Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Common Room ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #391
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SookeBrewing View Post
Yeast is fascinating stuff.

I taste-tested this beer about 3 days into fermentation and while it tasted pretty good, the back-end of it was all diacetyl - it tasted like I chewed half a stick of fake butter! I tasted it again yesterday (6 days into fermentation) and all the diacetyl was gone.

The profile of the 1969 London Bitter yeast I used said to expect a diacetyl rest, so it wasn't unexpected, but I've just never noticed it to that degree before!
How long did you leave your 1969 for a D-Rest, and did you create a starter? Just curious as I was not able to draw a sample of my 1969 batch yet and didn't have the chance to make a starter before pitching.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #392
barhoc11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just kegged this after 3 weeks in primary and all I can say is that it smells amazing. I am planning to let it condition in the keg outside of my keezer for a week or as long as I can stand it but what is the earliest people are drinking this?

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 07-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #393
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
I just kegged this after 3 weeks in primary and all I can say is that it smells amazing. I am planning to let it condition in the keg outside of my keezer for a week or as long as I can stand it but what is the earliest people are drinking this?
When I've made it with liquid yeasts, I start drinking it a week after kegging (it spends the week in the kegerator getting carbed). I found that with s-04 it takes a bit longer to smooth out. What yeast did you use?

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 07-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #394
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
When I've made it with liquid yeasts, I start drinking it a week after kegging (it spends the week in the kegerator getting carbed). I found that with s-04 it takes a bit longer to smooth out. What yeast did you use?
I used the s-04 per the directions so it sounds like it might take me a bit longer to get conditioned best. How long would you guess it takes to condition? After 3 weeks in the primary, I kegged it on Friday and just today I put it into the keezer on gas. I guess I could always just wait and see but it would be good to know from those with experience. I have a feeling this is going to be a staple in my keezer. Thanks

Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #395
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
I used the s-04 per the directions so it sounds like it might take me a bit longer to get conditioned best. How long would you guess it takes to condition? After 3 weeks in the primary, I kegged it on Friday and just today I put it into the keezer on gas. I guess I could always just wait and see but it would be good to know from those with experience. I have a feeling this is going to be a staple in my keezer. Thanks
Give it a taste in a week. It may be great at that point, or you may feel like it needs a little longer to come together. If I remember correctly, my last batch using s-04 needed between 2-3 weeks in the keg before I thought everything had melded adequately.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #396
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Give it a taste in a week. It may be great at that point, or you may feel like it needs a little longer to come together. If I remember correctly, my last batch using s-04 needed between 2-3 weeks in the keg before I thought everything had melded adequately.
It looks like using the dry yeast means I am going to let it sit longer, I am getting a bit of sourness as it stands right now.

Since I can't get a feel for how it should taste, can anyone describe what I should be tasting once this sourness goes away? I was expecting more malt but it tastes similar to an Irish Red I made last year, is that normal?

Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 08-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #397
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
It looks like using the dry yeast means I am going to let it sit longer, I am getting a bit of sourness as it stands right now.

Since I can't get a feel for how it should taste, can anyone describe what I should be tasting once this sourness goes away? I was expecting more malt but it tastes similar to an Irish Red I made last year, is that normal?
It should be dry but malty. The malt character should be rich with toasty and toffee flavors dominating. Hints of dark fruits, burnt sugar, and roasted grain should also be present. There should also be an obvious hop flavor and light aroma from the EKG and fuggles. Does that sound like what you're tasting?

Old 08-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #398
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
It should be dry but malty. The malt character should be rich with toasty and toffee flavors dominating. Hints of dark fruits, burnt sugar, and roasted grain should also be present. There should also be an obvious hop flavor and light aroma from the EKG and fuggles. Does that sound like what you're tasting?
I guess those flavors are there, just not well melded together yet. I made the recipe almost identical to your original but added half a pound of biscuit malt to add some toastiness.

Sorry for all the questions, I am just going to let it condition in the keezer and let things worth themselves out. I think I am just rushing things since everyone else has had such success with this and my batch had no issues when I made it so it has to turn out well.

Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 08-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #399
02andYou
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think it 's about time I made this...

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.-Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #400
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I guess those flavors are there, just not well melded together yet. I made the recipe almost identical to your original but added half a pound of biscuit malt to add some toastiness.

Sorry for all the questions, I am just going to let it condition in the keezer and let things worth themselves out. I think I am just rushing things since everyone else has had such success with this and my batch had no issues when I made it so it has to turn out well.
Well I took another sample yesterday and its amazing how the flavor has changed. I have never had a beer change so much in such a short time. Gone is the sourness and I am picking up more maltiness along with some of the other things I should have tasted.

If this keeps progressing it is going to be a solid beer. Thanks for the help with this and recipe.

Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Quick Reply