Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > Partial - "Drunken Lullaby" Irish Red

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #61
tonyscha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifnotuthenwho View Post
Thanks for letting me know Tony. Did you brew today?

My beer has been in the primary for 2.5 hours and I already have burps in the airlock. That Safale yeast is really active.
I brewed on Friday, finished up around midnight, by Saturday afternoon it was going crazy, it was bubbling out of my airlock, I checked it sunday, and it calmed down.

One question, when it comes to bottling, how much priming sugar to use? Do you use cane or corn sugar?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #62
Sjorge3442
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyscha View Post

I brewed on Friday, finished up around midnight, by Saturday afternoon it was going crazy, it was bubbling out of my airlock, I checked it sunday, and it calmed down.

One question, when it comes to bottling, how much priming sugar to use? Do you use cane or corn sugar?

Thanks
Depends. You can use both to Carb. You can use any fermentable sugar. Each will provide a different taste and mouth feel. Look into different priming sugars.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:41 AM   #63
tonyscha
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Racked this from Primary to secondary, drew a little, in a glass. All I can say is amazing!!! The wife even thought it was good (considering it was warm and flat).

Posted a few pictures - http://akschaefer.com/2013/01/23/new-beer-kit-part-2/

When I get around to bottling, I am assuming about 5oz of sugar?

Edit:

OG around 1.054
CG around 1.012 (CG = current gravity? lol, not final yet!)

Old 02-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #64
Bad_Horse_Brews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

So this was my choice for a first brew, however I of course decided I wanted to have my own opinion without knowing what I was doing at all.... Long story short, I doubled my dark grains. It's now a hefty porter color, just racked it to the secondary last Sunday and it's still damn tasty with the random change. I am going to be bottling in the next couple days, guess we'll see what the final product is like in a couple weeks....

Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #65
bert2190
Recipes 

I am about to order the ingredients to make this recipe. I was just wondering if the amount of extract used in this recipe is dry or liquid. Thanks

Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #66
tonyscha
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert2190 View Post
I am about to order the ingredients to make this recipe. I was just wondering if the amount of extract used in this recipe is dry or liquid. Thanks
I brewed the 2010 recipe of this, still carbonating up, but the taste is awesome. Anyway I used LME for this recipe, but at the end of the day, its really up to what you prefer.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #67
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
I brewed the 2010 recipe of this, still carbonating up, but the taste is awesome. Anyway I used LME for this recipe, but at the end of the day, its really up to what you prefer.
This is true. I've found DME to be more "full-bodied" but usually use LME because it's easier for me to store.

In any case if you need help with conversion to DME, you can convert liquid extract to dry by multiplying by 0.89, or dry to liquid by multiplying by 1.1.

Enjoy!

P.S. Just put my version on tap last week. Finished up at 1.016 and tastes great. For an added bonus, I aged it for about a month and a half on Jameson-soaked toasted cherrywood cubes. It tastes normal but with just a subtle hint of wood and whiskey. I highly recommend trying this if you have the ability - or even just on oak chips or cubes if those are easier to find - adds a cool new dimension to the Lullaby. Slainte ma hath, my friends! Have a great St. Paddy's!!!
On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Old 03-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #68
bert2190
Recipes 

For whatever reason when I ordered the grains to brew this I forgot to order vienna malt. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and brew without it or wait until I can pick some up?

Thanks

Old 03-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #69
tonyscha
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Mine took longer then normal to carbonate up, like 6 weeks, but now its carbonated, its an awesome brew. Thanks for the recipe dangerbrew
Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #70
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert2190 View Post
For whatever reason when I ordered the grains to brew this I forgot to order vienna malt. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and brew without it or wait until I can pick some up?

Thanks
I would wait to get some vienna, but whatevs... I'm sure it will still be good. Hope your St. Paddy's was a good one this year!!
On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Quick Reply