Turkeyfest Ale (Octoberfest hybrid)
7 lbs Pale LME
.5 lb Munich
.5 lb Cara Munich
.5 lb Crystal 15L
1oz Northern Brewer (full boil)
1oz Hallertau (w/ 2 mins left)
5oz Corn sugar (added at start of boil)
1. Steep grains for 20-30 minutes and remove just before boiling
2. Bring to a boil. Add LME and corn sugar (optional)
3. Add Northern Brewer hops as it returns to boil
4. Boil for 30 minutes (yes, only 30 minutes)
5. Add Hallertau with 2 minutes left in boil
6. Chill to 70 degrees, pitch yeast, agitate a little, and put her away for at least 2 weeks
We brewed this specifically for Thanksgiving as we were late to the party to try and brew an Octoberfest. Used lighter 15L so it would be good for our wives too (you can ditch the sugar and use 90L for a variation).
This yeast took 3 days to get rolling, but apparently that is normal with this strain.
Beer turned out excellent and will be a tradition every year now. We cracked the first bottle a week into bottle conditioning, but unanimously agreed that it was better at the 2 week mark. With the added sugar we estimated this around 6% and did the job in getting us ready for a Turkey Day feast.
|All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14 PM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.