Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Common Room ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #21
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you search for the characteritics of a particular malt, you'll usually find suggestions on the maximum amount to add before it becomes overbearing. For instance, crystal malts should usually be limited to 10% of the overall grain bill. Four to eight ounces of biscuit or victory malt could be added to recipe to give it that nutty, toasted flavor without becoming overwhelming. If you have beersmith or some other recipe calculator, you can enter in whatever additions you'd like to add and it will show you the color as well as how it compares to the style you're aiming for. If you don't have brewing software, I like TastyBrew.com | Recipe Calculation to calculate recipes when I'm on a computer without beersmith.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #22
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hate to revive an old thread, but I brewed this yesterday, and I must say it was the best brew session I've ever had. I did mess up on the crystal malts, using half a pound of each instead of .25 & .75, so it'll be a little darker.

Also, S-04 is a monster! After 4 hours I had to change the airlock (twice), then attach a blow-off hose. And the huge chunks of yeast rolling around the wort is insane! It's not pretty, but it's pretty darn cool.

On-Deck:

Primary: Pumpkin Saison; Common Perry

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 04-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #23
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Glad it went well for you! S-04 is indeed voracious. I've had it ferment a beer out in 2 days before. Let it sit for 3 weeks though so it can clean up the beer. Keep us updated!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:18 AM   #24
gplutt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed this today. I used some biscuit malt, mashed a bit hotter (156), and used Wyeast 1275(Thames Valley). If if it tastes 1/2 as good as that picture looks, then this may become a staple, here. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Edit: I subbed the Fuggles out for Willamette, too. I had about 1/2 pound of Willamette already.

Kegged: Stout

Barrelled: Oregon Group Brew Stout
Long term Secondary: Fool's Gold Barleywine
Next: Bohemian Pilsener

Last edited by gplutt; 04-05-2009 at 02:21 AM.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:24 AM   #25
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplutt View Post
Brewed this today. I used some biscuit malt, mashed a bit hotter (156), and used Wyeast 1275(Thames Valley). If if it tastes 1/2 as good as that picture looks, then this may become a staple, here. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Edit: I subbed the Fuggles out for Willamette, too. I had about 1/2 pound of Willamette already.
Sounds good! How much biscuit did you use? Thames Valley is a good attenuator so mashing hotter was a good idea. I have problems getting that yeast to clear though. Guess I should use isinglass or gelatin with it. Anyway, hope it turns out great!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:36 AM   #26
gplutt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

4 oz biscuit malt. I heard that 1275 doesn't clear very well(whenever I see -med low floc I cry a little), so I'll probably fine it with isinglass and crash cool it in a secondary.

Kegged: Stout

Barrelled: Oregon Group Brew Stout
Long term Secondary: Fool's Gold Barleywine
Next: Bohemian Pilsener

Old 04-05-2009, 02:47 AM   #27
KingBrianI
Recipes 

4 oz biscuit should be perfect! I've gone straight from primary to a keg with 1275 several times, then cooled to serving temps and it seems like the first 1/3 of the keg is always cloudy. If you fine before kegging, you'll probably prevent that.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:26 AM   #28
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

just want to make sure i understand the first wort hopping and the hops at flameout.

First wort hopping is just throwing the hops in after my first runnings from the MLT, right? Do i need to remove them after i start the boil or do they stay in?

How long do i leave the hops in after flame out? Until i reach pitching temps?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #29
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donner View Post
just want to make sure i understand the first wort hopping and the hops at flameout.

First wort hopping is just throwing the hops in after my first runnings from the MLT, right? Do i need to remove them after i start the boil or do they stay in?

How long do i leave the hops in after flame out? Until i reach pitching temps?
You've got the right idea. Put the FWH addition hops in your kettle and drain the first runnings right on top. Leave them in there for the rest of the boil and remove them at the same time you would always remove hops, either whirlpooling the cooled wort or filtering when transferring to the carboy.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:00 AM   #30
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This may be another dumb question, but i just want to make sure i understand. DO you start heating your wort with the hops added as soon as you collect your first runnings? I see that the FWH is listed as 60 min, as well. Or does that just indicate you leave it in for the whole 60 minute boil?

Quick Reply