Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Common Room ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #351
j1rubin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
oops! Just finished brewing this one and got better efficiency than I expected. Ended up at 1.060. I normally get 72% but it bumped up to 76%, probably because I dialed in my water and used some acid malt. Either way, everything went smooth and the color looks amazing. Can't wait to try it!
awesome - mine is going nuts right now in the fermentor. had to attach a blowoff tube this morning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #352
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started with a blow off just in case. It's chugging away like a champ this morning.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #353
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 164

KB, what do you think about using 1768 Scottish Ale yeast for your recipe?

Old 03-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #354
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmason1623 View Post
KB, what do you think about using 1768 Scottish Ale yeast for your recipe?
Hmm, I guess it depends on your intention. When fermented cool like usual, the Scottish yeast won't produce enough esters and malt flavors for me in an ESB. If you would like a cleaner ESB, go for it though. I'm not familiar with the flavors it produces at normal ale temps.

If you were intending to produce more of a scottish ale with this recipe, the hops are a bit heavy. By moving the FWH to a 60 minute addition and dropping the late hops, it would make a pretty good scottish style ale.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 03-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #355
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

What is the typical turn around time for this beer? I would think since it uses a high floc yeast it would be ready to keg after a two week primary.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:57 AM   #356
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

What kind of FGs are people hitting with this recipe? Looks like mine ended at 1.020 and is sickly sweet. I discovered this while bottling and freaked out that it wasn't done and thought that I might have bottle bombs. My reaction compounded my mistake and may have ruined the batch (see this thread). My first time using S04. I've gathered that S04 has a lower attenuation than my usual US05 but I wasn't expecting this. Anyone else end up with sweet beer?

Blogging about my home brewing experiences at BrewinMyOwn.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Old 03-15-2012, 04:26 AM   #357
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Hey Aidan, sorry to hear about your trouble with the recipe. The lower than expected attenuation could be due to a number of factors, many of which were covered on the other thread. I'll also submit a few more ideas including insufficient aeration of the wort before pitching, temperature shock to the yeast when pitching, temperature fluctuations in the primary, an old or improperly stored package of yeast, etc. As you can see, it will probably be hard to narrow the cause down to one thing. S04 is a more flocculative yeast than us05 and if submitted to a sudden drop in temperature, the yeast will sometimes have the tendency to drop out of suspension and stop fermenting. That the gravity hasn't changed since pouring the bottles back into the fermenter (even after being subjected to oxygenation and given a snack of priming sugar) leads me to believe that the beer is done fermenting (whether due to unfermentable sugars or tired and unhealthy yeast). Definitely don't dump the beer. I wouldn't be as worried about oxidation of the beer as much as the possibility bacteria or mold was introduced in the process of pouring the beer back into the fermenter. If the gravity hasn't moved when you next check it, I'd say bottle it back up and hope for the best.

PS. Did you adjust the hopping rates based on your process? For instance, upping the bittering hops if you did a partial boil, etc? A low bitterness could lead to the impression of an overly-sweet beer.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #358
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Hey Aidan, sorry to hear about your trouble with the recipe. The lower than expected attenuation could be due to a number of factors, many of which were covered on the other thread. I'll also submit a few more ideas including insufficient aeration of the wort before pitching, temperature shock to the yeast when pitching, temperature fluctuations in the primary, an old or improperly stored package of yeast, etc. As you can see, it will probably be hard to narrow the cause down to one thing. S04 is a more flocculative yeast than us05 and if submitted to a sudden drop in temperature, the yeast will sometimes have the tendency to drop out of suspension and stop fermenting. That the gravity hasn't changed since pouring the bottles back into the fermenter (even after being subjected to oxygenation and given a snack of priming sugar) leads me to believe that the beer is done fermenting (whether due to unfermentable sugars or tired and unhealthy yeast). Definitely don't dump the beer. I wouldn't be as worried about oxidation of the beer as much as the possibility bacteria or mold was introduced in the process of pouring the beer back into the fermenter. If the gravity hasn't moved when you next check it, I'd say bottle it back up and hope for the best.

PS. Did you adjust the hopping rates based on your process? For instance, upping the bittering hops if you did a partial boil, etc? A low bitterness could lead to the impression of an overly-sweet beer.
The measured FG of 1.020 matches the sweetness so I'm quite sure it's not lack of bitterness but that all the sugars that should have fermented out didn't. Of your ideas on the cause of the lower attenuation, the only one that rings a bell is the temp flucuation issue. I normally brew in a fridge and keep temp pretty tight but fridge was taken up with another brew in my main fermentor. This 2nd fermentor that I only use when I have 2 batches on the go at the same time didn't even have a temp strip so I was operating a bit blind on temp. I had my fermenter insulated with a towel and a jacket and used a few ice packs to help keep the temp around 18C (but it was guesswork since I didn't have a temp strip). So temp flucuation is a posibility. However I would have expected the yeast to go back into action when the temp is right.

Blogging about my home brewing experiences at BrewinMyOwn.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #359
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Something a lot of people forget (or never learned in the first place) is that the long-chain unfermentable sugars are not sweet. A beer that finishes at 1.020, but that has no more fermentable sugars left should not taste overly sweet. That's why I suggested the bitterness as a cause for your impression of high sweetness. If temp fluctuation occured though, that could be the problem. And it isn't always as simple as warming the temp back up and the yeast start up again. If they became unhappy for some reason, they may have just called it quits early, and no amount of warming will convince them otherwise.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #360
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

kegged mine today. Taste test was really good!

Quick Reply