Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Yeoman Special Bitter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 04:09 AM   #11
Hex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Well, it worked! I nearly maxed out my system, and got 11.5 gal of 1.049 OG in return for a very enjoyable 9 hour brew day.

Ladle to lauter

Maxed out?

Room for more?

Two pots full

I'll update the thread with tasting notes.

Thanks for the recipe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #12
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Thanks for sharing. Looks like it was a long brewday, though one well worth it!

Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Old 02-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #14
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What do you think substituting Amber malt for the toasted malt would do? Would it add too much flavor? Less flavor? I've never toasted malt before, not sure what to expect from it.

edit: I wrote the above expecting to get both the amber and some uncrushed pale malt so I would have the option of either. But the LHBS, it seems, has taken to precrushing some of their bulk grains, so I only got the Amber. It's Thomas Fawcett. Should I use this? Or should I try to toast some old American 2-row I have sitting around?

Old 02-24-2011, 03:48 AM   #15
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyforger View Post
What do you think substituting Amber malt for the toasted malt would do? Would it add too much flavor? Less flavor? I've never toasted malt before, not sure what to expect from it.
Amber malt would be a fine substitute, I use it all the time in my English ales, though it will give a completely different flavor to the beer. It's more burnt toast crust/slight cocoa powder flavor than the toasty/biscuit you get from toasted malt. Also, if you do use the amber malt I would probably cut it back to around 3-4% of the grist as it has a pretty strong flavor, especially in this type of beer. Though, it will still make a very tasty pint.

Aside, I make a beer very similar to my posted recipe (86% Maris Otter, 7% Crystal 40L, 4% Amber malt, 3% Crystal 120L) that turns out very well too, as amber malt goes especially well with a good base of crystal malts.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #16
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Okay, thanks. Guess I'll do that. Good thing I didn't just add all the amber to the grist....I almost did. For some reason I tend to become somewhat impulsive while in the LHBS.

I'll have to try to more accurately follow the recipe next time. Maybe order online or something.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #17
HOPCousin
Recipes 

I'm planning to brew this up for summer and will need to get my grains crushed. I saw you said Victory would work as a substitute. It looks like the grav stays the same but would you recommend any change in the amount of Victory in terms of flavor?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #18
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPCousin View Post
I'm planning to brew this up for summer and will need to get my grains crushed. I saw you said Victory would work as a substitute. It looks like the grav stays the same but would you recommend any change in the amount of Victory in terms of flavor?
If your not up to toasting your own malt, Victory is an 'ok' substitute though I'd go no more than 4% of the grist, or around 0.25lb per 5 gallons. If you are using all Maris Otter for your base malt you could skip the victory and/or home toasted malt altogether. However, the home toasted malt adds a rich maltiness that the victory malt doesn't quite have. Also, if you can find it, Amber malt at around 4% of the grist makes a great pint too.

The key to this beer is an even balance of biscuit, caramel malt, and floral hops. Though, the %'s of each can be changed around to whichever flavor you like best. I have nearly 7 different versions of this beer (slightly differing grain bills) that I brew quite often and equally enjoy drinking. Earlier in this thread I mentioned a similar grain bill (86% Maris Otter, 7% Crystal 40L, 4% Amber malt, 3% Crystal 120L) that is equally as good, though a bit more caramelly than biscuity - it won me two BOS' and was on tap at my local brewpub.

If you have any more questions, feel free ask.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #19
HOPCousin
Recipes 

In terms of toasting my malt do you figure I could pick up the 8 oz's of malt and toast it and then bring it back in to crush it with the rest of the grains? Obviously the weight will be off because I would have removed some moisture? I would prefer to do it with greater flavor but I don't crush my own grain. Any thoughts on how to make this happen would be cool. Also, what type of water profile are you using? I usually use a mix of distilled, spring, and a touch of additional calcium chloride to help the flavor and yeast.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:39 AM   #20
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPCousin View Post
In terms of toasting my malt do you figure I could pick up the 8 oz's of malt and toast it and then bring it back in to crush it with the rest of the grains? Obviously the weight will be off because I would have removed some moisture? I would prefer to do it with greater flavor but I don't crush my own grain. Any thoughts on how to make this happen would be cool. Also, what type of water profile are you using? I usually use a mix of distilled, spring, and a touch of additional calcium chloride to help the flavor and yeast.
That wouldn't be a problem - no need to worry about moisture. Also, if you don't have access to a barley crusher or corona mill, you probably could get a decent crush with a heavy rolling pin and a hard surface.

My water is pretty much conducive to brewing darker styles, so I will usually buy spring/RO water from the supermarket and add salts to achieve a better profile for my bitters. Though I don't usually mess around with my water unless I am brewing something for a competition. I wouldn't worry too much about water chem, unless you really like all that stuff!

Quick Reply