Pistol's ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 109
Yeast Starter
2 quarts
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
40-44
Color
15?
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
A slight fruiter taste, not too pronounced, late spicyness.
Grain Bill:
3.75# Cooper's English Bitter hopped LME
3# Munton's Light DME

Hops:
1oz Willemette @ 10-15 minutes

Yeast:
Wyeast British Ale in 2 quart starter
Note: I would consider SAFALE 04 at the recommendation of a poster to save money and time.

This is my house ale for it's extreme level of simplicity. I've turned it around in 4 weeks and it's a good gateway beer to introduce your friends to homebrewing.

I serve @ 40F in a pint glass. Pour a bottle directely down the middle of the pint glass and you'll get a perfect pour everytime.

Edit: Can a moderator change my recipe to say Wyeast 1098 please.

Speaking of Pistol . . .

I saw a great play last night, called St. Crispin's Day. It takes Shakespeare's Henry and turns it on its head, its from the point of view of the peasant/soldiers, including Pistol. Its a very subversive and funny play.

Your recipe looks like a good extract bitter batch! I'm enjoying a batch of bitter now, too!

If you find it light on body you may want to add some steeping grains. Also, a little irish moss may help with a little clarity. Of course my goal is simplicity and steeping grains is about 50% of the work involved in an extract session, so it's optional.

What exactly is it that you're boiling? I thought coopers kits, or any hopped extract kits, don't need to be boiled, and actually would impart a bad flavor to the beer. I guess this is wrong, but I'd like to know what it is you're boiling?

I boiled the liquid extract for 40 minutes, then I added the DME the last 20 minutes. I've been told boiling extract w/ hops helps hop utilization. Next time I make the recipe I may not boil for 40 minutes, and just long enough to help the hops.

You could probably get away with a 15 minute boil.

I made this again tonight and see zero reason for a 40 minute boil. I boiled it for 15 minutes. I see no reason that wouldn't be adequate.

After lurking and lurking I decided to use this recipe for my first homebrew. I did modify it a bit as I just did a 10 minute boil of the hops. Then flame out and ad the DME and Coopers. Just finished bottling after 14 days in primary. If the finished product tastes better than the 2 pints I put down while bottling I will be quite happy.

After lurking and lurking I decided to use this recipe for my first homebrew. I did modify it a bit as I just did a 10 minute boil of the hops. Then flame out and ad the DME and Coopers. Just finished bottling after 14 days in primary. If the finished product tastes better than the 2 pints I put down while bottling I will be quite happy.

Gotta love when people down 2 pints warm flat beer while they bottle. I'm glad you went with it. Let me know how it turns out.

I've been looking for a quick, good recipe to boost my stockpile. This might be it…

Just had an unusual white Christmas here in Oklahoma and it is snowing again. Christmas eve was a hit with my first batch of home brew Pistol's ESB...Thanks for the recipe. Sorry for bad cel phone pic.

I had to change yeast to 1028 for this past batch because of my ferment temps. It's a completely different flavor. It's a lot more roasty and robust malty w/o any hint of the fruitiness.

I don't enjoy it nearly as much, and will just wait until I can ferment 1098 again.

After some more time in the bottle the bitter really improved even with 1028. I served it last night to my father. He doesn't like any of my beers. This one, again, was a big hit.

I also tried w/ more hops, but the hops just get pushed out of the way by the malt, so I would keep the original recipe's amount.

Back