Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Common Room ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #331
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Ranged_Eskimo View Post
Hey king, are you using Crystal 40L and 120L American, or are you able to find UK style grains for the Crystal?
I always use british malts for my british beers. American crystal malts will work, but they don't taste quite the same. I suggest anyone making this recipe use british crystal as a first option, but if they are unavailable, the american crystal malts can be substituted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenners View Post
I'm using a 5gallon pot, usually mashing about 2 1/2 pounds of grain. So far, it's all been kits from AHS (my local store) so this is breaking new ground for
me

Crisp Maris Otter 10 lbs, 0 oz
Crisp Crystal Malt 60L 0 lbs, 12 oz
Crisp Crystal Malt 120L 0 lbs, 4 oz

So, 1lb for the malt, maybe 2 pounds of Maris Otter, leaving 7lb of LME? I'll be using LME as I can get it nice & fresh from AHS in-store. "Extra Pale" work?

I haven't done First Wort Hops... Another new step
If you can mash 2.5 lbs, then I'd mash 1.5 lbs maris otter with the crystal, and add 6 lbs 6 oz of the extra pale LME to the boil.

The 1.5 lbs of maris otter really isn't going to add much though, so you can also just steep the crystal malts and add 7.5 lbs LME.

Either way will make good beer.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #332
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey Fenners, going to brew this beer this weekend. We should make a trade when our beers are done and see what the differences in taste are. I'm about an hour and half south of ya in northern SA/Bulverde.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #333
fenners
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
If you can mash 2.5 lbs, then I'd mash 1.5 lbs maris otter with the crystal, and add 6 lbs 6 oz of the extra pale LME to the boil.

The 1.5 lbs of maris otter really isn't going to add much though, so you can also just steep the crystal malts and add 7.5 lbs LME.

Either way will make good beer.
Yeah, I might just go with the steep. A little more money for the extra extract, but a simpler brew.

Quote:
Hey Fenners, going to brew this beer this weekend. We should make a trade when our beers are done and see what the differences in taste are. I'm about an hour and half south of ya in northern SA/Bulverde.
That might just work You doing an all-grain?

Old 02-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #334
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenners View Post
That might just work You doing an all-grain?
Yeah, second all-grain here. I wanted something with a simple grain bill. Tried a wheat on the first one, and well, it looked like cream of wheat when I got done!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #335
fenners
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Grabbed my grain, LME & yeasties from AHS yesterday. Love having that place so close to work... Will get my starter going tomorrow ahead of brewing it on Monday.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #336
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Recipes 

What a nightmare!!! I had 3 stuck sparges over the weekend, but I think I finally got my false bottom set up correctly now. 3rd times the charm I suppose. I ended up mashing around 156 (a little high but hopefully didn't create too many complex sugars) and used 11# MO. The LHBS had medium and dark british grains, so that was a plus. OG came out to 1.054, but i used 1 oz first gold since they didn't have any EKG. She was bubbling away this morning, so we will see how it comes out.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #337
fenners
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brew done!

Grains steeped, 0.5oz of EKG as FWH, did 1/3 of the 7.5lbs for the 60 minute boil with the rest at 15m. OG was ~1.057 it looked like. Using WLP005 with a nice looking starter.

I used all East Kent Golding as that's what I had handy Need to buy some Fuggles as I like my EPA/ESBs...

Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #338
brew2enjoy
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts

Picked up the ingredients for this one yesterday. My LHBS had UK pale malt but only US crystal malt so I had to go that route. Looking forward to brewing this next weekend. This will be my first attempt using washed yeast. I will be using WLP007 Dry English Ale. Since it attenuates slightly higher than WLP002 should I mash higher to compensate for that?

Old 02-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #339
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
Picked up the ingredients for this one yesterday. My LHBS had UK pale malt but only US crystal malt so I had to go that route. Looking forward to brewing this next weekend. This will be my first attempt using washed yeast. I will be using WLP007 Dry English Ale. Since it attenuates slightly higher than WLP002 should I mash higher to compensate for that?
No, I think 154 will be perfect. Good luck!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #340
LarsonLE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So I brewed this beer a week ago, and fermentation started 12 hours after pitching, and then 24 hours after that it was done and had an FG of 1.013 (safale 04 is insane). However, I just sampled my ESB, and I've got to say I'm really disappointed. I think I'm tasting a fusel alcohol off flavor, and I have no freaking clue how this happened. I fermented at 63-67 degrees, I think maybe at one point it got up to 70 degrees, but isn't that okay? The only mistake I can think I did was pitching the yeast when the yeast was too warm, however I did cool my wort all the way down to 68.

I hope this off flavor disappears after sitting in the fermenter for another two weeks, but I have a feeling this off flavor isn't going to go away, and if so I'm going to have to dump it .

Quick Reply