Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Common Room ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #411
TheDocta16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just brewed up 5 gallons yesterday. Very excited to see how this turns out. Destroyed my previous efficiencies somehow and came out with 1.059 wort. Hopped exclusively with EKG (1.5 oz/5,4 AA @ 60, .25 oz at 20, .25 at flame out). The immersion only gets her down to about 75/80, so I set it in the swamp cooler for a few hrs to get the wort down to 65. Pitched with a 1 liter starter of wyeast 1318. I had put my starter in the fridge so I could decant. The yeast was super chunky when i pitched. Checked this morning and there is a decent little layer of krausen, but nothing crazy. Hopefully she'll kick into gear. Keeping wort at that temp in a swamp cooler is a pain in the arse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #412
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

I brewed up about 7 gallons of this on Sunday, hit the OG right on the head, pitched the S-04, and did a terrible job of controlling the ferm temp. It was up around 74 for about a full day. I really hope I didn't just ruin this whole batch. I surely won't be dumping it, but man, I wish I wouldn't have gone by the Fermentis temperature ranges. Reading a few comments further I found that people tend to hate S-04 above 65.

Happily though, I pulled a sample for a reading last night and the gravity is ~1.017 and the color is beautiful. Spot on with the picture. It does taste a little strange, with the raw wort flavor (still grainy, a bit hot from the alcohol) being noticable. Here's hoping another 2 weeks will do my failures some justice.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:48 AM   #413
DMartin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I finished carbing this batch a few weeks ago, it is now approaching 6 weeks in the bottle. The beer is uncharacteristically dark and sweet, almost like a Newcastle. Any ideas as to what I might have done wrong?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #414
jtmwhyte
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is my 7th AG brew and by far my best. It has chilled out to a nice clarity and had a perfect balance of hops to malt. Will be brewing doubles of this when I go to 10 gallons per batch.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #415
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMartin View Post
I finished carbing this batch a few weeks ago, it is now approaching 6 weeks in the bottle. The beer is uncharacteristically dark and sweet, almost like a Newcastle. Any ideas as to what I might have done wrong?
Did you go by the recipe exactly? I know you were talking about trying to average out the crystal malts and just use C80 or something. If you changed the malts that could be your problem.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 09-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #416
DMartin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I only changed the two crystals to C80, nothing more. It's at least as dark as your average Brown Ale, and twice as sweet. My wife loves it!

Old 09-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #417
RoKozak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Choosing this brew as my first AG brew here in the next week or so. Excited and a bit nervous to have a mashout on my first one. We'll see how this goes...

Old 09-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #418
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKozak View Post
Choosing this brew as my first AG brew here in the next week or so. Excited and a bit nervous to have a mashout on my first one. We'll see how this goes...
Nervous about a mashout? You mean a boil over? Just trying to help

Old 09-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #419
RoKozak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
Nervous about a mashout? You mean a boil over? Just trying to help
Hah, yeah, that too! Just a bit nervous about trying to raise the temperature of the mash to the appropriate level for 10 minutes. Cheers!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #420
RoKozak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One more thing. Since this is my first AG -- and I'm still learning -- Have any of you done a secondary fermentation for this? Also, how many days bottled?

This forum is fantastic. I've learned so much here in such a short amount of time. Thank you for all of you help!

Quick Reply