Ordinary Bitter Pub Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP005
Yeast Starter
YES
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 68°F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 60°F
Pub Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

08-A English Pale Ale, Standard/Ordinary Bitter

Min OG: 1.032 Max OG: 1.040
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 35
Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Extract (Lbs): 6.50
Anticipated OG: 1.042 Plato: 10.48
Anticipated SRM: 8.1
Anticipated IBU: 32.2
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
46.2 4.50 lbs. English Pale 2-row Malt 1.038
15.4 1.00 lbs. Toasted Malt(2-row) America 1.033
7.7 0.50 lbs. Brown Sugar Generic 1.046
7.7 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033
7.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034
7.7 0.50 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033
7.7 0.50 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat America 1.034

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 29.0 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 3.2 5 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 whirlfloc tablet :05 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WhiteLabs WLP005 (or equiv)

Notes:

Shooting for my twist on Boddington's.

Brown sugar prep: Heat with 1/2 cup water in saucepan until boiling, cool slightly and add to kettle with 15 minutes left.

Toasted Malt: Toast 1 lb. 2-row in 275° oven for 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through.

Mash @ 148° F for 60 minutes

Extract version:

Subsitute 3 lbs. DME for the English 2 row. Steep all grains together at around 150° with a little bit of DME.

Awards:
1st place Dominion Cup 2006 in the English Pale Ale category.

D'oh. :eek:

I printed off a version of this and took it to my LHBS and never even noticed the notes. They put together an extract version that is similar to your notes, except they calculated 4 lbs. DME.

Very well could be just because of the OG value of the DME used. I used the "generic" value from Promash to get 3 lbs. Could be anywhere between 3 and 4 prolly.

I'm drinking this bad boy right now, but I made it as a PM. (Me Likey :D)

Dude's Pub Ale (Original Version from 2006)

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 2.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 7.00
Anticipated OG: 1.036 Plato: 8.98
Anticipated SRM: 6.7
Anticipated IBU: 26.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 30 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 18.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 3.05 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.059 SG 14.45 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
42.9 3.00 lbs. Muntons DME - Extra Light England 1.046 3
14.3 1.00 lbs. Pale Malt(6-row) America 1.035 2
14.3 1.00 lbs. Toasted Pale Malt(6-row) America 1.035 2
7.1 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
7.1 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
7.1 0.50 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
7.1 0.50 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat America 1.034 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 22.2 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 4.4 10 min.

Yeast
-----
S04

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 4.00
Water Qts: 5.20 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 1.30 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 20
Sparge Temp : 175 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 1.62 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Here is some beer pron... (Yes - Geeky Engineer....)

Front View

Boddington_Pub_Ale_002.jpg

Top View

Boddington_Pub_Ale_003.jpg

Isometric View

Boddington_Pub_Ale_001.jpg

I am about to brew this recipe and I was wondering how the UK pale malt would convert this amount of the adjuncts, as the base malt is only about 50% of the grist, does the toasted 2-row contain enzymes?

I used 6-row since it has more enzymes. Also the toasted 6-row is a DIY thing; Did my differently, 10 Minutes @ 350F ( Charlies P's Method)

My mash efficiency was 71% It was right where I expected it to be.

THanks for posting this recipe!!! It is excellent!! This really surprised me how much better it is than the English pub ales found in Enland. Mine is slightly under carbed right now but is still fantastic. :mug:

Dude, this looks great (I just ordered the grains to finally brew up a batch of Lake Walk), and am looking to brew this pub ale soon. Why do you boil it for 90 min?

Dude, this looks great (I just ordered the grains to finally brew up a batch of Lake Walk), and am looking to brew this pub ale soon. Why do you boil it for 90 min?

Usually longer boils are in an effort to rid the wort of [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dimethyl Sulfides (DMS)[/FONT]. This is the cooked vege flavor that is common on cheap swill beer. Rapid cooling after the boil is very help too. Its very important to drop down to 140F really fast. The faster the better IMO.

Look at this link; How to Brew - By John Palmer - Common Off-Flavors

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dimethyl Sulfides (DMS)/ Cooked Vegetable Flavors
Like diacetyl in ales, DMS is common in many light lagers and is considered to be part of the character. DMS is produced in the wort during the boil by the reduction of another compound, S-methyl-methionine (SMM), which is itself produced during malting. When a malt is roasted or toasted, the SMM is reduced beforehand and does not manifest as DMS in the wort, which explains why it is more prevalent in pale lagers. In other styles, DMS is a common off-flavor, and can be caused by poor brewing practices or bacterial infections.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DMS is continuously produced in the wort while it is hot and is usually removed by vaporization during the boil. If the wort is cooled slowly these compounds will not be removed from the wort and will dissolve back in. Thus it is important to not completely cover the brewpot during the boil or allow condensate to drip back into the pot from the lid. The wort should also be cooled quickly after the boil, either by immersing in an ice bath or using a wort chiller.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When caused by bacterial infection, DMS has a more rancid character, more liked cooked cabbage than corn. It is usually the result of poor sanitation. Repitching the yeast from an infected batch of beer will perpetuate the problem. [/FONT]

Usually longer boils are in an effort to rid the wort of [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dimethyl Sulfides (DMS)[/FONT]. This is the cooked vege flavor that is common on cheap swill beer. Rapid cooling after the boil is very help too. Its very important to drop down to 140F really fast. The faster the better IMO.

Look at this link; How to Brew - By John Palmer - Common Off-Flavors

Thanks- I knew about DMS and 90-minute boils with pilsener malts, but was curious about it with this recipe, especially since the folks who have endorsed it are such good brewers.

I made a Pub Ale based on this recipe recently. I must say, it was Excellent! A nice flavorful session beer.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 53.33 %
1.00 lb Toasted Malt (27.0 SRM) Grain 13.33 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
1.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 27.4 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
0.50 lb Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 6.67 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.036 SG (1.032-1.040 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.036 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.010 SG (1.007-1.011 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Estimated Color: 11.3 SRM (4.0-14.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 31.0 IBU (25.0-35.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 6.8 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 3.49 % (3.20-3.80 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 3.51 %
Actual Calories: 157 cal/pint

Good Morning Everyone,

I stumbled across this recipe while looking for a english pale ale to make for my next brew. I must say, I really like what I am seeing. Especially everyone's descriptions of it. Yummy!

But I have one question before I head off to my LHBS and get the ingredients to make this.
For the Toasted Malt, Do you crush it before or after you toast the pale malt in the oven?

I don't own a mill at home so all my grain milling is done at the LHBS.

Thanks for the help...
Redbeard5289

redbeard,

never made this recipe although the 4 or 5 times that i've made Lake Walk Pale Ale (which calls for toasted malt) I've toasted it both ways, crushed and not crushed, didn't seem to make a difference. I have my own mill now so I tend to toast and then crush.

Also, I'll be brewing this recipe tonight... looks like a good one.

looks really nice. Is this based on intel from the actual boddingtons recipe, or freestyled?

What's the water and temp schedule after mashing @ 148F?

For 5G, mash in 3G of water @ 157F to get it to 148F for 60min.
Then 3.65G @ 186F to get it to 168F for another 30 min?

Any help?

Thanks!

Brewed up a batch of the AG-version of this recipe this morning, and I'm happy to report that it's probably the first brewing I've done where everything went more-or-less according to plan. There were no huge surprises or disasters, and I felt surprisingly capable at the end of it! The batch is currently sitting in its carboy, waiting for the yeast to kick in and start doing its thing.

I made a couple slight changes to the overall recipe, thought I'd note them here:

- Used 6-row instead of 2-row, for hopefully a good, solid head (something I haven't been able to achieve yet).
- Light brown sugar instead of Dark brown sugar, since it's what I had. I imagine this will make the flavor a bit lighter than expected, but I'm okay with that for now.
- Used more water to boil the brown sugar - my sparge was a little low, only being able to get about 1.5 gallons due to my available pots and kettles being just too small to do more than that for a sparge. Need to get a bigger boil kettle, I expect... Anyway, I took the opportunity to boil the sugar in more water and use that to get back up to ~5 gallons in the boil.
- Also, used Wyeast 1098, British Ale, since I couldn't find WLP005 at my LHBS...

Looking forward to tasting this one, Boddington's is easily my favorite pub-style ale, and I'd love to be able to make something as good.

Back