Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Common Room ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #481
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskate View Post
Gotcha. I'm using a 10 gallon cooler, just calculated general heat loss on 5 gallons of 170 degree water... lost about 4 degrees over an hour, opened the lid twice, as I could by stirring.

BeerSmith is suggesting that I mash at 166.3, step down to 152 for 60 mins. Also to sparge at 168. Will probably 2-step batch, total of 3.38 gallons. Grain will probably be room temp, around 68-70.
I'm sure you meant strike at 166 and mash at 152. You do NOT want to mash at 166.

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #482
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 84

If I'm reading it correctly (according to BeerSmiths calculations based on the grain temp): Heat strike water to 166* and add to MT, then add grains and step-down temp should hit 152*, then begin mash for 60 mins.

Unless that's not at all what it means...

Also, going to put a cap on my questions as they're cluttering this thread.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #483
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskate View Post
If I'm reading it correctly (according to BeerSmiths calculations based on the grain temp): Heat strike water to 166* and add to MT, then add grains and step-down temp should hit 152*, then begin mash for 60 mins.

Unless that's not at all what it means...
That's right. It's just the terminology that confused things. Mash temp is what you end up at -- your target for the mash itself. Strike temp is the higher number (with my setup I also strike at 166F to mash at 152F for most batches).

Just make sure to stir like crazy at first and get some readings from different spots in the mash to make sure you're really on target with the temp.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #484
autiger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autiger View Post
LHBS doesn't carry Safale and I don't want to pitch onto the yeast cake of the British IPA I am bottling tomorrow that used S-04 so I picked up WY1968.

I went 10lbs 2-row, 8oz. 40L, 4 oz. 120L and 4 oz. biscuit. Used my cereal killer grain mill for the first time tonight and will be brewing tomorrow. Sticking to same hops as the original recipe.
Well I brewed this up two weeks ago. OG was 1.052 and checked just now and it's at 1.013. I would say it's finished. Hydro sample was much lighter than I was hoping, probably from using c40 and c120. It has a bit more of a hop bite than I would have hoped for in this style. I accidentally forgot to FWH and tossed the 1.5oz in after it got to boil and was in for 60. We will see how it is once it's had a chance to get carbed up and I will report back.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #485
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autiger View Post

Well I brewed this up two weeks ago. OG was 1.052 and checked just now and it's at 1.013. I would say it's finished. Hydro sample was much lighter than I was hoping, probably from using c40 and c120. It has a bit more of a hop bite than I would have hoped for in this style. I accidentally forgot to FWH and tossed the 1.5oz in after it got to boil and was in for 60. We will see how it is once it's had a chance to get carbed up and I will report back.
I made the same mistake with the FWH, totally forgot, the them in at 60 min

Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #486
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Brewed this today as my first AG batch... so far everything seems good. Hit ~77% efficiency according to BeerSmith.

Like many beginners I ran into issues. First, getting the mash temp correct. Even with preheating the MLT, it registered as 151, so I had to add some hot, then some cold, and it took way too long to hit the right mark. Then of course the temp dropped about 6 degrees (according to the thermometer, although I'm a bit skeptical about that)

Got 1.050 pre-boil, 1.060 post boil. Looked good, tasted good, we'll see how this goes.

Edit: Also had to use Willamette for Fuggle, and threw .25 tsp of Irish moss in.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #487
tsisson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This was a lot of firsts for me: first time brewing an ESB, first time using FWH and first time entering a competition. I brewed this on 12/1/12 and submitted it for the Midwinter Hombrew Competition on 1/2/13. It was still young at the time and I was just hoping for a critique. Meanwhile it continued to improve and yesterday it took silver in the English pale ale category with a score of 45.
I followed the recipe exactly with adjustments for efficiency and hit 1056 OG and 1010 FG. The appearance was just like the OPs picture even though beersmith predicts a pale straw color with possible green tinge?
I rarely want to brew a recipe twice since there are so many styles I haven't brewed yet but this one will be a regular.
Thanks for the great recipe.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #488
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsisson View Post
This was a lot of firsts for me: first time brewing an ESB, first time using FWH and first time entering a competition. I brewed this on 12/1/12 and submitted it for the Midwinter Hombrew Competition on 1/2/13. It was still young at the time and I was just hoping for a critique. Meanwhile it continued to improve and yesterday it took silver in the English pale ale category with a score of 45.
I followed the recipe exactly with adjustments for efficiency and hit 1056 OG and 1010 FG. The appearance was just like the OPs picture even though beersmith predicts a pale straw color with possible green tinge?
I rarely want to brew a recipe twice since there are so many styles I haven't brewed yet but this one will be a regular.
Thanks for the great recipe.
Glad you liked it!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #489
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just tapped this and oh boy is it good. I feel like I'm in the middle ages!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #490
autiger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I bottled on Saturday and I am itching to crack one open. I will hold out til this weekend to see where it is at. In the bottle, I would have to say this is the clearest batch I have made yet.

Quick Reply