Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Captain Hooked on Bitters (Red Hook Clone & Award Winner)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #81
psymonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I asked the above question in the beginners forum and was informed that the rest isn't necessary for a toasting as light as this, in case anyone else has this question.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #82
stbnj
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just mashed in on this one, followed the recipe pretty exactly. I am however going to split the batch between s04 and wlp005. I have never had a Redhook ESB but if its anything like any of the other bitters I have tried this should be really good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #83
hebbs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hit all my numbers in the mash, left in primary x2 weeks, FG between 1.010 and 1.015, so right on the money! Pre-carb taste test is spectacular, can't wait to get this one in the keg tomorrow and carbonate this week!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #84
alaskana
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm looking for a good ESB extract recipe and I'm thinking of trying this extract version (created by pmoe) of Biermuncher's all-grain 'Captain Hooked on Bitters' recipe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoe View Post

5 lbs pale LME

2.5 lbs toasted malt
1 lb crystal 60L
0.5 lbs carapils

.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min)
.50 oz Tettnang [6.50%] (30 min)
.50 oz Williamette [4.60%] (20 min)
.50 oz Tettnang [6.50%] (5 min)

Not sure how to go about steeping the specialty grains. Maybe 1.5 gallons for 30 mins @ 155?
For those who tried this extract version, how did it turn out? I'm thinking of adding 6 pounds of LME instead of 5, but otherwise the recipe sounds good. Also, would victory work for the toasted malt?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #85
Redcat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If I made another extract version, I would follow that recipe, and use 6lbs Pale LME. I used a satchet of Nottingham instead of a liquid yeast.

I used Fuggles & Tett since I couldn't get Willamette at the time.

2.5lbs of Victory or Biscuit will work just fine. It turned out great, and I had a few BJCP judges say it was a good ESB.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #86
alaskana
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thanks!

Redcat, many thanks for your reply. I am really looking forward to trying this recipe out, and the Fuggle hops sound like a good substitution for the more traditional Williamette hops considering your beer earned a good review from a BJCP judge. Oh and I forgot to include in the above recipe snippet that Biermuncher recommended a 60 minute vs 30 minute soak for the grains (at least that's what I think he meant) which would effectively be a partial mash. Would you recommend this as well, or would you just do 30 mins at 160 instead of an hour?

I'm glad I found this recipe as for some reason I was having a hard time finding a tried and true extract ESB recipe.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #87
Redcat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did 60 minutes at 160 like Biermuncher recommended. Since the specialty grains and Victory/Biscuit malt don't have much diastatic power you may not get much additional yield which is why I would go to 6lbs Pale LME.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #88
alaskana
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the info Redcat! I'll go ahead and do the 60 minute steep since you did it as well and seemed to have pretty good results (and yeah will definitely do 6 lbs lme (or maybe even 6.5). I'm brewing this on Thursday and I will let you know how it turns out!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #89
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Just sat down with a bottle of Red Hook ESB and decided I wanted to make it. This recipe looks great, I think I'll put it together right quick! Going to scale it down to 8 gallons and go as written in the OP. I could toast the 5# of 2-row or go with 1# of biscuit - any advice on this?

Old 09-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #90
hebbs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
Just sat down with a bottle of Red Hook ESB and decided I wanted to make it. This recipe looks great, I think I'll put it together right quick! Going to scale it down to 8 gallons and go as written in the OP. I could toast the 5# of 2-row or go with 1# of biscuit - any advice on this?
I considered doing the 5# toasted but got the 1lb biscuit. It was dead on - if I brew this again (WHEN i brew this again) I will continue to use biscuit malt. If you decide to go the other way, we should exchange

Quick Reply