Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Common Room ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #341
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsonLE View Post
So I brewed this beer a week ago, and fermentation started 12 hours after pitching, and then 24 hours after that it was done and had an FG of 1.013 (safale 04 is insane). However, I just sampled my ESB, and I've got to say I'm really disappointed. I think I'm tasting a fusel alcohol off flavor, and I have no freaking clue how this happened. I fermented at 63-67 degrees, I think maybe at one point it got up to 70 degrees, but isn't that okay? The only mistake I can think I did was pitching the yeast when the yeast was too warm, however I did cool my wort all the way down to 68.

I hope this off flavor disappears after sitting in the fermenter for another two weeks, but I have a feeling this off flavor isn't going to go away, and if so I'm going to have to dump it .
I know this isn't that helpful, but really, a week is so little time... check again at three weeks, or even wait four, and then see where it's at. Usually works out for me.

Though it's worth asking: was the 70F the ambient temp or the actual beer temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #342
LarsonLE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by borden View Post
I know this isn't that helpful, but really, a week is so little time... check again at three weeks, or even wait four, and then see where it's at. Usually works out for me.

Though it's worth asking: was the 70F the ambient temp or the actual beer temp?
70 degrees was the highest it got on the fermometer

Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #343
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsonLE View Post
70 degrees was the highest it got on the fermometer
I brewed this one several months back. Not sure if I recall the same flavor you are describing, but this one took quite a while before it started tasting really good. Mine had an unpleasant, lingering bitterness for almost six weeks after I bottled it. I'm down to my last six pack now and it tastes great. Fairly dry, but you can pick up on all the malt flavor. The bitterness has mellowed now as well.

Hope yours turns out! I suspect it will given enough time.

-Dave

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 03-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #344
SpudMurphy
Recipes 

Brewed this on Sunday - it was my first all grain batch. Dead happy with how it went - all according to plan - what a relief!! Anyway, stuck it in the fermentor with an OG of 1.05? (couldn't quite get the last digit and was nervous about potential contamination, so I thought 2 decimal places would do, and I closed the lid...). After 2 days the airlock stopped bubbling - seems like a good, quick fermentation with the S-04. Temp was steady around 18-19 C (Irish here - don't do your funny/imperial units :P).

Just wondering at what stage you recommend transferring to a secondary (or, is it even necessary)? Primary is a plastic bucket, have a 23 L glass carboy as a potential secondary. Batch yield was 21 L - little lower than expected but sure no matter. I guess the question here is does the 2L airspace in the carboy pose a threat with regards oxidation of my brew?

Cheers,

Spud

Old 03-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #345
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudMurphy View Post
Brewed this on Sunday - it was my first all grain batch. Dead happy with how it went - all according to plan - what a relief!! Anyway, stuck it in the fermentor with an OG of 1.05? (couldn't quite get the last digit and was nervous about potential contamination, so I thought 2 decimal places would do, and I closed the lid...). After 2 days the airlock stopped bubbling - seems like a good, quick fermentation with the S-04. Temp was steady around 18-19 C (Irish here - don't do your funny/imperial units :P).

Just wondering at what stage you recommend transferring to a secondary (or, is it even necessary)? Primary is a plastic bucket, have a 23 L glass carboy as a potential secondary. Batch yield was 21 L - little lower than expected but sure no matter. I guess the question here is does the 2L airspace in the carboy pose a threat with regards oxidation of my brew?

Cheers,

Spud
Secondary is not necessary but you can use one if you like. As for when to transfer it to secondary/serving vessel, I recommend tasting the beer. If it tastes good and the gravity has stopped dropping, I say go ahead and transfer. If there are any unpleasant fermentation byproducts still present in the flavor (large amounts of diacetyl, a sulfurous quality, etc.) or the gravity has not quite stopped dropping, then leave it in the primary for another day or two then taste again. I've found this is the key to producing flavorful ales. If left in the primary too long, the yeast will clean it up too much and a lot of the esters and malt flavors reduce more than I like in bitters.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 03-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #346
Graeme
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudMurphy View Post

Cheers,

Spud
Did you take the OG before you transferred it to the primary fermenter? How come you couldn't get the last two digits? I almost never secondary. A beer like this definitely doesn't require it. Personally I would leave this in the primary for three weeks before bottling it. The airspace in the fermenter poses no threat what so ever as there is a blanket of co2 covering the beer from fermentation. The oxidiation worries only really begin with what you do with it after fermentation, ie: transferring to secondary and at bottling.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #347
SpudMurphy
Recipes 

Took the OG just before pitching the yeast - there was a bit of froth / material on the surface which obscured the graduations on the hydrometer somewhat. If I was to hazard a guess I would say it was between 1.052 and 1.055.

It was the airspace in the secondary fermenter I was referring to - I was just wondering if the 2L headspace would be something to be concerned about, given that I have no CO2 to purge it with. If the secondary fermentation isn't essential (other than that which will occur after bottling) I'd be happy enough to leave it as is in the primary where there is no threat of oxidation.

Sure I'll proceed as is for the three weeks and have a taste.

Looking forward to it. I'll be bottling on St. Paddys day at this rate!

Old 03-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #348
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Brewing this tonight, finally. My yeast starter is very active right now so I am trying to give it more time.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #349
j1rubin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

just brewed this - hit 1.050 - looks pretty tasty

Old 03-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #350
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

oops! Just finished brewing this one and got better efficiency than I expected. Ended up at 1.060. I normally get 72% but it bumped up to 76%, probably because I dialed in my water and used some acid malt. Either way, everything went smooth and the color looks amazing. Can't wait to try it!

Quick Reply