronounced malt forwardness and crisp dry finish so characteristic of Sacchromyces original recipe.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #114
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

On Saturday I'm going to brew up a 10 gallon batch to split with a buddy. We're going to use Mexican Lager yeast.

RE the base grains, I have noticed a big difference between using Maris Otter and 2-row in my other darker beers (particularly my imperial stout). Unless I'm brewing a batch for someone else, I rarely use 2-row anymore; my go-to base grain for lighter beers is Great Western pale ale malt. This recipe might work OK with the pale ale malt but I like the slight nutty flavor that comes through from the Maris Otter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #115
shelly_belly
Got My Mojo Workin'
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I love this beer and have made 4 5gal batches. The 4th batch I used WL833 German Bock Lager yeast. A nice smooth beer, however, the yeast seems to have accentuated the roasted barley far greater than the other malts. Next time I make a lager batch of this, I will reduce the roasted barley a little bit.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #116
Bugaboo

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've made this beer per the recipe and also without the roasted barley.
i liked the original recipe the best, but the recipe without the roasted barley was a bigger hit with my friends. Next time i make it I'll probably compromise between the two and cut the roast in half. I've used S-05, nottingham and british ale II yeast and prefer the wyeast british ale II, though all were good.

"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
-Deep Thought, Jack Handy

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 06-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #117
TacoBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm doing a 10 gallon batch with BIAB and just started the boil. I don't have any goldings, so I'm just using Fuggles for both additions. Hit preboil gravity spot on, and it smells wonderful!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #118
RedFredTractor
Recipes 

I brewed 10 gallons of this Monday. I split into 2 batches . I used s-05 for one and Nottingham for the other. Tuesday morning i woke up to the sound of vicious gurgling. I had to change the one quart blow off bottle with a five gallon bucket. Judging by the airspace in the carboy i figure i lost at least a half gallon. BTW it was the Notty batch. The S-05 was brisk but never out of control. I guess its time for me to get better/bigger fermenters. Btw thanks for the recipe. My basement smells great.

Last edited by RedFredTractor; 06-28-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #119
RedFredTractor
Recipes 

Drinking this tonight with friends. Only 2 weeks old and amazing. 6 days in primary 7 days in secondary 1day in tthe keg. Its clean and delicious. Thanks for the recipe S. I have never purchased a beer that tastes so good. Friends and family have all had Omg moments while staring at the glass. Amazingly Awesome.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #120
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Glad y'all are enjoying it.

... Yes I just said y'all. I've lived in Texas that long now.

The Mexican Lager yeast version totally kicks @$$.... it's definitely one of my favorite homebrews I've made so far out of 88 batches, and isn't going to last long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply