Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > Partial - "Drunken Lullaby" Irish Red

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #21
ao125
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Seeing something called "Drunken Lullaby", I expected there to be chamomile in it.

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #22
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao125 View Post
Seeing something called "Drunken Lullaby", I expected there to be chamomile in it.
Sorry, no chamomile. Just traditional Irish whup-a$$ in a glass.
On Tap/Kegged:"Jack The Lad" British Mild, "Blackbeer'd" Beard Beer-yeast Black IPA, "Stone Tower" Maple Breakfast Coffee Stout, "Captain Meowmer's" Maris-Mosaic SMaSH, "Rye Don't We Try And Smoke It?" Smoked Rye Stout, "Pour Decisions" Pale Ale (w/ Conan), "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Old 05-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #23
joeirvine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My ingredients for this is probably going to arrive today. I see you have nottingham for the yeast...... I kind of forgot to order yeast.... But I have plenty of Munton's Gold and I think the Coopers ale... Either of those work fine?

Old 05-25-2011, 02:53 AM   #24
dangerbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeirvine View Post
My ingredients for this is probably going to arrive today. I see you have nottingham for the yeast...... I kind of forgot to order yeast.... But I have plenty of Munton's Gold and I think the Coopers ale... Either of those work fine?
Sure will. Just make sure you rouse the yeast a few times during fermentation. I'm fairly sure those strains are pretty flocculent.
On Tap/Kegged:"Jack The Lad" British Mild, "Blackbeer'd" Beard Beer-yeast Black IPA, "Stone Tower" Maple Breakfast Coffee Stout, "Captain Meowmer's" Maris-Mosaic SMaSH, "Rye Don't We Try And Smoke It?" Smoked Rye Stout, "Pour Decisions" Pale Ale (w/ Conan), "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #25
joeirvine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I went ahead and made it last night. One question I had though...... The 1lb of brown sugar at 5 minutes left in the boil..... It didn't quite disolve now I have a cake of brown sugar on the bottom of my fermenter, was that the idea or am I going to have to be reaaaaaaal carefully when racking to bottles to keep that out. Oh and the color is amazing, thanks for the recipe. I already have labels printed out reading "Irish Republican Ale" ..... My buddies got a kick out of that.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #26
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You're going to want to be careful to keep that out of the bottles. When you added the sugar did you stir the wort at all? What was your OG when you pitched the yeast? The idea is to have the sugar dissolve into solution with the wort so the yeast have something to nibble on. I'm not exactly sure how that'll affect fermentation, but I would suspect your OG would be low because of that, and the attenuation might be off as well. I'll be interested to hear how it ends up turning out.

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Old 05-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #27
joeirvine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I stirred well, even let it boil for closer to 7 minutes than 5. I don't remember the OG, it's written down at home. It was low I remember that. I had to let sit for a few hours with the air lock on before I pitched to let it cool, I did notice it looked like the sugar was resuspending before I pitched. I'm hoping worst case scenario it just doesnt have as high of alcohol. The 6.2 would be awesome but as long as it comes out tasting good I'll be happy. Hopefully my little slip up helps some others though. And I'll probably be brewing this again reguardless, so I'm going to add the sugar closer to 15 minutes left in the boil.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #28
joeirvine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What would your opinion be on letting it ferment for a few days as is..... Racking to secondary and boiling up half the amount (1/2lb) of brown sugar.... cooling it... adding to secondary and possibly repitching if it the yeast doesn't start to do it's thing? I'll probably post this out in beginners forums as well to get some more traffic to it.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #29
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well how low is "low" for the OG? And how much of the sugar would you say is not in solution? If I were you, I wouldn't mess with racking early and adding more sugar. I would let the yeast do their jobs, and let the sugar settle to the bottom. You'll end up with a lower ABV like you mentioned, but it gives you the opportunity to brew it again and compare the 2 results.

The brown sugar isn't contributing to flavor profile, it's main purpose in life is to up the fermentable sugars boosting the ABV. You'll still have beer at the end of this, and also a good learning experience.

One last option would be to send the full fermenter to me so I can see how much sugar didn't get dissolved and I'll drink, er, fix it.

My $0.02 is to let it ferment out, bottle it, drink it, brew it again. RDWHAHB.

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Old 05-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #30
dangerbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowfro View Post
My $0.02 is to let it ferment out, bottle it, drink it, brew it again. RDWHAHB.
I concur. And next time, absolutely make sure the sugar dissolves into the wort. A sugar cake on the bottom of your fermenter can't be preferable.

Quick Reply