Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > Partial - "Drunken Lullaby" Irish Red

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #51
dpeanut7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Danger,

I'm so sorry for being super annoying, but I have another question/request. So I looked at the extract bill, and without any specialty grains, I felt like i was really missing on your recipe. My thoughts were, Eff it, if I'm going to make a Drunken Lullaby, I'm going to do it as intended (everyone seems to love it). So I just got back from the LHBS, and have all of the ingredients (your 2nd version). Herein lies my problem, I asked him what the differences are and for possible instructions on partial mash, and he basically said its different for every recipe. Any chance you are any of the faithful Drunken lullaby followers can help me with the actual brew instructions? Basically, Mash temp, mash time, sparge temp, maybe like how much water used per step? I guess whatever you think I would need that is different from Extract brewing.

Huge help if you do, otherwise, thanks for the previous extract recipe and your time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #52
TroutSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just ordered the ingredients for this today. The LHBS doesn't have a great variety. It'll be my first beer not using a kit. Still using LME and partial mash. Also ordered Wyeast 1099 for it. I'll check back in a couple weeks!

Oh, I guess this is my first post! I've been lurking for years but just downloaded the iPhone app!

Old 10-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #53
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeanut7 View Post
Danger,

I'm so sorry for being super annoying, but I have another question/request. So I looked at the extract bill, and without any specialty grains, I felt like i was really missing on your recipe. My thoughts were, Eff it, if I'm going to make a Drunken Lullaby, I'm going to do it as intended (everyone seems to love it). So I just got back from the LHBS, and have all of the ingredients (your 2nd version). Herein lies my problem, I asked him what the differences are and for possible instructions on partial mash, and he basically said its different for every recipe. Any chance you are any of the faithful Drunken lullaby followers can help me with the actual brew instructions? Basically, Mash temp, mash time, sparge temp, maybe like how much water used per step? I guess whatever you think I would need that is different from Extract brewing.

Huge help if you do, otherwise, thanks for the previous extract recipe and your time.
Hey man,

good on ya for brewing the true recipe! as far as a partial mash schedule goes, if you're able to do a step mash by having the grains in a cheesecloth bag or whatnot, I would say to do a protein rest at around 125 F for 30 min and then raise it up to 155 F for about 10 minutes and then up again to 160 and leave that sit for about 15 minutes and that should do the trick for the actual mash. (make sure you lift the bag up while heating up the water so it doesn't scorch) For sparging, at least 170 F and I wouldn't do more than a gallon and a quarter i'd say - this is just off the top of my head but should work out fine.
On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Old 12-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #54
wobblymadman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

As promised, a photo (I hope!) of my Kiwi brewed version of Drunken Lullaby. Done as a partial mash, I'm very happy with the result. The colour is stunning. The smooth flavour is spot on, reminiscent of Murphy's Irish red, and it has a nice smooth mouth feel.

For all you Northern Hemisphere brewers who are considering what hearty dark winter warmers to brew next, this pic was taken on a gorgeous 31 degree (88F) afternoon just outside Christchurch, New Zealand. 'Tis the season for chilled refreshing summer ales here in the South!

Many thanks to DangerBrew for the excellent recipe.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #55
tonyscha
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

With Saint Patrick's days right around the corner, I have been thinking about making this as my first 5 gallon batch.

I currently have a Mr. Beer kit, I think everyone here calls it a LBK, and made two kits in there, and 3 batches from ingredients from my LHBS. The first batch was drinkable (suppose to be wheat beer, but was a dark cloudy Belgium ale), second batch is in bottles right now, nice amber ale but a little bitter, and my third batch is another wheat beer that's fermenting right now, but looks awesome from samples I took.

I am planning on buying a 5 gallon starter kit this weekend and make this beer. Which recipe do you like better the 2009 or 2010 version? I am leaning toward the 2010 version due to the lower IBUs, I dont like bitter beer, and I want to share this with my neighbors who drink light beers.

Could I cut the IBUs down a little more by only adding .75oz of fuggles, or will that mess with the flavor to much?

Old 01-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #56
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyscha View Post
With Saint Patrick's days right around the corner, I have been thinking about making this as my first 5 gallon batch.

I currently have a Mr. Beer kit, I think everyone here calls it a LBK, and made two kits in there, and 3 batches from ingredients from my LHBS. The first batch was drinkable (suppose to be wheat beer, but was a dark cloudy Belgium ale), second batch is in bottles right now, nice amber ale but a little bitter, and my third batch is another wheat beer that's fermenting right now, but looks awesome from samples I took.

I am planning on buying a 5 gallon starter kit this weekend and make this beer. Which recipe do you like better the 2009 or 2010 version? I am leaning toward the 2010 version due to the lower IBUs, I dont like bitter beer, and I want to share this with my neighbors who drink light beers.

Could I cut the IBUs down a little more by only adding .75oz of fuggles, or will that mess with the flavor to much?
Actually, let me hit you up and all the rest of group with the most up-to-date Drunken Lullaby Recipe that I'm going to be brewing on Monday for this year's St. Paddys:

"Drunken Lullaby" Irish Red - Irish Red Ale - St. Paddy's 2013 Edition
================================================== =======
Batch Size: 5.250 gal
Boil Size: 6.200 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.064
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.3%
Bitterness: 26.0 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 14 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Liquid Extract Extract 6.000 lb Yes No 78% 8 L
Barley, Flaked Grain 4.000 oz Yes No 70% 2 L
Roasted Barley Grain 1.600 oz Yes No 55% 300 L
Carafoam Grain 12.000 oz Yes No 72% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 74% 60 L
Wheat, Torrified Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 79% 2 L
Brown Sugar, Dark Sugar 8.000 oz No Yes 100% 50 L
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 79% 2 L
Munich Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 80% 9 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Kent Goldings 5.8% 1.000 oz Boil 22.000 min Pellet 11.2
Fuggles 4.8% 1.000 oz Boil 1.167 hr Pellet 14.8

Misc
Name Type Use Amount Time
Irish Moss Fining Boil 0.000 tsp 0.000 s

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

As far as your question goes, yeah you can cut down on the bittering hops if you want but I wouldn't go too far - it's pretty well balanced as it is considering and not very hoppy. I think you'll like the results if you follow the recipe, but you can always mess around with the recipe in a brewing software like beersmith or promash and adjust as needed. Have a great St. Paddy's everyone!!
On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #57
tonyscha
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerbrew View Post
As far as your question goes, yeah you can cut down on the bittering hops if you want but I wouldn't go too far - it's pretty well balanced as it is considering and not very hoppy. I think you'll like the results if you follow the recipe, but you can always mess around with the recipe in a brewing software like beersmith or promash and adjust as needed. Have a great St. Paddy's everyone!!
Thanks for the update, I actually brewed before you replied, I did go ahead and only used .75 of the fuggles. I cant wait to try this, as its my first 5 gallon batch. I will post back once I get it bottles and had a chance to consume.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #58
ifnotuthenwho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default First batch of Drunken Lullaby brewed today

Just finished brewing a batch of Drunken Lullaby. It's transferred to the primary and I'm ready to see fermentation start.

My OG was a little low, 1.052 at 77 degrees, but I only have a 5 gallon brew kettle and I had to add water to the primary to get it to 5.25 gallons. I'm gonna have to invest in a larger brew kettle.

The color looked absolutely perfect for an Irish Red. I'm looking forward to bottling it in a couple weeks and drinking it around the 1st of March.

Thanks for posting the recipe Dangerbrew.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #59
tonyscha
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifnotuthenwho View Post
Just finished brewing a batch of Drunken Lullaby. It's transferred to the primary and I'm ready to see fermentation start.

My OG was a little low, 1.052 at 77 degrees, but I only have a 5 gallon brew kettle and I had to add water to the primary to get it to 5.25 gallons. I'm gonna have to invest in a larger brew kettle.

The color looked absolutely perfect for an Irish Red. I'm looking forward to bottling it in a couple weeks and drinking it around the 1st of March.

Thanks for posting the recipe Dangerbrew.
ifnotuthenwho, mine was the same OG @~78f

Cant wait for March to roll around!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #60
ifnotuthenwho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyscha

ifnotuthenwho, mine was the same OG @~78f

Cant wait for March to roll around!
Thanks for letting me know Tony. Did you brew today?

My beer has been in the primary for 2.5 hours and I already have burps in the airlock. That Safale yeast is really active.

Quick Reply