Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Common Room ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #401
SookeBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Ranged_Eskimo View Post
How long did you leave your 1969 for a D-Rest, and did you create a starter? Just curious as I was not able to draw a sample of my 1969 batch yet and didn't have the chance to make a starter before pitching.
Sorry for the late reply - been a busy summer!

I basically rested it for 3 days, I guess. Detected the diacetyl on day 3 and by day 6 it was gone. I never do a starter for smack-packs.

Overall, I found that that the 1968 did not attenuate enough and the beer, while tasty, is too sweet for my dry palate. I will still drink it, but this isn't the common-room quaffer I was expecting. It also bears noting that I was super-efficient in my mash and ended up with an OG of 1.059 and an FG of 1.016, for about 5.7% ABV.

Any suggestions for a different yeast to use next time? S-04 is not available in my local area as far as I know. Common dry yeasts around town are Nottingham and Windsor, and I can get any Wyeast strain also.
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Christmas Ale
Planning: Unicorn IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #402
DMartin
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

S-04 is available at most online HBSs. I imagine the shipping for a few packets of dry yeast is pretty inexpensive, even crossing the border.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #403
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMartin View Post
S-04 is available at most online HBSs. I imagine the shipping for a few packets of dry yeast is pretty inexpensive, even crossing the border.
Very true. Still, if Windsor is readily available, would it be that different? I've never used it but my impression was that it wasn't too far off from S-04. Please do correct if wrong.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #404
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SookeBrewing View Post
Sorry for the late reply - been a busy summer!

I basically rested it for 3 days, I guess. Detected the diacetyl on day 3 and by day 6 it was gone. I never do a starter for smack-packs.

Overall, I found that that the 1968 did not attenuate enough and the beer, while tasty, is too sweet for my dry palate. I will still drink it, but this isn't the common-room quaffer I was expecting. It also bears noting that I was super-efficient in my mash and ended up with an OG of 1.059 and an FG of 1.016, for about 5.7% ABV.

Any suggestions for a different yeast to use next time? S-04 is not available in my local area as far as I know. Common dry yeasts around town are Nottingham and Windsor, and I can get any Wyeast strain also.
Thanks for the information. Actually, the 1968 made an outstanding Common Room. I'm at work at the moment and don't have my notes, but it fermented down to the 1.014 range with close to 5% ABV (it's a very sessionable beer) and a very good balance of malt flavor with a hop finish. Out of the three batches of Common room made thus far, it is by far the best.

The other batch made with S-04, which was pitched with 2 packets, came out with too much diacetyl and an over the top buttery flavor. It's been resting in the keg at room temp for a few days in an attempt to let the residual yeast try and do something, but I'm not certain it will.

As far as other yeast options, I've had great success with 1318, although with your statement about a dry palate, it wouldn't be the best choice for you. I haven't used it on the Common Room, but used with my brown ale and a pale ale, it left a residual sweetness with slight fruity esters, but it seems to mute the hop aromas a bit.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #405
jtmwhyte
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this one a couple of weeks back, and S-04 is a BEAST. It ripped through in 2 days. I went to keg after 16 days (poor planning) and when I opened the fermenter I could see nearly all the way through to 3 gallon mark on the bucket. Went to keg over the weekend at 30PSI (24 hours) and am letting it chill at 12PSI for a bit before pulling a pint.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #406
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmwhyte View Post
I brewed this one a couple of weeks back, and S-04 is a BEAST. It ripped through in 2 days. I went to keg after 16 days (poor planning) and when I opened the fermenter I could see nearly all the way through to 3 gallon mark on the bucket. Went to keg over the weekend at 30PSI (24 hours) and am letting it chill at 12PSI for a bit before pulling a pint.
I had the same experience, S-04 ferments really fast and clean but its taken a while to start tasting good after I kegged it.

I kegged after three weeks then let it carb up for almost a week and it was not good when sampled. Now it has been almost 6 weeks since brewing this up and its starting to get good. I was told S-04 takes longer to condition compared to liquid yeasts and that seems to be the case.

Let me know how yours tastes at first

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 08-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #407
jtmwhyte
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11

I had the same experience, S-04 ferments really fast and clean but its taken a while to start tasting good after I kegged it.

I kegged after three weeks then let it carb up for almost a week and it was not good when sampled. Now it has been almost 6 weeks since brewing this up and its starting to get good. I was told S-04 takes longer to condition compared to liquid yeasts and that seems to be the case.

Let me know how yours tastes at first
I just pulled a pint on day 20 since brew day and it tastes great. It is lacking a bit of that malty esb character, but its tasty.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #408
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Alright, I think the beer has progressed very well and is only getting better. The sourness I had at first has given way to all of the characteristics that are supposed to be present in this ESB. If it keeps getting better, this will be a staple on tap at my house. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 08-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #409
sethcros
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts

I got my first batch of this fermenting away right now. I am so excited for it. It was mt first all grain attempt and it was rough...I think the beer will turn out though! I'm going to give it a go again sometime now that I have my mash tun situation worked out.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #410
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethcros View Post
I got my first batch of this fermenting away right now. I am so excited for it. It was mt first all grain attempt and it was rough...I think the beer will turn out though! I'm going to give it a go again sometime now that I have my mash tun situation worked out.
Don't worry, the ones you screw up usually turn out the best!

My first try with this recipe resulted in 3 stuck sparges (2nd all grain attempt) and turned out to be fantastic. Good luck, AG is very rewarding when you figure your system out.

Quick Reply