Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > Extract - English Pub Ale (Extract)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 03:57 AM   #21
TheWiz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Brewed this on Fri. with 3.5 lbs LME, Notty yeast, and Amber DME (Not sure if Amber is the lightest or middle). Didn't get the OG sample, but it looks great. Can't wait to put this on tap and not get hammered during Football!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #22
schia
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

folks,

I'm planning to brew this weekend and this seems like an easy recipe to follow and will report back my finding in the next month or so.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
bizarrojosh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm bottling this today. It looks super clean thanks to the 2 weeks secondary. I'll report back in another 3 weeks or so when it's ready to be quaffed.

update:
I took a sample while bottling and it turned out pretty good. I got about 47 bottles which I guess is pretty good since I racked it into a secondary. Really looking forward to three weeks from now.

Last edited by bizarrojosh; 04-08-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
bizarrojosh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarrojosh View Post
I'm bottling this today. It looks super clean thanks to the 2 weeks secondary. I'll report back in another 3 weeks or so when it's ready to be quaffed.

update:
I took a sample while bottling and it turned out pretty good. I got about 47 bottles which I guess is pretty good since I racked it into a secondary. Really looking forward to three weeks from now.

Well, after drinking all the bottles I find that this beer is just not quite what I was expecting. The low alc. content is great for a session drink, but the beer has a slight watery taste because the grain bill is a bit low. The hop flavor is nice, but weak. I might brew this again if I need a very delicate beer. This was also my first English Pub Ale so I might not like the style (I'll have to taste others to see). Overall I give this about a 6/10 based on my preferences. I have no idea how it compares to other EPA's so someone else give a rating on that please!

Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #25
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarrojosh View Post
Well, after drinking all the bottles I find that this beer is just not quite what I was expecting. The low alc. content is great for a session drink, but the beer has a slight watery taste because the grain bill is a bit low. The hop flavor is nice, but weak. I might brew this again if I need a very delicate beer. This was also my first English Pub Ale so I might not like the style (I'll have to taste others to see). Overall I give this about a 6/10 based on my preferences. I have no idea how it compares to other EPA's so someone else give a rating on that please!
Keep in mind that pub ale is the english version of our light beer. Try a can of Boddington's. Tell if you think different about this beer. You just might not like the style. I go hot and cold on some styles. I think its weather related.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|
bizarrojosh Likes This 
Old 05-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #26
PlasticBeer
Recipes 

Default Finished Brewing

I brewed this a few weeks ago. I didn't rack to a secondary but got the FG under 1.010. I'd agree with some of the other posters. This beer is certainly "light". It has a real "thin" quality to it. The hops come through and the color is perfect, but the maltiness is really lacking. I would argue that a Boddington's has a bit of a heavier flavor, but I'll give this a good week in the keg to see how it matures. Overall, if you want a swillin' beer, this can certainly be drunk by the truckloads!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #27
bizarrojosh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
Keep in mind that pub ale is the english version of our light beer. Try a can of Boddington's. Tell if you think different about this beer. You just might not like the style. I go hot and cold on some styles. I think its weather related.

I never thought about that before. If that's the case then I see why my "ranking system" (i.e., taste buds) gave it a mediocre score. I guess I wasn't thinking about it like that. Let me say this then, I'd drink this over miller light anyday!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #28
PeteNMA
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IMO a recipe along these lines makes a very drinkable beer, but I'd add an extra pound of DME and do an extra hop addition at 15 minutes. Either another 1oz of EKG, or go with 1oz Fuggles at 60 mins, then 1oz EKG at 15 and 5 minutes.

I appreciate the session beer goal, but 3.3% abv is definitely on the low end of typical English cask ales, and you need some extra stuff in there with extract to give the beer some body. Might be an idea to steep some biscuit along with the 40L.

Quick Reply