Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Befuggled (ESB)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
stpug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 146

It's hard to say EXACTLY that I'm not fond of the earthiness.... just that in the few brews I've made with fuggles (esb variants) that I've noticed an unfamiliar characteristic that stood out. This same thing happened to me when I first tried saison; after a couple examples I was a fan!! Plus, I have about 12-14 oz of fuggles I'm needing to work through. What better way to determine if you're a fan of a particular hop, and use up a supply, than make a beer that specifically showcases the hop (bitter, flavor, and aroma)? Plus, I've often found in life that it just takes repeated experience with some things unfamiliar/unusual to begin appreciating it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 508 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
It's hard to say EXACTLY that I'm not fond of the earthiness.... just that in the few brews I've made with fuggles (esb variants) that I've noticed an unfamiliar characteristic that stood out. This same thing happened to me when I first tried saison; after a couple examples I was a fan!! Plus, I have about 12-14 oz of fuggles I'm needing to work through. What better way to determine if you're a fan of a particular hop, and use up a supply, than make a beer that specifically showcases the hop (bitter, flavor, and aroma)? Plus, I've often found in life that it just takes repeated experience with some things unfamiliar/unusual to begin appreciating it
Bingo!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 10-02-2013, 03:13 AM   #13
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Took longer than expected but it's in a fermenter and the yeast is patiently waiting to destroy those malt sugars. I basically went with your new grainbill percentages, and then made some minor tweaks. I went with crisp 77 for my crystal, and dropped the pale chocolate because it's going to go on tap next to an amber and I didn't want them both to be basically the same color (I know; picky, picky). I'm trying out Mangrove Jack's Burton Union for this one so who knows how it'll come out. I'll post back with some tasting notes in a few weeks.

Thanks for the inspiration to go big or go home (with Fuggles, that is)

Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
I'll post back with some tasting notes in a few weeks . . . Thanks for the inspiration to go big or go home (with Fuggles, that is)
Look forward to hearing your results. Been brewing with a lot of American hops lately, but will be serving a crowd at Thanksgiving and need something to contrast that. You may have inspired me to revisit this recipe. Thanks!

Quick Reply