Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > Ol' Bitter Bastard (2013 NHC Gold medal)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
PattyC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Ol' Bitter Bastard (2013 NHC Gold medal)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1469
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.037
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 33.7
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.3
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days @ 67 F
Tasting Notes: An easy-to-drink British session ale with a great malt and earthy hop balance.

I am excited to post this recipe for my Standard/Ordinary Bitter, which just won a gold medal in the final round of the 2013 National Homebrew Competition! I hope you enjoy brewing it and, of course, drinking it as much as I have. If you have any success with it in competition, please share the news!

Recipe: Ol' Bitter Bastard
Brewer: Patrick Collins
Asst Brewer:
Style: Standard/Ordinary Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (45.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.74 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type %/IBU
0.25 tsp Gypsum (Boil 60.0 mins Water Agent -
6 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 83.7 %
9.0 oz Crystal 15 (15.0 SRM) 7.0 %
7.0 oz Crystal Malt - 85L (Thomas Fawcett) 5.4 %
5.0 oz Biscuit (Dingemans) (22.5 SRM) 3.9 %
0.70 oz U.S. Goldings [4.70 %] - First Wort 13.8 IBUs
0.60 oz U.S. Goldings [4.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min 10.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min 5.2 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)
0.60 oz U.S. Goldings [4.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min 3.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
0.40 oz U.S. Goldings [4.70 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale Yeast

Process/notes:
Mash at 152 F for 60 minutes. I batch sparge. As you begin to drain your second runnings, add FWH. I add Gypsum, dissolved in warm water, at the beginning of the boil for a little more control than you might get from a mash addition. Note that I use U.S. Goldings (produced by Indie), which I get from my LHBS. I like these better than EKG. If you can get your hands on some, I highly recommend them. If not, no biggie. The Crystal 15 is domestic, but definitely source a British malt for the darker crystal. The Belgian biscuit was a tweak I made when I re-brewed for the final round. I think it gives it more character than Victory malt. I love Wyeast 1469, and use it for most of my bitters, porters and stouts. For this low OG, you do not need to make a starter. As with most of my beers, I ferment at around 67 for 3 weeks, then keg at around 2.3-2.5 volumes. Enjoy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
OldAtHeart
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing, and congratulations. I'll be brewing this one this week!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
PattyC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAtHeart View Post
This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing, and congratulations. I'll be brewing this one this week!
Thank you! Enjoy your brew session, and please let me know how it turns out

Old 07-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks Patrick and congratulations on the gold medal! What about US Goldings do you like over the EKG? Is it simply freshnes or some other quality? I'm interested in replacing my imported hops with domestic and EKG might be on the list although I should say I just bought Challenger and Northdown...

On Deck: English Bitter, RIS

Old 07-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
PattyC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thstreet
Thanks Patrick and congratulations on the gold medal! What about US Goldings do you like over the EKG? Is it simply freshnes or some other quality? I'm interested in replacing my imported hops with domestic and EKG might be on the list although I should say I just bought Challenger and Northdown...
Thanks! It's been quite a while since I used EKG so I couldn't describe specific differences, which are probably subtle. However, from what I've tasted in beers that use EKG, it tends to be woodier, sharper, even a bit metallic at times. But that might just be my palate, or lack thereof. I think what you said - freshness - is probably more important and possibly noticeable. Regardless, I find that a good dose of the US Goldings are needed when used as bittering, hence the FWH and 60 minute addition plus gypsum. Not sure if original EKG would require the same.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That was my next question, regarding the FWH. Sounds reasonable! About the EKG, I've heard that the amount you use (and/or how you use it) can result in "orange marmalade". I can't say I've gotten that from mine, but the pound of leaf hops I got several years ago did not sit well with me. Can't say it was woody or metallic, but maybe a harshness or rough spiciness I wasn't expecting. My water could also be a contributing factor. I will say though that Styrian Goldings (1oz/5gal @ 5 min) resulted in judges' comments as being "too citrusy/American for the style, but acceptable". Thanks for the reply!

On Deck: English Bitter, RIS

Old 07-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
PattyC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thstreet View Post
That was my next question, regarding the FWH. Sounds reasonable! About the EKG, I've heard that the amount you use (and/or how you use it) can result in "orange marmalade". I can't say I've gotten that from mine, but the pound of leaf hops I got several years ago did not sit well with me. Can't say it was woody or metallic, but maybe a harshness or rough spiciness I wasn't expecting. My water could also be a contributing factor. I will say though that Styrian Goldings (1oz/5gal @ 5 min) resulted in judges' comments as being "too citrusy/American for the style, but acceptable". Thanks for the reply!
The FWH I use to both dial in my target IBUs and I feel it gives my beers a smoother bitterness. The gypsum helps make the necessary bitterness pop. You're guess is as good as mine re: EKG; all I know is I prefer the US. I can Styrian throwing off some judges, so I'd switch to Goldings or Fuggles. We have great brewing water here in Greensboro, NC -- Campden is required, but that's about it.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
Brewddha
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the recipe. Just starting my brew day right now, brewing it today using BIAB. Had to settle for EKG, but oh well. Was looking for a nice session beer, and after an amazing bitter at Magnolia in San Francisco recently, I was inspired to brew one. Excited to try it, looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
PattyC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewddha View Post
Thanks for the recipe. Just starting my brew day right now, brewing it today using BIAB. Had to settle for EKG, but oh well. Was looking for a nice session beer, and after an amazing bitter at Magnolia in San Francisco recently, I was inspired to brew one. Excited to try it, looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
Awesome! Let me know how it turns out with the BIAB method!

Quick Reply