Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > Multiple - Pride of Raubsville

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #71
ido50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Got a batch of this (the extract version) in two party pigs. Turned out very well. Just finishing the first pig.

06-fermentation.jpg   10-carbonation.jpg   11-drinking.jpg  

Oh yeast, you magnificent bastards.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 02:59 AM   #72
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just want to bump this recipe, as it got me where I wanted to be in terms of brewing a good English bitter. I had an involuntary hiatus from brewing (had a kid, moved, job, etc.), and am now returning. An ESB based on Bob's ratio is the first beer out of the gate, probably the 5th or sixth time I've used his ratio (80% pale malt, 10% Crystal, 10% Sugar, and roughly 0.7 IBU/SG), and that's because this nails the flavor profile and character I want in a good ESB; as close as I can get to a fresh English cask ale without buying a plane ticket.

Anyway, you can tinker with different crystal malts or yeast varieties. I play it a little conservatively and keep everything English, but that's because I love a good English bitter. Stick with the basic ratio, or at least close to it, and you'll be fine.

I suppose my real point is that the ratios Bob laid out here really will serve you well. Of course there's room for creativity and doing your own thing; it's brewing, after all. But this right here is the perfect antidote to the kitchen sink/kid in a candy store methodology that is so tempting when putting together a recipe. Simple and delicious. Thanks, Bob.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #73
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I pitch KISS very strongly.

I've been brewing since 1993. In that time, much has changed. Yeast has gotten fantastically better. Ingredients have expanded. The knowledge base has increased exponentially. Equipment has improved immeasurably.

However, one thing remains constant: Brewers just get too &^%$#! complicated. They insist on adding all manner of things to a recipe, making it resemble Tolkien's description of a tree - encompassing three or four pages of dense text - instead of "Here is a tree." The overwhelming majority of the time, there is no need to be so complicated. It is needless, for simple is just as good.

Cheers!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Quick Reply