Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Common Room ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #451
Illuveatar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm considering brewing this in the next few days with WLP002. I'm varying the original recipe slightly but after reading 35 pages in this thread I'm really only concerned about one thing.

This would be my second AG batch and my first, a Belgian Red, came out with an 82% efficiency. It's hard to say if that'll happen again since I'm so green. If it does however, then I'll get an OG of something like 1.061 and with the low attenuation of WLP002 the FG will be near 1.019 which is too sweet for this style.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but my guess is that I should mash at a lower temp. I'm thinking 150F should do it but I'd like to hear what you folks with more experience have to say first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #452
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuveatar View Post
I'm considering brewing this in the next few days with WLP002. I'm varying the original recipe slightly but after reading 35 pages in this thread I'm really only concerned about one thing.

This would be my second AG batch and my first, a Belgian Red, came out with an 82% efficiency. It's hard to say if that'll happen again since I'm so green. If it does however, then I'll get an OG of something like 1.061 and with the low attenuation of WLP002 the FG will be near 1.019 which is too sweet for this style.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but my guess is that I should mash at a lower temp. I'm thinking 150F should do it but I'd like to hear what you folks with more experience have to say first.
Yeah, I recommend anyone using WLP002, Wyeast 1968, or any other liquid british yeast with known low attenuation to mash this recipe at 148-150.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #453
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I had a Bitch Creek ESB the other day and really liked it. Gonna try brewing my first esb using your recipe. Can't wait!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #454
Illuveatar
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I brewed this last night, all went fairly well, my efficiency was a bit lower than I expected but I still got an OG of 1.056. I'm looking forward to drinking this in a month or so. My LHBS only had one ounce of EKG in stock (unusual, they're normally stocked full) so I bought some UK Progress to make up the difference.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #455
daggers_nz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

So I'm about 3/4 the way through my batch, aged about 7 weeks, I get a really earthy taste from the hops as opposed to bitter.. might have to do the recipe again and just see it wasn't a bad batch. An enjoyable and drinkable drop for sure, just not how I was hoping it to taste.

Drinking: Belgian IPA, Basil Lime Saison, Dark Saison, WY1007 Kolsch, Centennial Blonde

Old 12-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #456
atimmerman88
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKozak View Post
Just added 2oz of my whole hops from the backyard to the primary for some dry hopping. The color was fantastic and it tasted delicious already. Gravity was at 1.020 -- so maybe I shouldn't have dry hopped yet since the goal is to aim for 1.014? I'm not sure. I did let it sit for 2 weeks even though the recipe recommended 3 weeks. I've read so much conflicting information as to when dry hopping should start (after initial fermentation 7-10 days v. total 3-4 weeks). I just shot for inbetween those recommendations. Anyhow, we'll see what happens. I'm excited. I'll drop a line when I bottle. Cheers!
It looks like there are a few folks who've dry hopped this....

My question, I've ran into some issues, [I think my thermometer is out of calibration and I mashed too high], and I've got a stuck/finished fermentation at 1.03.

It's been there for 2 weeks at 68F. Hydrometer samples are pretty sweet but not way over the top like I expected. Wondering if I dry hop it with the left over 1/2oz of Fuggle I've got or something else if it would help compensate for the residual sweetness?

Untapped

Old 12-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #457
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggers_nz View Post
So I'm about 3/4 the way through my batch, aged about 7 weeks, I get a really earthy taste from the hops as opposed to bitter.. might have to do the recipe again and just see it wasn't a bad batch. An enjoyable and drinkable drop for sure, just not how I was hoping it to taste.
I think its the S04. I just pulled a sample out of my ferment after a week and I get a very earthy taste, but the fuggles sure help contribute me thinks we my experience in working with them. Hit the OPs number perfectly, will keg tomorrow and start drinking when I'm not on call next Monday most likely.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #458
lawle102
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I made this beer about a month ago and used some Safale t-58 and it is fantastic. The T-58 gave it a little banana like flavors and it really works well I think. I know it's not to style but tastes great. Definitely a new go to favorite for me.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #459
IsaacBrewton
Recipes 

I brewed this ESB on Thanksgiving morning. Only change to the recipe was that I used Wyeast British Ale 1098 and decided to pitch a second smack pack - Thames Valley 1275 - on Friday morning since SG was 1.062. Tasted the sample this morning when transferring to a Corny and it is already very tasty. Thanks for sharing this great recipe... I suspect I will be making this one again.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #460
HBrew71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Has anybody brewed this beer with London ESB Ale (W 1968) Yeast? How did it come out? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply