Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Common Room ESB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 02:43 AM   #11
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Laughing Gnome, I got spoiled on good english ale when I took a trip to the UK earlier this year. Since then, I can't seem to have enough of the stuff. I can't imagine how bad the craving would be if I was from the UK! I hope you find the flavor of this ESB to match the color and head in authenticity. If you don't plan on going AG for a while, you could probably subsititute some malt extract (maris otter extract if possible!) for the pale malt and steep the crystal grains for an extract version.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2008, 03:04 AM   #12
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 415 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Laughing Gnome, I got spoiled on good english ale when I took a trip to the UK earlier this year. Since then, I can't seem to have enough of the stuff. I can't imagine how bad the craving would be if I was from the UK! I hope you find the flavor of this ESB to match the color and head in authenticity. If you don't plan on going AG for a while, you could probably subsititute some malt extract (maris otter extract if possible!) for the pale malt and steep the crystal grains for an extract version.
Actually, I will need to order more extract before I have the gear to go AG, so I will certainly try to do that! I would hope that the AG version would be a bit better if I manage to get it rightish first time, but if not, it would still be an interesting comparison. I like the idea of making comparable brews during my switchover.

PS You are right about the craving. Missing my regular pint is what drove me to the HB obsession.....The commercially bottled and canned versions of what I am used to drinking are a pale comparison to even my worst HB attempt.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:44 AM   #13
shertz
Recipes 

"It is named for the fact that I can easily imagine a beer very similar to this being drunk in large tankards in the common room of inns by weary travellers in your favorite fantasy novel. Whether washing down a roasted chicken or being enjoyed by itself with friends, I hope you get similar feelings when drinking this ale."

I love the sound of that, reminds me of The Lord of the Rings or something. I'm brewing an ESB next weekend, extract mind you, and using C-40 and C-120 with Munton's light LME and DME and EKG. Had Fuller's ESB last nite and it was sooo tasty. Cheers.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
newguy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I'm heating up my water for my mash right now! I'm super stoked! I took a extended break from brewing due to my job and having no time or energy to brew. So it's a great feeling getting rdy to dough in again!!

Wish my digh cam wasn't ruined at the last lake trip.... Or I would post some pics for you guys.

--I Brew Therefore I am...-

In the Works: Common room ESB--(AG) Belgian Wit---(EXT)

Meadery: Grape apple mesquite cyser

On Tap: Common Room E.S.B.-----Belgin Wit

Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
newguy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well everything went well! Only issue was a drop in temp during the mash due to the fact the I think I didn't heat up my MLT enough. No big deal though as it was only a few degrees and it was only at the last 20 minutes of the mash. It's going well this morning with great airlock activity. Smells sweet and delicious!

Let you know how it tastes in a month or so!

Cheers,

Old 11-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #16
newguy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

UPDATE

So just wanted to let you know how it turned out, wish I hadn't dunked my dig camera in the lake last trip or I would post a pic.

So it turned out great. Simple recipe, good very quaffable beer. I really can't point out any flaws. Good simple great tasting beer! I will add that I changed your recipe by just a bit. By adding some biscuit malt and I believe I used a couple different crystal malts than your original recipe. Mine looks a lot like your although in your pic, your beer seems to have a bit more of a reddish tone to it. Mine is more of a medium copper.

I would recommend the recipe its good for simplicity and good on the wallet. I believe I did this batch for less than $25 bucks.

Cheers,

Old 11-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #17
KingBrianI
Recipes 

newguy, thats great! im glad it came out well for you. enjoy it!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #18
shagington
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have never brewed an ESB, but the desire is growing inside me to brew one. This recipe looks great. I wanted to know, would aromatic malt be a good addition to this recipe? Also, for head retention and body, would dexterin malt need to be added?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #19
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagington View Post
I have never brewed an ESB, but the desire is growing inside me to brew one. This recipe looks great. I wanted to know, would aromatic malt be a good addition to this recipe? Also, for head retention and body, would dexterin malt need to be added?
Adding aromatic and dextrin malt (carapils) wouldn't hurt the beer at all. The aromatic would give it a bit more maltiness. They would take the recipe away from being simple and traditional though. The aromatic isn't a traditional english malt and the carapils isn't necessary. The mouthfeel is already good when mashed at 154. Head retention is very similar to that of traditional ESBs as it is now. It pours with about a half inch head that dissipates to form a nice thin foam just on the top of the beer that lasts all the way to the bottom of the glass. Having said that, feel free to change the recipe any way you want, that's half the fun of brewing!

Old 12-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #20
shagington
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The recipe looks great, so I wouldn't think about changing it. I guess I was just inquiring about how different malts might alter the ESB. I understand that Biscuit malt would give a toasty bready taste, or Victory malt might give that warm nutty characteristic. I guess my final question would be proportions of the extra malt like biscuit or victory. At which point do you know you've proportioned it out enough not to overdue it in a recipe? At which point do you know you haven't add too much and turned it into a brown ale?

Quick Reply