Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Special Bitter (1st place HBT Comp)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #41
mgc1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A change in my plans....

I was going to brew this using the exact recipe but I am very interested in being a parti-gyle brewer. I did not have the correct hops on hand but I did have 2oz. of EKG and Cascade. I thought why not experiment so I made recipe on hopville to create 8 gallons with a OG of 1.057, SRM of 8 using a larger amount of Marris Otter and Caramel 40L.

I split this into two beers, I was shooting for an ESB and and APA. If anyone has knowledge of parti-gyle a 1/3 and 2/3 batch would throw my one third way high with OG and SRM and the 2/3 does not fit the APA bill. I ended up boiling one 3 gal batch and one 5 gal batch but I ended up swapping wort between the two to try and raise the OG and SRM in the 5 gal a bit. I also planned to add boiled water to the 3gal (my reasoning is I only have two pots and my original extract pot is only 4 gal.) I ended up hopping each with one hope all the way thru. I have been doing this for a little while so I know enough to be crazy but not full of knowledge or experience. I ended up boiling the 3 gal with 1.4oz hop 60, .4 hop 30 and .2 hop 1min using all EKG and the 5 gal was the same schedule of Cascade. I am in the primary with each and ended up with close to 4 gal of each. The EKG used Safale 04 and the Cacade used the 05.

I am not sure of the actual gravity but feel I am fairly close and read up on how to recalc FG to see if I was correct with my OG. It was my 1st time using my new refractometer and had no distilled water to calibrate and halfway though noticed it was sitting at .005OG while clean? In any case I think I hit 1.053 ESB and 1.043 APA (maybe I will consider this just a pale ale since it is a low OG.)

Sorry this is winded but I thought I would put this all out there since I don't see many posts on Parti-Gyle and with that said, I read up as much as I could and thought I would just go ahead and start off with trial and error. I will try to post back to say how things turned out but I am sure I put enough information on here to have more experienced people pick me apart or question me. The only thing I am still unsure of on this forum is how to actually post items for all to see?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #42
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 10

bOTTLIUNG THIS WEEKEND, USED wYEAST 1028. DOWN TO 1.011.. I HIT 1.048, BUT USED A LITTLE EXTRA GRAIN, AND HAD TOO MUCH WATER/SPARGE. THANKS FOR THE RECIPE.

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #43
surtur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

would something like Nottingham yeast work well with this?

Old 12-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #44
bink00
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Ok... Just read all the replies. What did the original poster use for yeast... Or did I miss it.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #45
cshamilton
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used Safale 04 in my batch, turned out nice with a bit of residual sweetness. I might try it again with Nottingham and see what it's like, since it attenuates a bit better. It might be nice a tad drier - though I did use 3lbs of LME which may not ferment out as well.

I was really happy with beer overall, easy drinking no problem having 2-3 in a night.

My most recent recipes: http://www.brewtoad.com/brewers/191

Old 12-26-2012, 04:17 AM   #46
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bink00
Ok... Just read all the replies. What did the original poster use for yeast... Or did I miss it.
I would think wlp002 or Wyeast 1968 ESB would do great, though I have no idea what the OP uses.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #47
Soilworker
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Would it be possible to do this as an extract brew? I was thinking of doing the following for a 5 gallon batch:

Fermentables:
6lbs Marris Otter LME
1lb Extra Light DME

Steeping Grains:
0.5lbs Crystal 20L

Hops:
2.00oz East Kent Goldings (60min)
0.5oz East Kent Goldings (30min)
0.5oz East Kent Goldings (1min)

Any feedback is appreciated.

Secondary: West Flanders Red, Golden Sour, Saison Brett #2 with Brett custersianus and Brett naardenensis, Saison Brett #1 with Brett bruxellensis

On Deck: 100% Brett IPA, West Flanders Red #2 with ECY BugFarm

Old 06-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #48
BoBoBenton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just ordered my ingredients and l I've been growing some Adnams yeast from a mini cask of Broadside so I'm looking forward to seeing what that'll spit out!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #49
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilworker View Post
Would it be possible to do this as an extract brew? I was thinking of doing the following for a 5 gallon batch:

Fermentables:
6lbs Marris Otter LME
1lb Extra Light DME

Steeping Grains:
0.5lbs Crystal 20L

Hops:
2.00oz East Kent Goldings (60min)
0.5oz East Kent Goldings (30min)
0.5oz East Kent Goldings (1min)

Any feedback is appreciated.
Looks good to me

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #50
goodyx7
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I know it's old but chose this one for my first AG. Been reading for a year first post. My LHBS only had 2 oz EKG so went with First Gold late editions OG was 1.048. Also went with 04 been a hour already have movement in air lock. Tasted sample be hard to wait for this one.

Quick Reply