Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Captain Hooked on Bitters (Red Hook Clone & Award Winner)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #31
zonabb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Need a little hops help on this. If I buy Tettnang and Willamette and the AA is lower that what is shown in this recipe, is is better to add more (weight) or boil longer to get the IBUs right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2009, 02:18 AM   #32
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonabb View Post
Need a little hops help on this. If I buy Tettnang and Willamette and the AA is lower that what is shown in this recipe, is is better to add more (weight) or boil longer to get the IBUs right?
Add more. Better science that way. Plus, this beer likes a bit of the hops invasion...being a "bitters" and all.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #33
St. Jon's Wort
Recipes 

Can I split the grain and hop bill to do a 5.5 gallon batch? Also, do you recommend a switch out of MO for the PA and 1 lb of biscuit for the toasted malt? The redhook website says that they use a "premium western two-row barley malt" so I'm assuming that they use a good American 2-row Pale Ale malt.

Also, does the dry-hopping add the missing hop flavor/aroma from your first batch or was it unneccessary? What did you dry hop with and how much?

Last edited by St. Jon's Wort; 08-20-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #34
quinnae
Recipes 

Default Marris Otter

I would also like to use Marris Otter in this brew. I read somewhere that if you substitute MO for 2-row you can use less. How much less should I Use?

If that is not correct I was thinking of using 15lb of MO and 5 LB 2-row toasted. Would that Work?

Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #35
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnae View Post
I would also like to use Marris Otter in this brew. I read somewhere that if you substitute MO for 2-row you can use less. How much less should I Use?

If that is not correct I was thinking of using 15lb of MO and 5 LB 2-row toasted. Would that Work?
Use the same amount regardless of which base malt you choose.

15 and 5 sounds just fine.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:15 AM   #36
Jknapp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Guys/Gals -
Question on this one.. Tomorrow I'm at 3 weeks in the fermenter. I took a Hydro sample today.. Its at 1.022 - high considering the recipe, but ZERO activity in the 2ndary currently. That's about 62% attenuation.

It tastes great, but I'm concerned about this FG. I aimed for 157 for the mash, but may have been a degree higher, but I don't think it was much more than that.

I didn't use a starter and I used Wyeast 1098 - attenuation supposed to be in the 70ish range. The Activator pack was very sluggish to swell and the primary fermentation seemed slow to start.

Have any advice? Call it good and bottle, or try to get it to finish out more? Once I put it in the 2ndary, I moved it to a 69-70 degree area in my house, so its in warm area if that could influence things.

Kinda not sure what to do with this one. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #37
quinnae
Recipes 

BierMuncher,

I read post number 3 where you said you would condition this beer differently. I do not typically transfer to a secondary. Do you think this beer would be clear if I primary this beer for 2 weeks, transfer to kegs and let age for 2 weeks then chill and let it sit in the keezer for 2 weeks before taping?

I am looking for clarification on your fermentation process. For this beer did you ferment in the primary for 7 days then rack to a secondary for 10 days then cold crash in the secondary before you keged it?

Last edited by quinnae; 10-29-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:17 AM   #38
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnae View Post
BierMuncher,

I read post number 3 where you said you would condition this beer differently. I do not typically transfer to a secondary. Do you think this beer would be clear if I primary this beer for 2 weeks, transfer to kegs and let age for 2 weeks then chill and let it sit in the keezer for 2 weeks before taping?

I am looking for clarification on your fermentation process. For this beer did you ferment in the primary for 7 days then rack to a secondary for 10 days then cold crash in the secondary before you keged it?
I don't cold crash in the secondary. Too much work lugging that carboy in and out of a chest freezer. I always rack to a keg and then cold crash. Your scenario in your first paragraph will work just fine.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #39
justflow1983
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiebrewery View Post
Made mine on saturday fermenting happily in my chest freezer right now... I split the batch and instead of doing a 11 g I only did a 9g batch... I forgot to toast 3 lbs of 2 row so I adjusted my total mash grains accordingly and what not...

I split the yeasts between S-04 and Nottingham to see which version I like more with what yeast... If this beer turns out how I imagine it to turn out I will brew a Fullers Clone next time...

I am pretty fond of a good ESB
Any news on which yeast you preferred?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #40
Jknapp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

FYI, all you folks who are thinking of brewing this, this beer is my favorite beer I have brewed thus far.

My goal in homebrewing was to brew a beer that rivals commercially crafted microbrews, and I can say now that I have satisfied that acheivement with this one.

This is ONE DELICIOUS BEER! Great recipe! Thank you BM!

Quick Reply