Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Scottish and Irish Ale > Partial - "Drunken Lullaby" Irish Red

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
Slowfro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome, hopefully the color turns out for me. It's fermenting away, good airlock activity so far plugging away at 61° in the basement. I used S-04 so should be nice and cleaned up by the time I can bottle it. Did you really only leave it in primary for 7 days before bottling?

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #12
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowfro View Post
Awesome, hopefully the color turns out for me. It's fermenting away, good airlock activity so far plugging away at 61° in the basement. I used S-04 so should be nice and cleaned up by the time I can bottle it. Did you really only leave it in primary for 7 days before bottling?
Yeah, but it all depends on how fast you get to your gravity. Mine finished up in about 5 days and I let it sit for 2 or 3 more as a diacetyl rest.
On Tap/Kegged:"Jack The Lad" British Mild, "Blackbeer'd" Beard Beer-yeast Black IPA, "Stone Tower" Maple Breakfast Coffee Stout, "Captain Meowmer's" Maris-Mosaic SMaSH, "Rye Don't We Try And Smoke It?" Smoked Rye Stout, "Pour Decisions" Pale Ale (w/ Conan), "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Old 02-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey danger, finally bottled this last night, smelled REALLY good. Tasted a small sample and was pleased. Seemed very similar to a Scottish Ale a local micro makes near me. Can't wait to have it carb up and condition a bit.

My OG was 1.060 and came down to 1.014 so it's right at 6% which should treat me well.

How'd that stout do in the competition that you mentioned a couple weeks ago?

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Old 02-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
dangerbrew
Recipes 

Hey man.

Sounds like you're off to a good brew. Hope it tastes awesome for you. Wish I had time to make some this year, but my brew schedule's all booked up.

As for the stout, It got 4th place! Not bad at all. 35.5/50 on the bjcp scale. I was pleased and had some good stuff to go on for my next brew.

On Tap/Kegged:"Jack The Lad" British Mild, "Blackbeer'd" Beard Beer-yeast Black IPA, "Stone Tower" Maple Breakfast Coffee Stout, "Captain Meowmer's" Maris-Mosaic SMaSH, "Rye Don't We Try And Smoke It?" Smoked Rye Stout, "Pour Decisions" Pale Ale (w/ Conan), "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 AM   #15
Literhoser
Recipes 

Here's my version of this one! The picture really doesn't do it justice, very deep red in color, excellent flavor, almost all gone!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #16
hophead71
Recipes 

this is probably a dumb question, but did you steep the grains at 150 degrees for the 50 mins? this recipe looks great. I have been looking for a good irish red recipe, and I am into the partial mash now. thanks for the post. And.... LETS GOOOOOO MOUNTAINEERS!

Old 05-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #17
dangerbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hophead71 View Post
this is probably a dumb question, but did you steep the grains at 150 degrees for the 50 mins? this recipe looks great. I have been looking for a good irish red recipe, and I am into the partial mash now. thanks for the post. And.... LETS GOOOOOO MOUNTAINEERS!
yes, i did. although now that I've got a better heat source i've been doing some step mashes to make things a little more precise rather than just starting it at saccharification temps and letting it slide a bit. if you have the option i'd set up a protein rest at around 125-130 F for about 30 min and then 2 more rests - 1 for 10 min at 150 F and another for 15 min at 155-158 F. hope the beer turns out well for you, man. i'm pissed i couldn't make mine this year due to a St. Paddy's day trip to NYC.

and btw thanks for the rally cry! i haven't been able to make it to a mounties game in years, but i watch every single one on TV that i can manage.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #18
hophead71
Recipes 

Dangerbrew,

thanks, man. I will step mash it. sorry you didnt get to make it this year. I plan on it next year. maybe a guiness clone to go with it.

And your welcome for the rally cry. I graduated in '97 and went to my first game since then 2 years ago. I watch them on the tv too, but dont make it back up there much.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
joeirvine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it lol. I just ordered all the stuff for this recipe and it is going to be my first partial. I've steeped grains before but that is about it. So the vienna malt is the base malt..... so is that the only one I mash? Then sparge the rest? Or and I think I know the answer and almost feel stupid asking, do I put it all in a bag and mash all the grains?

Old 05-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #20
dangerbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeirvine View Post
Might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it lol. I just ordered all the stuff for this recipe and it is going to be my first partial. I've steeped grains before but that is about it. So the vienna malt is the base malt..... so is that the only one I mash? Then sparge the rest? Or and I think I know the answer and almost feel stupid asking, do I put it all in a bag and mash all the grains?
The vienna is the base malt, but you will also want to mash all the other grains with the base grain since it contains certain enzymes necessary to convert the starches in the other, specialty grains that wouldn't be converted otherwise. You would sparge all of the grains together in one bag.

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Only stupid governments. Cheers.

Quick Reply