Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > Tribute Tribute (St. Austell)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014, 03:19 AM   #1
PeteNMA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Tribute Tribute (St. Austell)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: M79
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 40
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 7.8SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4 days @ 68F
Tasting Notes: Slightly hoppy pale ale, a nice blend of UK and US influence

Thought I'd throw this one out here having had some success. This is a recipe from St Austell brewery in Cornwall, England from the head of the head brewer Roger Ryman who knows a thing or two about good beer. A nice pale ale, decent mouthfeel with just the right amount of head and judicious use of non-typical hops, this is a great summer beer.

Recipe:
Batch size: 6 gallons (5.25 finished beer)
7lbs Maris Otter
2lbs Dark Munich (20L)

Mash in with 3 gallons, 152F rest for 1 hour.
First wort hop with 1 oz UK Fuggles
Sparge with 5 gallons, should collect about 7 gallons in kettle.

Boil for 90 minutes.
Whirlfloc @ 15 mins
1oz ea Willamette and Styrian Goldings @ 10 minutes
1oz ea Willamette and Styrian Goldings @ flameout
Whirlpool for 20 minutes then chill.

Target OG from the real brew is 1.042, my last batch came out at 1.052.

I've had great success using Mangrove Jack dry yeast with this, either the M07 English Ale or M79 Burton Union give great results. The M07 is a bit crisper, the M79 left a little more residual sweetness. It works fine with US-05 too.

FG should come to about 1.010.

A week in the kegs and this is already shaping up very nicely. Best drunk fresh and goes from grain to glass very quickly if you want it to.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
rmyurick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Have you had the real thing? If so, I'd be interested in how they compare. Also, if you'd do anything different in a re-brew.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:33 AM   #3
PeteNMA
Recipes 

I have had an awful lot of the real thing! Sadly living on the US side of the pond now it's beyond my ken to get my hands on it, but I did make sure to refresh my memory on a recent trip back.

This brew comes out very close to the real thing from a cask treated properly by a good cellarman. The bottled stuff is a little different, with a sharper edge and maybe a little less maltiness. The cask stuff is smooth, a great combination of malty goodness with gentle hoppiness on top.

Next time I brew this I'm skipping the M07 yeast, this is definitely best with the M79. I'll probably sparge with another gallon or maybe knock the grain down a little to get the gravity closer to the low to mid 1.040 range. And I have a pump now so I'll whirlpool with that rather than a big spoon. Otherwise I couldn't be happier with how this turned out.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #4
GotDrunkThenLost
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

As an Englishman living in the US I hope this gets near the real thing as I have enjoyed many a wobble home after 1 too may tributes.

I'll be adding this to the to do list.

I think we need a general English beer recipe section of this forum, I'm not a big fan of a lot of American beers, too many are too hoppy for my taste!

Yorkshire Born and Bred, got drunk one time now seem to be living in New Jersey.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:48 AM   #5
GotDrunkThenLost
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Actually, Having found this and being a noob, what sort of carbonation do you aim for and what temps do you drink at?

Yorkshire Born and Bred, got drunk one time now seem to be living in New Jersey.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
PeteNMA
Recipes 

I'm fairly confident that it's at least a reasonable approximation to the real stuff. I think a lot depends on how well you can hot whirlpool the flameout addition, if you only so it half heartedly you'll miss some of that floral aroma and it tends to come out a bit too lemony. Either stir well for the fifteen minutes or use a pump if you have that luxury.

WRT temp and carb, I keep it at 40F on 12psi of gas. It's a nice middle ground I find with the other stuff I keep on tap, as I tend to have an English bitter, American pale ale, some variety of lager and a stout at any one time.

Ideally you'd serve at about 50-55f under about the same pressure. It's certainly a lot more delicious if you pour a pint and let it warm up a little before drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 05-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
GotDrunkThenLost
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks, I'll be sure to give it a try, I'll be using a big spoon for the whirlpool as I'm only just getting going with the brewing.

Got a couple of 2.5 gallon polypin(ish), I might use one and bottle the rest, when I free up a fermenter.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
lewisjharvey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In the recipe, you say you use dry yeast M79 and do not use a yeast starter. Can I read into this that you simply put the dry yeast in the wort when it reaches the correct temperature after cooling or do you still pitch the yeast? The yeast pitching process is not something I've ever done with any great success and I think that is why a lot of my beers are not as good as they should be.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
rmyurick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Lewis, when you put the yeast into the wort, you are "pitching". Maybe you are referring to rehydration? Have you tried Wyeast liquid yeast? Usually is bubbling away within 6 hours, in my experience.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
PeteNMA
Recipes 

With dry yeast I just sprinkle it onto the cooled wort. No need to make starters, and I only bother rehydrating if I feel bored while I'm boiling. I've never been able to pick out a difference in the beer and it means fewer things to sanitise and less cleaning up to biit

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick Reply