Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Common Room ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #361
Kaotica
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I brewed this today, but it was my first full blown batch on my all-grain equipment. I lost 1.5 gal during boil and wound up with 5 gal at 072 gravity. O.o I added some bottled water and got FG to 1.055. Otherwise it was a nice smooth day and I'm looking forward to a new brew. Thanks for the recipe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #362
fenners
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenners View Post
Brew done!

Grains steeped, 0.5oz of EKG as FWH, did 1/3 of the 7.5lbs for the 60 minute boil with the rest at 15m. OG was ~1.057 it looked like. Using WLP005 with a nice looking starter.

I used all East Kent Golding as that's what I had handy Need to buy some Fuggles as I like my EPA/ESBs...
Moved this to secondary tonight to let it clear up a little (and because I don't have an empty keg yet!). FG is a little higher than I expected, 1.012. It looked nice, sample tasted a little thin, but can live with it as a session beer.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #363
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Kegged mine on Friday night. Finished at 1.016 which is great. I wanted a higher FG for some residual sweetness.

It's a great tasting session beer, especially when it starts to get warmer down here!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #364
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Something a lot of people forget (or never learned in the first place) is that the long-chain unfermentable sugars are not sweet. A beer that finishes at 1.020, but that has no more fermentable sugars left should not taste overly sweet. That's why I suggested the bitterness as a cause for your impression of high sweetness. If temp fluctuation occured though, that could be the problem. And it isn't always as simple as warming the temp back up and the yeast start up again. If they became unhappy for some reason, they may have just called it quits early, and no amount of warming will convince them otherwise.
Just to update you on this one, it did end up coming down to 1.016 after the extra 6 days after I dumped it back in the fermenter. I tasted it this weekend after 1 week in the bottle and the sweetness has come down too. It still has a little sweetness but tastes quite decent. So far I haven't noticed any funky tastes from the oxidation, so I hope it will stay that way for awhile.

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Old 03-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #365
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just an update, had a few people over to taste a couple of the brews on tap, and we might have killed over half of this keg in one night. People couldn't get enough of it. Thanks again for the recipe KingBrian. After 6 weeks, this beer is outstanding and will be brewed again.

I'm slowly reading through your thread on British ale yeasts and proper fermentation techniques for them and am hoping to replicate this but take any information provided in there to make it better!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #366
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Ranged_Eskimo View Post
Just an update, had a few people over to taste a couple of the brews on tap, and we might have killed over half of this keg in one night. People couldn't get enough of it. Thanks again for the recipe KingBrian. After 6 weeks, this beer is outstanding and will be brewed again.

I'm slowly reading through your thread on British ale yeasts and proper fermentation techniques for them and am hoping to replicate this but take any information provided in there to make it better!
Awesome, glad you guys enjoyed it!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 04-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #367
fenners
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As I kicked my keg of Amber Ale last night, it's time to keg my CommonRoom ESB to replace it Been sitting in a secondary for a week to let it clear up - tons of trub in the secondary. Looking forward to tasting it soon!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 AM   #368
fenners
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenners View Post
As I kicked my keg of Amber Ale last night, it's time to keg my CommonRoom ESB to replace it Been sitting in a secondary for a week to let it clear up - tons of trub in the secondary. Looking forward to tasting it soon!
Kegged & on tap It needs to carb, obviously, but my quick taste test (flushing the tubes, honest!) was nice - colour is a little thin/lighter than I expected, but it's got a nice straightforward classic "english bitter" taste, just like I wanted.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #369
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

I've been drinking this for a few days now. Only been about two weeks in the keg but it is carbed pretty good. Very smooth and easy drinking. My first impression was that it was not as hoppy as I expected. I also didn't have much hop aroma. This is my first time using EKG and Fuggles so maybe I'm just not used to them. Anyway, I had 3/4 ounce of both cascade and centennial laying around so I decided to throw those in the keg. Mainly just hoping to boost the aroma a little. Overall very good though, very balanced beer.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #370
fenners
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, it is an ESB - "bitters" aren't particularly hoppy as a style.

Quick Reply