Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > Innis and Gunn ( or at least my take on it )

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
MattGuk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Well, i poured the last bottle of this last night and i had mixed emotions.
Its amazing how the last is always the best, so i was supping with a big smile, however i was sad that it was the last pint.
On the upside im brewing it again tomorrow night
Just stared drinking my hobgoblin clone so at least i have another tasty brew to keep me going.
Guess which is the real hobgoblin?

dsc_0858.jpg   dsc_0859.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
eagagnon
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default At last.......

The trials with this beer did not end--It took a long time to carbonate, which was another first for me. So about three weeks weeks ago I opened the bottles and dropped carbonation tablets in each bottle. I also had two 6 liter Tap A Draft jugs that got the tablets too. Yesterday I cracked open the big jugs and was very pleased with the over all results.

The appearance is a deep dark amber--I think that is because of the way ground the grains, (it was my first time and some of them got really pulverized). The head is tall but short lived. The flavors are really amazing--sweet, malty and hoppy upfront, bold oak midway and subtle hints of vanilla, rum at the end. It is smooth and clean in its finish. When I first tasted this the flavors were discreet, (meaning separate not blended). After 6 weeks of sitting there is a bit more incorporation of the flavors, however I am already planning "corrections" for the next batch.

Thanks for posting this recipe. Its been a fun adventure.

Cheers,

seahaggslament2013.jpg  

Old 11-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
MattGuk
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 57

This is great to hear, Im also very pleased with this beer.
I will be bottling the next batch next week.
slow carbonation I think is normal, don't forget that it's aged for a fair while, so there won't be a hell of a lot yeast and will take longer to carb.
mine to 4 weeks to fully carb and I'm expecting longer with the next batch as it has been in secondary for 5 weeks so far.

Cheers

Quick Reply