Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > Partial - "Drunken Lullaby" Irish Red

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #71
HanorGoogan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Steep Temperature

Thanks for the recipe. Going to try this out this week. Two questions: At what temp did you ferment at? Also, what temp are you steeping at? and did you sparge/rinse with a higher temp? Ok... so that's three questions.

Cheers

Edit. Mobile jacked me and didn't see the whole thread. Have all the temps now. What is your original volume of water for the grain steep? 1 1/2-2 gals?

Thanks again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #72
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanorGoogan View Post
Thanks for the recipe. Going to try this out this week. Two questions: At what temp did you ferment at? Also, what temp are you steeping at? and did you sparge/rinse with a higher temp? Ok... so that's three questions.

Cheers

Edit. Mobile jacked me and didn't see the whole thread. Have all the temps now. What is your original volume of water for the grain steep? 1 1/2-2 gals?

Thanks again.

Hey HanorGoogan,

I fermented around 66-68 F - steeped grains at about 155-156 F for around 35 to 40 min. Sparged with 170 F water.

May not be exact, but that's damned close.

Also I do around 2.5-2.75 gal each time for steeping.
On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club
HanorGoogan Likes This 
Old 07-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #73
HanorGoogan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info! Brewed this Monday. Fermenting strong at 62 F I'll get a pic up once it's done. Just have to enjoy this Submissive Brown Ale while I wait.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:54 AM   #74
robertmeyer
Recipes 

Default I started my first Partial mash with your recipe!

Greetings Dangerbrew, I am new to the brewing game, but I have started my first partial mash with your recipe because it sounds delicious. I wanted to say thank you for posting the recipe.

Update: I just finished bottling the beer, and it taste great! It was my first PM, and I cannot wait to make more.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #75
dangerbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmeyer View Post
Greetings Dangerbrew, I am new to the brewing game, but I have started my first partial mash with your recipe because it sounds delicious. I wanted to say thank you for posting the recipe.

Update: I just finished bottling the beer, and it taste great! It was my first PM, and I cannot wait to make more.
Hey Robert,

Glad you liked it! Always good to hear someone out there's enjoying a Drunken Lullaby.
On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

Old 01-10-2014, 12:00 AM   #76
Palazar
Recipes 

Hey all, not sure if I'll get any replies on this old thread but I'll give it a shot anyways.

dangerbrew, I have a question concerning this beer do you think some temp swings will seriously damage the beer during fermentation? I try to control my temps and keep them stable but I don't really have any way to control them besides immersing my primary in water with some ice added. My house usually stands around 80*F so I can probably expect my water temp to be around 65-75 (maybe lower if I use ice though I'd be willing to bet money that it'll sit in the 70's range). Will this be too high for the US-04? If so, do you know of any other yeast that will preform ok for me?

apologies if my wording is unclear - I'm still a noob and am hoping to make this beer my second brew
--------
Edit: words and stuff

Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #77
dangerbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazar View Post
Hey all, not sure if I'll get any replies on this old thread but I'll give it a shot anyways.

dangerbrew, I have a question concerning this beer do you think some temp swings will seriously damage the beer during fermentation? I try to control my temps and keep them stable but I don't really have any way to control them besides immersing my primary in water with some ice added. My house usually stands around 80*F so I can probably expect my water temp to be around 65-75 (maybe lower if I use ice though I'd be willing to bet money that it'll sit in the 70's range). Will this be too high for the US-04? If so, do you know of any other yeast that will preform ok for me?

apologies if my wording is unclear - I'm still a noob and am hoping to make this beer my second brew
--------
Edit: words and stuff
Hey Palazar,

With 04, temp swings will definitely hurt it - it'll get pretty estery in that range. I'd try using US-05 instead and keeping it lower than 70-72 if at all possible. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #78
Palazar
Recipes 

Ok thanks! Very much apprecitated

Also, what kind of crystal malt did you use? The Site that I buy my supplies from has several different crystal malts listed. From the descriptions, it seems like you'd be using 60L. Is this right?

Old 01-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #79
dangerbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazar View Post
Ok thanks! Very much apprecitated

Also, what kind of crystal malt did you use? The Site that I buy my supplies from has several different crystal malts listed. From the descriptions, it seems like you'd be using 60L. Is this right?
Yes, 60 Lovibond Crystal/Caramel Malt.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #80
Palazar
Recipes 

Ok thanks again. I think I got it all down now.

Last edited by Palazar; 01-10-2014 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Quick Reply