Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Captain Hooked on Bitters (Red Hook Clone & Award Winner)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #101
DHdriver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm thinking of brewing up the extract version of this with a couple changes and hoping for some opinions.
6lbs pale LME
1lb toasted malt
1lb crystal 60L
1/2lb carapils

For the hops I was going to keep it the same but then I wondered about subbing Centennial for the Tettnang (with a slight reduction int quantity to keep the IBUs the same) to get a little more citrus (and I have an extra ounce laying around, I also have an ounce of willamette)?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #102
DHdriver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Edit: ordered online, I'm going to cut back the toasted malt to 1lb and keep the hops the same

Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #103
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So I thought I'd post the details of my attempt at Captain Hooked on Bitters along with my notes from brew day. I'm 13 days into fermentation and plan to leave it in primary for 21 days before bottling. I'm a little concerned about the recommended carb vol on the calculators I've used, so I've bumped it up to 2.0. That may change based on more research.

Type: All Grain Date: 1/1/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal Brewer: Pete
Boil Size: 6.76 gal
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Pete's Brewing Equipment-All Grain
End of Boil Volume 5.51 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.96 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 76.7 %
Fermentation: Ale, Pete's Single Stage

Ingredients
9 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Victory Malt
0.75 oz Fuggles [4.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.75 oz Fuggles [4.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.75 oz Hallertauer [4.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg British Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1098)(Starter made)

Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.7 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 1.2 %
Bitterness: 29.6 IBUs Calories: 62.9 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 11.3 SRM

Mash Name: Pete's All Grain Mash Single Infusion, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 8.0 oz
Sparge Water: 4.55 gal Grain Temperature: 70.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 170.0 F
Mash In Add 18.38 qt of water at 168.0 F 158.0 F 60 min
Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 4.55gal) of 170.0 F water

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.0
Pressure/Weight: 3.12 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 3.12 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 21.00 days

Notes

Original Recipe from BierMuncher on Home Brew Talk called for .5 oz Willamette hops and .5 oz of Tettnang hops. LHBS was out of both so I substituted Fuggles for Willamette and Hallertau (German) for Tettnang. I adjusted both to bring the IBU's to 30 which is the minimum for this style. Original recipe calls for 25.8 IBU's. LHBS was also out of Biscuit malt so he substituted Victory.

Brewing notes:
Had trouble hitting my mash temp. I forgot to move the grains from the basement the night before and they were 62F. Even though I pre-heated the MLT, I only hit 151F after dough-in. I added 1 gal of boiling water and got the temp up to 153F. at 30 mins added another gal of boiling water and finally hit mash temp of 158F. I mashed for 75 mins to make up for the low early temps. Sparging was 180F water and double sparged to bring my pre-boil volume to 6.75 gals.
Pre-Boil SG was 1.050
Boiled for 15 mins prior to adding hops to bring volume down and started my 60 boil at first hop addition. Added irish moss with 10 mins remaining. Pitched 18 hr old starter at 65F. It was a cold day so wort was about 61F by the time I moved it inside. I let it sit at room temp for a number of hrs before moving it to basement. Has been fermenting 13 days at 68F. Took a gravity reading today SG-1.019. My gravity readings are spot on with what Beersmith estimated.

I wish I my LHBS had all the recommended ingredients, but hey...I'm up for a little experimentation. I plan on cold crashing for 5 days after 3 weeks fermentation. Can't wait to try this one. Any ideas about carb volume? Calculators are showing me around 1.5. Seems a little low to me.

Primary#1: Currently Empty
Primary#2: Currently Empty
Primary#3: Currently Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Currently Nothing
Kegged: Pete's Cream Ale
Drinking:Biermuncher's ESB, Kolsh, Rapture Red Ale, Blonde Ale, Pete's Winter Vanilla Porter, Honey Cream Ale, Old Fezziwig Christmas Ale, Pete's Golden APA, Burt's IPA, Bells Two-Hearted IPA Clone,
On Deck: Stout
BierMuncher Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 AM   #104
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I'm starting to worry about this one. Brewed it up just after New Year's Day, but had trouble with the mash. I was doughing in when I realized my drain was open on the mash tun, and by the time I'd fixed it all and finally got the mash going it was about 10 degrees low. Took 30 mins to get some extra water heated to bring it up to temp. My numbers were all good from there, but I sampled it from the primary a few days ago and it tasted really thin and lifeless. I hope it comes around in the bottle. I've got 8 gallons of it!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #105
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bottled and ready to condition for 3 weeks. Cold crashed this for 5 days at 38F before bottling.

Drinking:Biermuncher's ESB, Kolsh, Rapture Red Ale, Blonde Ale, Pete's Winter Vanilla Porter, Honey Cream Ale, Old Fezziwig Christmas Ale, Pete's Golden APA, Burt's IPA, Bells Two-Hearted IPA Clone,
BierMuncher Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #106
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
I'm starting to worry about this one. Brewed it up just after New Year's Day, but had trouble with the mash. I was doughing in when I realized my drain was open on the mash tun, and by the time I'd fixed it all and finally got the mash going it was about 10 degrees low. Took 30 mins to get some extra water heated to bring it up to temp. My numbers were all good from there, but I sampled it from the primary a few days ago and it tasted really thin and lifeless. I hope it comes around in the bottle. I've got 8 gallons of it!
Once fully bottle conditioned, the added carbonation should lend a fullness to the beer that was lacking in the primary. My primary samples always taste "thinner" than the finished product.
SilverZero Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #107
brewbeerry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

does the toasted 2 row need to sit a while to mellow out like all the toasting malt threads suggest? or can it be done on the same day as brewing/day before? was planning on brewing this 2 days from now but could always push it back a week if need be. looks like a great recipe, cant wait to brew!

EDIT: actually found the answer for this recipe in a different thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/toas...estions-66810/

Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #108
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbeerry View Post
does the toasted 2 row need to sit a while to mellow out like all the toasting malt threads suggest? or can it be done on the same day as brewing/day before? was planning on brewing this 2 days from now but could always push it back a week if need be. looks like a great recipe, cant wait to brew!

EDIT: actually found the answer for this recipe in a different thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/toas...estions-66810/
I toast the night before I crush. Results have been......satisfactory.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 02-08-2013, 03:52 AM   #109
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I put one in the fridge last night and tired it tonight at 2 weeks bottle conditioning. It was really fantastic! Another week and this will be perfect. I was afraid that since my LHBS was out of some of original recipe ingredients that I'd be disappointed in the results. The wife tried it to and loved it. Cheers and thanks BierMuncher for an awesome recipe.

BierMuncher Likes This 
Old 02-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #110
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Man, I love this stuff. Every time I drink another, it gets better than the one before. This one's not gonna last. Very well balanced, really nice hop taste throughout the entire taste with a nice burst at the end, but definitely not over-done. I'm not a hop-head and this is just perfect.

BierMuncher Likes This 

Quick Reply