Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > All-Grain - Four Peaks Kiltlifter Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #21
blackollie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey guys-
This is my first all grain brew and I'm a little concerned things aren't going too well. I'm a week into it and this is fermenting very slow compared to other beers I have done. Is this Normal or should I do something to speed it up? Fermenting in a dark room at about 66 degrees (coolest spot in the house and the coolest I can get the house before my wife changes the temp). Also in 3 weeks when it's go time for bottling how long are you waiting before you throw a few in the fridge and crack one open?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #22
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

blackollie: Pop open the fermenter and take a peak inside. Is there still a krausen on top? If not, take a gravity reading, and see how close to finished the beer is.

You probably have nothing to worry about. In terms of bottling time, it all depends on the temperature your bottles condition at. My house stays warm in Arizona (75-82*), so my bottle conditioned beers are carbonated after a week to two weeks. That might be 2-3 weeks at your house's temp.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #23
blackollie
Recipes 

Was out of town for a bit but took a reading as soon as I got home. Right now I'm estimating about 1.005 (about even between 1 and 1.010). Took a sip of it afterwards and it tastes identical to Amstel light... Went ahead and transferred it for a secondary fermentation and it looks lighter in color than I was expecting and that yeast is still happily making gas. I'm starting to think my temps were a little low making the wort. Should have about 2 more weeks if this sounds right. What do you think? 1.005 seems off but im new at this.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #24
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 7

scottland - I have been mulling over brewing both Four Peaks and Pike Brewing Kilt Lifter brews for several months now. Getting to the point where they fit into my brew schedule pipeline. I was wondering if you had considered using WLP028, Edinburgh Scottish Ale yeast, for this brew? I am a big fan of WLP007 for pale ales, but for this Scottish style ale I was leaning towards brewing with WLP028. Perhaps that is the subtle yeast character you were looking for? Interested in your thoughts on this...

Tony

Old 07-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #25
scottland
Recipes 

Four peaks Kilt Lifter isn't the best 'true scottish ale'

A. It's a little smokey
B. It has some esters

If you want a beer that tastes like FP's Kilt Lifter, use 007, or something else that's dry and english. If you want a good scottish export, use WLP028 or WLP001. It'll be muchhhhhhh closer to the BJCP style.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #26
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks! What I think I will do is is follow your advice on FP and use the 007 and then use the 028 on the PB version of Kilt Lifter. Should be two very tasty brews! Thanks for the clone recipe. It isn't far off from what I concocted in brewsmith for the PB version sans the 300L RB, adding some Munich, and adding Magnum to compliment the EKG. I am a little antsy about the peated malt as well. I have used this in a smoked porter and had it come out fabulous with a trace amount, and overpowering with around 2 ounces...it is definitely something you need to be mindful of. I think I will use 0.5 oz or less.

Cheers!

Old 10-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #27
BAJones
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Scottland your blog is great, love all the info on IPA's, how do you get them so clear after so much dry hopping! (I mean I read how you do it, but it's still impressive) I live in Tempe and I'd bet if you asked nice enough FP would give you a slurry to try and do a spot on clone. Are you an ASH member?

Also were you able to find Mosaic anywhere? I've been scouring the net.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #28
scottland
Recipes 

No Mosaic yet, but there really aren't many 2012 hops out yet. As for the clarity: Gelatin and cold conditioning, they work wonders. I'm not an ASH member, but ya, I've heard of a few people getting a slug of Four Peaks yeast.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #29
StainlessBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 106

x2 on the blog. Hopefully we'll see some more porters and stouts now that it's cooling down?

Old 10-31-2012, 04:27 AM   #30
scottland
Recipes 

I've got an American stout on deck. Elder clone is next, a blonde ale, then a big hoppy stout =) But ya, once I get done cloning these IPAs, I'll get back to more malty beers.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply