Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Yeoman Special Bitter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #21
stevebuscemi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey I brewed this one up about two weeks ago with Hex's ten gallon recipe and am anxiously awaiting the finished product. Though I did make a few changes because I had some American hops and used WLP023 'burton' yeast.

HOPS I too don't have a mill but what I did was buy a 50 lb bag of grain and actually used a blender to crush all the grain. I started with a rolling pin but it is so tedious that I had to find another method. People talk about blending being bad cause you will crush the hull and get astringency from it but since this was my first time doing so I can't comment yet. But many people have said that it is the only way they crush their grain and have had no ill effects, also my efficiency went all the way to 79%. Lastly I 'burtonized' my water little in the mash and little in the boil not sure what it will do to the taste since it was my first time doing that as well. Will let you know when done fermenting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #22
cwhouston
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I've just brewed this this weekend, using WY1469 - expecting big things! It's really helpful to have access to a tried and test recipe, so thanks Bierhaus, I'll let you know how it turns out for me.

NickG

Old 07-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #23
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhouston View Post
I've just brewed this this weekend, using WY1469 - expecting big things! It's really helpful to have access to a tried and test recipe, so thanks Bierhaus, I'll let you know how it turns out for me.
Let me know it turns out for you! I've never tried this recipe with 1469, although I bet it'll be lovely.

Also, the last time I brewed this, I used the wlp006 Bedford Bitter yeast (available now until September) and it turned out fantastic. Really amazing yeast for bitters.

http://perfectpint.blogspot.com/2012/01/brew-day-session-bitter.html

Old 07-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #24
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Looks like a good recipe. Going to brew a 24 gal batch of this on Friday. I'm just going to step the gravity up a little to be about a 1.048 and will adjust the hops acoordingly. Shooting for about a 4.5 alc, will mash around 155 to leave a little more unfermentables. Would like to see a finish around 1.014.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #25
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Bierhaus,

Thanks for sharing a good recipe. I'll be brewing this again probably as a regular beer. My maltmill was out of adjustment and my crush wasn't what it should've been. Ended up with 1.040 gravity as your recipe called for but I was shooting for 1.048. Good easy drinking session Ale, I prefer the lower alc beers as I'm getting older. I can drink for a session and don't get as stupid as I used to

Old 09-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #26
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I don't own a mill, and my LHBS crush is quite consistent. So, would anyone recommend any of the following?

1. Buy all but the .5 lb crushed, then toast the non crushed malt at home and then (brace yourselves) crush the toasted malt in my magic bullet (I've read how to do this)
2. Or go with the victory malt subsitute

I'm really not afraid of crushing the malt in the magic bullet given that its only 8 ounces of malt, and even if it gets ground up, my batch sparge hose braid rig can handle it. Thoughts? I'm obsessed with bitters as of late, and this seems like a great one.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #27
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Victory or biscuit or even amber malt are fine substitutes for the toasted malt, or you can just go without it if you are using a good quality basemalt.

Just to reiterate, if toasting the malt, let it air out for a few days before brewing with it.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #28
cwhouston
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Bierhaus - this bitter with the 1469 rocks. I'm very pleased indeed except that I only have two bottles left, that is. Thanks again for sharing the recipe. I'm going to do a split batch soon - 1882 into one half and not sure about the other, I have s04, 1318, 1028, 1275 and 1728 in the library.

What would be really cool would be trying yeast blending, anyone done that with the English strains and this / other bitter recipes?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #29
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Bierhaus15 - what's your preferred ferment temp/schedule for the wlp006?

I just snagged a vial from my local and will be toasting the malt tonight to allow it to sit for a week or so, then this batch will get the batch sparge "no sparge" treatment. Can't wait.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #30
stevebuscemi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just want to get in on this because of my idiotic posts up top is from when I was first starting brewing. In regards to the milling if you are looking for an alternative to a roller millthis is a good option ,albeit probably a slower one it has work for me. Also if your only crushing 8 oz of grain just but it in a ziplock and crush it with a rolling pin, pretty much can't over do it that way.
To the recipe, if I recall correctly my "burtonizing" of the water went overboard and my beer was too bitter and minerally. But hopefully when my hops arrive in a few weeks I might give this one another try.

Quick Reply