Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Captain Hooked on Bitters (Red Hook Clone & Award Winner)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #91
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Subscribed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #92
G_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewing up a batch of this tonight...

I know i'm going to get reamed out for this, but i substituted the willamette for cascades..... it's all i had in stock! every other ingredient i had in stock and wanted to brew tonight..... hopefully it turns out ok... they're about the same % AA.. so IBUs should be about the same...

i'm thinking it should still be really good, just maybe not completely true to the style...

Go brew something!!! :)

Old 11-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #93
Tarks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just curious, what levels you are carbing this beer? I have put this recipe into beersmith and will be brewing this up this weekend. Beersmith is giving me a carb vol of (.8 - 1.3) in the English Pale Ale 6.6 category. Seems low to me.

Also, after toasting the base malt are you letting the malt sit for a week or two in a paper bag? I have read that this can help to mellow the malt out a bit.

Thanks!

Old 11-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #94
terrenum
Recipes 

Looking to brew this beer next weekend. Don't have my AG equipment since damaged in a fire....

Anyone happy with their result brewing this extract + grains?
If so what did you use?
Thanks

Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #95
MI_Troll
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarks
Just curious, what levels you are carbing this beer? I have put this recipe into beersmith and will be brewing this up this weekend. Beersmith is giving me a carb vol of (.8 - 1.3) in the English Pale Ale 6.6 category. Seems low to me.

Also, after toasting the base malt are you letting the malt sit for a week or two in a paper bag? I have read that this can help to mellow the malt out a bit.

Thanks!
Not sure what is the recommended range, but from experience it is better to under-carb an ESB than over-carb. The carbonation tends to obscure the malty goodness. At the time I couldn't figure out why my final hydrometer sample tasted like a loaf of freshly baked bread but the final product had none of that. After several batches of preferring my hydrometer sample to the finished product it finally occurred to me to dial back the carbonation. Been a happier beer drinker ever since.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #96
terrenum
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdzitter
Hey All, I'm looking to use this recipe as my first foray into specialty grain steeping using pmoe's substitutions listed on page 3. Well, I brought in the list to my LHBS and the owner got wide eyed at the amount of toasted malt (2.5 lbs) for a 5 gal batch. I ended up going with the following modifications:

1) .5 lb each of toasted, carapils, and crystal 60
2) Burton Ale Yeast

Am I shooting myself in the foot with these simplifications?

Thanks!
How did it turned out? I also find the amount of toasted grain on page 3 very high....

Old 12-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #97
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've been subbed to this thread for awhile, waiting for the day to brew this one. Looks like I'm off to the LHBS to pick up the ingredients. I think I'll do a starter today and brew this tomorrow. Looks like a fantastic recipe and since I love Red Hook ESB, I can't wait to try this one.

Primary#1: Currently Empty
Primary#2: Currently Empty
Primary #3: Currently Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Rapture Red Ale, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Pete's Cream Ale
Drinking:Biermuncher's ESB, Kolsh, Pete's Winter Vanilla Porter, Honey Cream Ale, Robust Porter, Old Fezziwig Christmas Ale, Pete's Golden APA, Burt's IPA, Bells Two-Hearted IPA Clone, Chocolate Milk Stout
On Deck: Not sure yet.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #98
pellis007
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well, LHBS didn't have the recommended hops for this recipe. So according to the Brew365 hop substitution chart I went with Fuggles 4.2% AA for the Willamette, and Hallertau (German) 4.3% AA for the Tettnang. I've adjusted the IBU's up to 30.3 in Beersmith to bring the bitterness up to the minimum recommended IBU's for this style. That came to .75 oz for each hop addition. Grains look well crushed so I was happy with that. The yeast was dated 11/7/12 so it's viability was only 62.31% so I'll do a starter. Now I see why I order my stuff online most of the time. Any comments on the hops substitution? I'll be brewing this New Year's day. Thanks!

Primary#1: Currently Empty
Primary#2: Currently Empty
Primary #3: Currently Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Rapture Red Ale, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Pete's Cream Ale
Drinking:Biermuncher's ESB, Kolsh, Pete's Winter Vanilla Porter, Honey Cream Ale, Robust Porter, Old Fezziwig Christmas Ale, Pete's Golden APA, Burt's IPA, Bells Two-Hearted IPA Clone, Chocolate Milk Stout
On Deck: Not sure yet.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #99
46binder
Recipes 

Brewed this one, smelled great, beautiful color. Will be bottling soon.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #100
Tarks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I brewed this one up 6 weeks ago and poured my 1st glass from the keg this afternoon. This beer is excellent and will be in my regular rotation. Thanks BierMuncher! So, I ended up carbing this up to 1.9 volumes. Perfect IMO. I have never had the Redhook ESB so I can't say anything regarding how close of a clone this is but it really doesn't matter. This beer is friggen good. Cheers!

Quick Reply