Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > Homebrewdad's Big Irish Red

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Default Homebrewdad's Big Irish Red

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP004 (Irish Ale)
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 29
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 16.4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 weeks
Tasting Notes: Malty, some grainy complexity, reserved esters.

I love Irish red ales, but I often feel like they are just a bit lacking. Understand, I don't want some monster 9% Frankenbrew, but to me, it would be perfect if you had an Irish red that was a bit more substantive.

This is my very first recipe that I call my own. That being said, I want to give full credit to Malticulous - this recipe is based off of his very popular Mojave Red ale recipe (a west coast red). Also, let me give props to Revvy, who gave me advice on formulation.

The final result is everything good about an Irish red.... just a bit bigger than normal. Malty with a dry enough finish to make you want another sip. Nice grainy complexity with some subtle esters from the yeast. Just delicious beer that I can honestly say is the tastiest I have ever brewed.

As an aside, it brews a beautiful deep red color.

ABV: 6.7%

Grain (assumes 74% efficiency)
10 lb 8 oz Maris Otter
8 oz Crystal 40
8 oz Crystal 60
8 oz Crystal 80
3 oz Melanoiden
2 oz Carafa II
1 oz Roasted Barley

Mash @ 152 degrees F.

Hops
1 oz Challenger (7.2% alpha) @ 60 minutes
.5 oz Northdown (5.7% alpha) @ 20 minutes
.5 oz Fuggles (5% alpha) @ 10 minutes

I personally add a tablespoon of Irish moss @ 15 minutes for clarity.

Ferment @ 65 degrees F.

When I brew this, I let it primary for at least 3-4 weeks, then secondary for a week or two (yeah, I'm one of those guys). Obviously, the secondary step is not necessary.

This isn't a monster beer that needs extended aging, but I find that it does improve with some age.

Carb to 2.3 volumes of CO2.

If you brew this one, please let me know how it turns out for you. Sláinte!

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

This sounds great, the best of both worlds, the maltiness of an Irish, with the crispness of a red. Cool!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-13-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Wow, that sounds good. Crap, now I have to add another recipe to the "to brew" list. Well, SWMBO loves reds, so maybe this should go up the list.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
homebrewdad
Recipes 

If you do brew it, I hope that you enjoy it. If you have any feedback, please let me know!

Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Default well...

Gearing up to brew this again on Father's Day. Also starting to watch the mail; a guy from the reddit homebrewing sub brewed up ten gallons of this six or so weeks ago, and is sending me a sixer.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Malty_Dog
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Any pics of this homebrewdad? Just curious about color. My JZ's Irish Red has turned out very well, but my efficiency was higher than expected and OG was around 1.060 (FG 1.012), so slightly bigger than planned. Also darker. I did 3 gal AG. Seeems to hit all the hurdles in the style guidelines as far as aroma, taste, dryness etc though. Does yours get better with age? Wait, nm, I see you said that in your OP. JZ also uses more roasted barley I think.

So many recipes...

Fermenter:
Bottles: ESB, Bee Cave Bavarian Hef, Nick Danger Porter, Yoop's Hoppy Amber, Conan/Mosaic Session IPA

Old 06-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty_Dog View Post
Any pics of this homebrewdad? Just curious about color. My JZ's Irish Red has turned out very well, but my efficiency was higher than expected and OG was around 1.060 (FG 1.012), so slightly bigger than planned. Also darker. I did 3 gal AG. Seeems to hit all the hurdles in the style guidelines as far as aroma, taste, dryness etc though. Does yours get better with age? Wait, nm, I see you said that in your OP. JZ also uses more roasted barley I think.
This batch is still in primary, so the pics there won't be too helpful for color. I plan to do a full blog post about this brew, however, in case you care to read/look at pics.

I will gladly post a color pic once this batch is ready, but be warned - I'm very much of a "patience" guy, so I doubt that I bottle for at least another month, and I probably won't crack one sooner than a month in bottles. I'm not sure if I took a pic the first time I brewed it.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 06-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
joyceman
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When I switched over to AG the my first try was NB's Irish Red kit. It tasted so bad that I would have gone back to extract if my second batch hadnt been outstanding. Ive been avoiding reds since, but I want to take a run at this one.

Any thoughts on WLP002 or WLP013. Maybe WLP 029 fermeted cold?

Old 06-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyceman View Post
When I switched over to AG the my first try was NB's Irish Red kit. It tasted so bad that I would have gone back to extract if my second batch hadnt been outstanding. Ive been avoiding reds since, but I want to take a run at this one.

Any thoughts on WLP002 or WLP013. Maybe WLP029 fermeted cold?
From what I read, I think that WLP002 would be a better match than WLP013. WLP029 is a kolsch yeast, which seems like a mismatch to me... but what do I know?

I will say, though, that the WLP004 (Irish ale yeast) that the recipe calls for is really nice with this beer. I think that the flavor balance is excellent, but if you do go a different direction, I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
joyceman
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

029 ferments out very crisp and clean at low temps. Ive started using it in my IPA's and it really emphasizes the hops (at least to my taste).

Probably go with 002. Id pick up the 004 but Im a yeast hoarder and need to get rid of some old jars... or start slanting. Ill put this on the agenda for late July and let you know how it tastes.

Quick Reply