Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Common Room ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #421
MorningGloryBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

The general opinion of most folks around here is that secondaries aren't really necessary if you do an extended primary (2-4 weeks). Bottle condition for 2-3 weeks at room temperature.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #422
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

So I cracked the first one of these (it was bottled on 9/7) last night. It was carbonated enough, which was good. I posted earlier how I think a fruit fly got in and infected the batch (no idea how). Either that, or because I let it ferment WAY high for about 2 days and created that cidery taste. Anyway, it tastes pretty good, but has a slight Acetaldehyde note to it. I think I'll give it about a week and try it again. Hopefully that mellows out and all will be good!

Old 09-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #423
RoKozak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I brewed this as my first AG this weekend. Gravity and volume were dead on. 1.054 and ~5.5 gallons. I sparged with a little more than 3 gallons to get to ~6.5 gallons for my pre-boil volume.

One adjustment: I didn't notice until brew day that my LHBS gave me 2oz of Fuggles and only 1 oz of Goldings. Now I know to check before I leave. I ended up using 1oz of Goldings at 60 min, 1oz of Fuggles at 20 min and 1oz of Fuggles at 0 min. Oh well, might just be a Common Room Bitter now!

Did anyone else have an issue with mash temperature dropping a few degrees over the hour? I had read that sometimes when there isn't enough water volume, the temp can drop quicker. I also plan on warming my mash tun (rubberware cooler) for a bit longer next time. I don't think I did that long enough so it's probably brewer's error.

Other than that, I still haven't decided if I am going to try and dry hop this with centennial hops from my own backyard. I know that takes away from the "English" aspect of this brew. I'm also not so sure I trust my own hops, even though they dried well and smell delicious...

Old 10-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #424
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2688 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Looks like I'll be brewing up yet another KB recipe this weekend.. I have all these ingredients on hand, only I would be using the Edinburgh yeast strain. Also my MO is around 3L not 1.4 and I'm not wanting to go any darker with the brew so I'm not quite sure yet what I'm going to change there. I definitely want that whole quarter pound of dark crystal. Maybe I'll draw back on the medium crystal.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #425
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Looks like I'll be brewing up yet another KB recipe this weekend.. I have all these ingredients on hand, only I would be using the Edinburgh yeast strain. Also my MO is around 3L not 1.4 and I'm not wanting to go any darker with the brew so I'm not quite sure yet what I'm going to change there. I definitely want that whole quarter pound of dark crystal. Maybe I'll draw back on the medium crystal.
I've used maris otter, golden promise, plain old english pale ale malt and probably us 2-row at some point for this beer and the color has always been very similar. Without holding beer from one batch and another side-by-side I probably couldn't tell the difference. So I'd just keep the crystal the same and not worry about the color. Hope you like it!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #426
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI

I've used maris otter, golden promise, plain old english pale ale malt and probably us 2-row at some point for this beer and the color has always been very similar. Without holding beer from one batch and another side-by-side I probably couldn't tell the difference. So I'd just keep the crystal the same and not worry about the color. Hope you like it!
I think I will! I'll post back on how it turns out. So after brewing this several times, is there anything you would change? Or have you just stuck to this same recipe every time? Oh it's also the Scottish ale yeast I've got... I've been hooked on that stuff ever since brewing the 12.12.12

Old 10-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #427
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
I think I will! I'll post back on how it turns out. So after brewing this several times, is there anything you would change? Or have you just stuck to this same recipe every time? Oh it's also the Scottish ale yeast I've got... I've been hooked on that stuff ever since brewing the 12.12.12
I've screwed around with water chemistry but that hasn't made a huge amount of difference. The biggest thing I've been doing to make this recipe better is using liquid yeasts. Using S-04 as described in the original recipe makes a good beer, but I've found it is even better with liquid yeasts. I've never tried the scottish yeast in it, though I'm sure that would be good. Wy1969 makes a really good beer when I get it to attenuate enough.

By the way, what kind of flavors does that scottish yeast produce at warmer temps? Have you even tried it warmer? I've only ever used that yeast in the upper 50s range so I'd be interested in hearing what kind of flavors it puts out when done in the mid 60s or so.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #428
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI
By the way, what kind of flavors does that scottish yeast produce at warmer temps? Have you even tried it warmer? I've only ever used that yeast in the upper 50s range so I'd be interested in hearing what kind of flavors it puts out when done in the mid 60s or so.
That's all I've done with it too! BJCP allows medium-high levels of esters for the style, and Wyeast says up to 75 degrees so I think I'll go warmer and report back! Maybe around 70-72.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #429
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Pretty much textbook brew day today. OG 1.053, followed the malt bill and hopping schedule exactly and the beer was an absolutely gorgeous rich color. I had a pound of that British dark crystal but have never used it before, bought it on a whim with my last order. I love the color it provides, really unique kind of an orange reddish hue in the smaller quantity. I am definitely going to be using that grain more. Wort tasted malty and sticky sweet, the Golding hops were a brand new fresh pound I opened and I don't remember then smelling to rich and resinous before. This is going to be a real winner. Kind of wish I did 10 gallons. I'll post back when it's done.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #430
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Pretty much textbook brew day today. OG 1.053, followed the malt bill and hopping schedule exactly and the beer was an absolutely gorgeous rich color. I had a pound of that British dark crystal but have never used it before, bought it on a whim with my last order. I love the color it provides, really unique kind of an orange reddish hue in the smaller quantity. I am definitely going to be using that grain more. Wort tasted malty and sticky sweet, the Golding hops were a brand new fresh pound I opened and I don't remember then smelling to rich and resinous before. This is going to be a real winner. Kind of wish I did 10 gallons. I'll post back when it's done.
Glad it went so well! Please do report back. I'm very interested in hearing how that Scottish Ale is in this beer.

Quick Reply