Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Pottsville Common (Yeungling Lager Attempt)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

im gonna make sure i can stay in the low 60s and give this bad boy a try very soon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #12
smarek82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has this been tasted yet? All the numbers add up fairly well and the grain bill looks good, but at 21 IBU, I think it might be slightly high. Also, the 30 min addition of cascade is going to give it that citrusy flavor. I don't think lager has any citrusy notes. I would be hopping with galena, cluster, glacier, perle, etc.....hops with earthy tones.

What is the cali lager giving to this beer too? I think this might be a good canidate for a neutral ale yeast fermented low. I wish this was a thread to clone lord chesterfield, but you take what you can.

Keg 1: Coal Miner's Daugter Porter
Keg 2: Red October
Keg 3: Hopsolutely

Bottled: 1 Vienna Lagers; Erins Irish Red; Pils, Christmas Doppel, Addy's Amber Ale(competition brew), Mayden Voyage Blonde Ale

Primary:
Secondary:
Future: Something Belgian, ESB

Old 04-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #13
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My question was not the cascade but the chinook. According to yuelengs website they use cascade and cluter hops for the traditional lager. However, I am assuming the cluster is for bittering which would male chinook a good substitute correct?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #14
skeeordye11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
My question was not the cascade but the chinook. According to yuelengs website they use cascade and cluter hops for the traditional lager. However, I am assuming the cluster is for bittering which would male chinook a good substitute correct?
My LHBS said they had Cluster hops on their webiste, but when I showed up this was not the case. One of the guys there siggested Chinook as a sub, so I adjusted for the higher AA%. I would def want to use the Cluster if I did it again.

As far as the side by side test on this. Yeungling was def clearer than mine, which is pretty much to be expected. The flavor was right on, but mine did taste noticably thinner than the Yeungling believe it or not. I would probably reduce the corn next time, but the flavor was right there. I was really surprised how close it was to the real thing on my first attempt.

As far as the Cascades and the yeast, I did not pick up any higher fruitiness in mine vs the Yeungling. A neutral yeast fermented cool think would do just fine. I would really like to do this again using a lager yeast once I get myself an extra fridge. I am really looking forward to seeing someone elses results with this recipe.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #15
snevey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Just wanted to post an update to the process of my brew... I bottled this beer last Monday (4/19/2010). I had it fermenting for 3 weeks, the last 1.5 weeks were at about 58-62 degrees in an ice water bath. All the hydro samples were delicious! Well, out of curiosity, my brew-sistant and I popped one in the freezer for an hour and then the fridge for 30 minutes to sample one. Well, after only 5 days of conditioning it was nicely carbed already, but the taste was very sweet. Probably because all the sugar from bottling hasn't been handled yet.

But it didn't taste like Yeungling at all yet. Now, I did deviate from the recipe with different yeast and different procedures. I used Nottingham and fermented it as an ale, not a lager. But, when this mellows out, it will be a GREAT beer. Great recipe!!!

Steve

Old 04-29-2010, 01:37 AM   #16
snevey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Another update... I threw one in the fridge yesterdat, since when I opened one 4 days ago, even at only 5 days carbed, it was carbed nicely. I just drank this, and even with one day cold conditioning and 9 carbing, it is freaking awesome. When I tried it 4 days ago, I threw it in the freezer for a while, then the fridge for about 30 minutes. Majorly rushing it. The taste is totally different today and I can't wait until it's actually "ready" to drink.

There is definitely a Yeungling similarity in this brew...

Steve

Old 05-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #17
tommy
Recipes 

would you change the chinook hops to cluster at .5 oz and the corn to 2.0 lbs. I would like to try this tomorrow.

thanks tom

Old 05-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #18
skeeordye11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
would you change the chinook hops to cluster at .5 oz and the corn to 2.0 lbs. I would like to try this tomorrow.

thanks tom
Sorry for the delayed response as you have probably already brewed this, but yes. 1/2 oz Cluster was what I had intended on until I couldn't find it at the LHBS. And I think 2# of corn would be a good way to go as well. Also, using something other than crystal 80 would be another change I would make. perhaps a 50/50 mix of 120 and 40 to try and darker it a little? I'll have to think about that one. I'm hoping to get a fridge soon since I just moved this past weekend and try some cooler fermentation temps. Or I could just use my second bathtub as a sort of swamp cooler? We shall see. I hope yours turns out! Cheers!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:40 AM   #19
tommy
Recipes 

I used 1/2 oz cluster hops, 2 1/4 lbs of the corn, crystal 90, and WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast. Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 58-65°F the basment is 61°F at this time.

thanks for the reply

Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #20
Jbt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am give this a try this week end and mash a 153 for 60min and see how it turns out.

Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 6.394 gal
Boil Time: 60min
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.016
ABV: 4.5%
Bitterness: 19.3 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 9 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================== ==============================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Corn, Flaked Grain 2.000 lb Yes No 80% 1 L
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 8.000 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 72% 120 L
Carafoam Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 72% 2 L

Hops
================================================== ==============================
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Cascade 6.2% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 7.7
Cluster 7.2% 0.500 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 11.6

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - California Lager Lager Liquid 0.528 cup Primary

Quick Reply