Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > Ol' Bitter Bastard (2013 NHC Gold medal)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
Brewddha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyC View Post
Awesome! Let me know how it turns out with the BIAB method!
Well, ended up with 1.034 starting gravity with BIAB, so off to a good start. The gravity sample tasted good! If all goes well the rest of the way (*knock wood*) should be a tasty bitter. Now comes the hard part - waiting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Planning on making a version of this, but challenging myself to work with my ingredients on hand, so I will need to make some substitutions. I will post my recipe.

Thanks for posting this, and congratulations!

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
PattyC
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewddha View Post
Well, ended up with 1.034 starting gravity with BIAB, so off to a good start. The gravity sample tasted good! If all goes well the rest of the way (*knock wood*) should be a tasty bitter. Now comes the hard part - waiting.
Sounds like you're on track! Good thing about this beer -- you can get away with packaging in 2 weeks thanks to the low gravity.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
PattyC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by libeerty View Post
Planning on making a version of this, but challenging myself to work with my ingredients on hand, so I will need to make some substitutions. I will post my recipe.

Thanks for posting this, and congratulations!
Thank you! Please do post that recipe. Always fun to work with what you have. I need to do that more often. I think I still have hops from last year in the freezer.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyC
The FWH I use to both dial in my target IBUs and I feel it gives my beers a smoother bitterness. The gypsum helps make the necessary bitterness pop. You're guess is as good as mine re: EKG; all I know is I prefer the US. I can Styrian throwing off some judges, so I'd switch to Goldings or Fuggles. We have great brewing water here in Greensboro, NC -- Campden is required, but that's about it.
I can relate, I prefer US Fuggles to the UK version.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Congrats Patrick!

Do you have any experience bottle conditioning with this yeast strain? I've had 1968 over-carb and dry out in the bottle

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 07-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #17
PattyC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
Congrats Patrick!

Do you have any experience bottle conditioning with this yeast strain? I've had 1968 over-carb and dry out in the bottle
Thanks!

As far as I can recall, I've only kegged with this strain. I'd just be conservative about your sugar addition when bottling. I don't have as much experience with 1968, but I can say that I think 1469 holds the malt and body a bit better, so give it a shot and go from there.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #18
OldAtHeart
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, I'm finally drinking my version of this brew. Due to brewing on a tight timeline and the limited bulk grain availability at my local shop, I had to make quite a few substitutions. The grain available was all Breiss, so I used C10 and C90 instead of the C15 and C85. I also used English Kent instead of American, and the one part I most regret having to sub was S-04 for the 1469 yeast. I'd really like to try that Yorkshire yeast sometime soon.

So, even with all those little adjustments, this is a really good beer. It's got a nice maltiness, fermented nice and dry, and is very easy drinking. There's a homebrew competition coming up soon, and I'm going to enter this one along with a few others. I'll post up that turns into anything.

Thanks again for sharing your recipe, PattyC!

Old 08-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #19
PattyC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAtHeart View Post
Well, I'm finally drinking my version of this brew. Due to brewing on a tight timeline and the limited bulk grain availability at my local shop, I had to make quite a few substitutions. The grain available was all Breiss, so I used C10 and C90 instead of the C15 and C85. I also used English Kent instead of American, and the one part I most regret having to sub was S-04 for the 1469 yeast. I'd really like to try that Yorkshire yeast sometime soon.

So, even with all those little adjustments, this is a really good beer. It's got a nice maltiness, fermented nice and dry, and is very easy drinking. There's a homebrew competition coming up soon, and I'm going to enter this one along with a few others. I'll post up that turns into anything.

Thanks again for sharing your recipe, PattyC!
Awesome sauce. Sometimes the best beers come from unsuccessfully attempting to replicate someone's recipe due to limited ingredient availability. Sounds like it turned out nice! That said, yes, give 1469 a try sometime, as well as the British-sourced dark crystal. They are essential, IMO. In the meantime, good luck in the comp!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #20
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 93

This is a great recipe, thanks for posting. It’s very similar to an OB that I’ve brewed twice, based on Ray Daniel’s great book, and I just didn't like what I made. But I think you’re fixing here what I don’t like about my recipe! I’m not a huge fan of EKG’s bittering and I think your slight bump in caramel/crystal is helpful too (I’m at ~9% and you’re at ~13%).

I too have Marris Otter, medium English caramel malt, and biscuit. We depart with the rest. You’re using more crystal/caramel % over all, and some U.S. crystal to boot. I’m using EKG & Fuggles, you’ve replaced EKG with a U.S. version.

I’ve never used the 1469 yeast but I’ll be damned if the info on it doesn’t sound perfect for the style!

Although, I do use flaked barley, which adds some nice rich mouthfeel, and a pinch of aromatic (I’m an aromatic junky and it’s just a pinch)….I’ll keep those.

And I’ll absolutely track down some U.S. Goldings to try over EKG!

Quick Reply